Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1026528 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: wait, 40K has religious overtones?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
« Reply #6465 on: September 10, 2016, 07:33:26 pm »

DIGGANOBZ.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: September 10, 2016, 08:06:02 pm »

Tzeentch by himself can be easily beaten so long as you're operating on the same level as him, like the Emperor or Cegorach. Tzeentch might be extremely powerful but he spends a lot of his power - maybe most of it - attacking himself. The only reason the plan to KO the Emperor worked is because he was working with the other three Chaos Gods under Chaos Undivided, otherwise it would've failed hard.

Even then the plan wasn't to KO the Emperor, but to completely kill him, which failed, highlighting the oft-forgotten fact that Chaos in any of its forms is neither omnipotent nor omniscient.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: September 10, 2016, 08:43:08 pm »

Chaos is aiming high, failing, and then claiming the result was your real plan the entire time.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: September 10, 2016, 08:48:38 pm »

It's just one big puppet theatre. It's just puppet pals all the way down.

I wonder who the 'nids might be working for, but I've always rather liked their basic motivation; OM NOM NOM! Presumably, there's another hidden God of hunger or something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: September 10, 2016, 09:02:38 pm »

Iirc the canon or whatever suggests that the 'nids aren't so much following anything particular as they are running the hell away from something, and the om-nom is just how they keep themselves hauling exoskeleton.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: September 10, 2016, 09:04:30 pm »

I wonder who the 'nids might be working for, but I've always rather liked their basic motivation; OM NOM NOM! Presumably, there's another hidden God of hunger or something.
So, actually, this sort of hits on a question I've been wondering out.

What would happen if you just left the galaxy?
Is it 'nids in every direction? Does the fucked-up-ness/Chaos-taint of the warp extend out of the galaxy, or is it just localized?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: September 10, 2016, 09:07:53 pm »

It's only hinted that the Tyranids are running away from something and only through baseless speculation. There's no evidence to suggest that it's anything more than them looking for the next meal.

Is it 'nids in every direction? Does the fucked-up-ness/Chaos-taint of the warp extend out of the galaxy, or is it just localized?
I remember reading somewhere that the Mechanicus sent a probe out and only heard signals that hinted at Orks and Tyranids, but I don't remember where I read it (I'm pretty sure it was a forum post) and it could very easily be false.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: September 10, 2016, 09:11:59 pm »

There's a strong level of belief "galaxy=universe", and only a select few creatures are known to be beyond it, notably Tyrannids and Necrons (although *now* that may be non-canon). With the Necrons its that one depressed C'tan and the Silent King, and obviously the Nids are Nids. For all we know everything is fine outside of the galaxy. Can you warp outside of the galaxy? If you could, it would imply the warp extends in all directions (or at least the Immaterium does).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: September 10, 2016, 09:12:05 pm »

All of the various sci-fi all-consuming bioplague races escaped from the same interuniversal zoo. The 'nids are the ones that the keepers chased.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: September 10, 2016, 09:15:32 pm »

So, actually, this sort of hits on a question I've been wondering out.

The warp sort of ends at the edge of the galaxy, I think. Dunno about 'nids though. I suppose it's possible not every galaxy has been consumed.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: September 10, 2016, 09:22:07 pm »

It's only hinted that the Tyranids are running away from something and only through baseless speculation. There's no evidence to suggest that it's anything more than them looking for the next meal.
Utterly baseless.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: September 10, 2016, 09:24:42 pm »

It will turn out the Old Ones also intended for all of this to happen, somehow.

So...if Empy was collective psyker experience of hundreds or thousands of shamans and druids...and Ynnead is gonna be collective tota experence of however many Eldar have been placed into Infinity Circuits...

Also,  as far as the Nids are concerned, I thought so remembered it being something like the Astronomican being the giant delicious flame the moth is drawn to.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: September 10, 2016, 09:28:28 pm »

Iirc the canon or whatever suggests that the 'nids aren't so much following anything particular as they are running the hell away from something, and the om-nom is just how they keep themselves hauling exoskeleton.

In my mind, it's the waitor from the previous galaxy, chasing them with the bill.

All of the various sci-fi all-consuming bioplague races escaped from the same interuniversal zoo. The 'nids are the ones that the keepers chased.

They evidently did not feed their pets properly. I hope there are some elder cosmic animal welfare office investigating them.
"Animal cruelty scandal! Insect dinosaur pets abandoned to fend for themselves."

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: September 10, 2016, 10:58:13 pm »

So...if Empy was collective psyker experience of hundreds or thousands of shamans and druids...and Ynnead is gonna be collective tota experence of however many Eldar have been placed into Infinity Circuits...
Not as powerful as you might expect. Remember, the shamans used the power of reincarnation to live over a hundred thousand years before they became the Emperor in a time when the secrets of the Warp had never been easier to access since before the War in Heaven. Current Farseers - with the possible exception of Eldrad - are all less than ten thousand years old. The human shamans of old actually had much more Warp knowledge and experience (and thus power) than the Eldar of today, as surprising as it may be to some.

What they're trying to do now is what the Imperium did to create the Siegfried - using a certain piece of technology and cobbling it together with another to do something it was never meant to do. The purpose of the infinity circuits wasn't to create a god, and while they're capable of doing that, the only reason the Eldar are using the circuits to do so is because that's the best thing they have in order to accomplish their goal, lacking the knowledge of the shamans to do it right.

In conclusion, not only do they not have close to the same level of psychic ability and knowledge as the shamans, but they're using a sub-optimal method to make their god. The end result will likely have enough power to beat Slaanesh, as intended, but only by brute-forcing enough Eldar souls to increase its power level, and even then it's an inferior product compared to the Emperor since it's a god with no material body.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: September 11, 2016, 12:00:02 am »

Humans haven't been around in a meaningful way for a hundred thousand years before the Emperor was created, so I call hijinks as well as bullshit on that part.

Like honestly where are you getting any of your info from Andres, because particularly that stuff about human shamans having more power than the best psykers of the literally all-psychic race that nearly went extinct as a direct result of such sounds, well...

And what you talkin; bout, Craftworlds make fine bodies
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 824