Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023367 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: wait, 40K has religious overtones?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
« Reply #6915 on: October 05, 2016, 11:14:56 pm »

God damn you, autocorrect.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6916 on: October 06, 2016, 03:29:02 am »

I maintain the idea that the Imperium has desperate planetary cultures but also a unitary "galactic culture", which is where thrones come in.
It's like an exaggerated version of the international cosmopolitanism you see from people in cities the world over, even when some of those cities are in countries with very, very different rural cultures.
Things all 40k imperial cultures will have in common:
  • At least the higher ups, nobles, aristocracy, bureaucracy or technocrats will speak some variant of old gothic or binary, forming the lingua franca, legal language and scientific language of the 40k verse. They may also have low gothic or local languages / language all over the place. Food for thought, can the languages of the adep mech have accented technospeak? I imagine there must be at least one forge world that speaks 1337
  • Skulls will be everywhere in some form, in some cases floating about as servoskulls (maybe Khorne would attack the Imperium more if they hid their skulls, really asking for it when your neighbours want skulls for the skull throne)
  • The quadruple taboo/paranoia of mutants, heretics, xenos and AI
  • Emperor venerated in various states of depicted godliness
  • All have their institutions under the control of institutions set up by terra. It is altogether surprising how on the galactic scale the Imperium manages to keep their bureaucracy, industry and military standardized, and is probably the least believable thing about the setting (or perhaps, more believable given the several thousands of years of stagnation that allowed them to standardize).
  • If you have gold, plate everything in gold. If you don't have gold, build gothic architecture out of ferrocrete. If you don't know how to build gothic architecture, adorn your normal buildings in skulls and saintly statues. Nomads who don't use houses just keep skulls and aquilas on their person.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: October 06, 2016, 06:50:29 am »

You forgot the PDF.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: October 06, 2016, 09:07:23 am »

Actually in pretty sure language is pretty uniformed, dialected to be completely ununderstandable without a translator but still the same language.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6919 on: October 06, 2016, 12:10:32 pm »

Low Gothic is pretty much everywhere, yes, but it also appears to differ a lot. It's more of a common roots - after all, both English and German are Germanic languages, and quite possibly all of the Low Gothic versions come from one that has been spoken by all the colonists back in the day... possibly High Gothic or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: October 06, 2016, 12:11:47 pm »

I thought high gothic was always Latin and low gothic was some nine billion pidgins.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: October 06, 2016, 12:22:56 pm »

To be precise, High Gothic is fake Latin. Although it's a lot less fake now than it used to be. It used to be a policy for 40k writers that if they had something in High Gothic, find out the actual Latin Translation for it, then intentionally fuck up that translation.

Low Gothic is literally English.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cergos

• Bay Watcher
  • Ambushed at Embark x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: October 06, 2016, 03:02:47 pm »

It used to be a policy for 40k writers that if they had something in High Gothic, find out the actual Latin Translation for it, then intentionally fuck up that translation.

I could live without those five declensions each with six cases. However, I always thought that simplifying latin, with less convoluted case and word order, actually made High Gothic more believable as a practical language.
But ehh, I guess good ole' Latin worked well enough in the past, so it makes some sense.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: October 06, 2016, 04:05:58 pm »

I don't think the intention is quite that well thought out.

For example, Tormentor is Latin is (according to Google translate) is Tortorem.

A 40k writer might change that just so it's not straight Latin (Tortorum) or just to make it sound more badass (Torturatis.)

Here's probably the best example though: Exterminate in Latin is exterminare. Doesn't quite have the same ring as "Exterminatus" though does it? A lot of Latin word endings done properly just don't sound as badass as fake Latin.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:12:19 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6924 on: October 06, 2016, 04:58:23 pm »

A 40k writer might change that just so it's not straight Latin (Tortorum) or just to make it sound more badass (Torturatis.)
Torturatis doesn't sound badass. It sounds fucking hilarious. Like, something from goddamn Asterix and Obelix.

Here's probably the best example though: Exterminate in Latin is exterminare. Doesn't quite have the same ring as "Exterminatus" though does it? A lot of Latin word endings done properly just don't sound as badass as fake Latin.
Exterminatus is a noun. Exterminate is a verb.
I think (note that I have no fucking idea how to Latin, not that many people have) proper noun would be Exterminii in singular or Exterminiorum in plural.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: October 06, 2016, 05:05:43 pm »

Im pretty sure you can exterminatus a world, no?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: October 06, 2016, 05:06:25 pm »

It'd be declaring exterminatus, but exterminati otherwise
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: October 06, 2016, 06:49:37 pm »

Like, something from goddamn Asterix and Obelix.

It pleases me to know someone else is aware of Asterix and Obelix. Grew up reading the comics as a kid and developed an unhealthy fascination with roasted boar because of it.

Exterminii

It's been a few years since I took Latin, but generally stuff ending in "i" is "of something." Also I think proper nouns end in "um" in Latin. Again, it's been a while.

edit: nm, us vs. um is just where you follow in the sentence order, subject object, etc...

The point IS, 40k writers don't give a fuck about the actual rules of Latin. They just call it what sounds good. Something about the rules of language being lost over time, yadda yadda.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 06:55:17 pm by nenjin »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: October 06, 2016, 06:52:26 pm »

-um is if its the subject.
otherwise its just the name.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: October 06, 2016, 06:54:43 pm »

I just wanted an exuce to say exterminati confirmed
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 824