Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1026802 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #525 on: May 12, 2015, 09:25:48 am »

Oh! Right. Meanwhile I was shouting blindly at my computer 'I can't be Wrong on the Internet!?!'

Before scrolling up slightly, because why bother thinking when you can just annoy people until they spell it out for you.

Which brings up:
Curious what book said a Space Marine made a baby with a human woman.
Tried to track it down. Still can't find it. Urgh.

Makes me wonder if there was ever a virus that was also a ghost! A ghost disease!
Spoiler: Made me think of: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:28:18 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 12, 2015, 09:43:20 am »

Wait wait wait, 40K does have cloning, at least I think so, I recall reading something about when not enought criminals where at hand to lobotomize and turn into servitors clones would be used instead.

As for cell cultives, the Mechanicus must have this for growing all kind of replacement organs (yes, there's a division that do organic stuff instead of replacing your pancreas with a radiator).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 12, 2015, 09:53:29 am »

40k has cloning tech. It's just not that great. As pointed out, it sucks at cloning limbs. I imagine the reason clones haven't replaced servitors by now is that the brains of clones are less than stellar, ergo they a poor base for a machine. Also I think the longevity of Mechanicum-cloned flesh is less than good old fashioned human made flesh. Servitors can work even though they're basically rotting apart, I don't know if cloned flesh would even last half as long.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:00:19 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 12, 2015, 09:59:52 am »

Hey, let's not equate '40k' with 'The imperium'.

The Imperium would IMO be the second-least technologically advanced race in the entire lore.
Given that I'd say the least is Orks, and that they in themselves are genetically engineered deathless killing machines- I'm kind of iffy on even that.

Far as I can tell, everyone else is Great at cloning.
Also, who'd want to clone a limb when Straken, Yarrick and Gaz all seem to be really enjoying their metal substitutes?
Screw that. Lose a hand, be a hero.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 12, 2015, 10:02:52 am »

Well, almost no one gives a shit about cloning except Chaos and the Imperium.

-Orks don't do cloning, they just breed.
-Eldar don't do cloning, because clones would have no souls.
-Dark Eldar do cloning, and end up with some fucked up shit that at the end of the day probably isn't much better than what the Imperium makes.
-Tau don't do cloning, I assume, because reasons.
-Tyranids don't do cloning as humans would understand it.
-Necrons don't do cloning, because ddderrrrrrrr.

I mean, who does that really leave? When you're talking cloning in 40k, you're basically talking humans, and when you're talking humans, you're either talking about the Imperium or Chaos.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 12, 2015, 10:09:43 am »

(yes, there's a division that do organic stuff instead of replacing your pancreas with a radiator).
Isn't that heretek?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 12, 2015, 10:16:58 am »

Wait wait wait, 40K does have cloning, at least I think so, I recall reading something about when not enough criminals where at hand to lobotomize and turn into servitors clones would be used instead.

As for cell cultives, the Mechanicus must have this for growing all kind of replacement organs (yes, there's a division that do organic stuff instead of replacing your pancreas with a radiator).

Most if not all tissue the Biologis branch of the Mechanicus grow is genetically engineered. They use vat grown gene-brutes to make praetorian battle servitors, lifter servitors and similar large servitors. They use Ogryn when available though, so there's probably a difference in quality between vat grown and womb born bodies for servitor purposes.

I do recall one book (Siege of Castellax, good book, I recommend it) mentioned that Embryo Farms where a thing, so the Imperium/Chaos certainly have access to artificial womb tech, which is presumably the same as used in vat grown body production, so it's possible that vat grown doesn't actually mean cloned anyway.  :-\
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 12, 2015, 10:20:07 am »

(yes, there's a division that do organic stuff instead of replacing your pancreas with a radiator).
Isn't that heretek?

Not necessarily. It's all about corrupting the Emperor's design. Do you improve kidney function by crafting new enzymes or improving the ones already present? Not heretek. Do you improve kidney function by making an entirely new kidney that doesn't even really look like a kidney or function using the same processes as a human kidney? Heretek.

The Emperor had the skills and license to create "new human organs" like what the Space Marines have. After him, that level of tampering is both incredibly difficult and viewed as heretical. (In the current Imperium, the human form is thought of as sacred and Emperor approved: humans are exactly as the Emperor wanted us to be. Fooling with that beyond juvenant treatments and some chemical shunts is considered heresy.)

There's also the stricture in the Mechanicus that is old is sacred, what is new and created is heresy. Found an STC for improved biological human lungs? Sacred! Invented new biological human lungs in a test tube? Heretek!

That said, it's only Heretek if you can prove it, and that can be hard to do with internal organs.

Wait wait wait, 40K does have cloning, at least I think so, I recall reading something about when not enough criminals where at hand to lobotomize and turn into servitors clones would be used instead.

Most if not all tissue the Biologis branch of the Mechanicus grow is genetically engineered. They use vat grown gene-brutes to make praetorian battle servitors, lifter servitors and similar large servitors. They use Ogryn when available though, so there's probably a difference in quality between vat grown and womb born bodies for servitor purposes.

I do recall one book (Siege of Castellax, good book, I recommend it) mentioned that Embryo Farms where a thing, so the Imperium/Chaos certainly have access to artificial womb tech, which is presumably the same as used in vat grown body production, so it's possible that vat grown doesn't actually mean cloned anyway.  :-\

I think that's really the difference. Growing stuff in a vat != cloning in the mind of the Imperium, because those things weren't human anyways. As I said, I think it's all about the corruption/alteration of the existing human form. No one cares if you grow a non-human in a vat to walk your luggage around. They DO care if you cause your valet, who is human, to grow a whole bunch of extra organs. (Extra organs being different than say, increasing their muscle mass or fusing their rib cage.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:31:10 am by nenjin »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 12, 2015, 10:21:12 am »

Well I looked it up and as far as I can tell...

Ghosts don't exist in Warhammer 40k

It might sound silly but that surprised me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 12, 2015, 10:22:02 am »

A ghost at best is a warp echo, I think, or a vision at worst.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 12, 2015, 10:23:16 am »

No. The Magos Biologis study meaty matters.

The Kreig keep their numbers up with something called a Vitae Womb, though what it is is never explained. Apparently the Mechanicus dislike it, but it's permitted because of the value of the Kreig.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 12, 2015, 11:46:55 am »

They technically do, just not in the normal fashion.

If the warp has begun to bleed into reality the spirits of the dead can interact with the material realm, but it's got more in common with daemonic incursions than normal hauntings. The Dark Heresy RPG books have a heretical machine that can summon the dead to answer questions.

Some of the Eldar Crone worlds in the Eye of Terror are still haunted by the spirits of the Eldar who died in the Fall, though it's implied to be because that's how Slaanesh torments some of them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 12, 2015, 05:37:24 pm »

Okay, I have a 40k related question.

What do you think the Tyranids are running from? They're my favorite race, hands down, and I kinda wonder what could cause an intergalactic superorganism to flee.

This question assumes that Tyranids ARE fleeing from something, just FYI
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 12, 2015, 05:57:12 pm »

An constantly expanding black hole?

I can't think of anything living the Tyrannid would flee from that wouldn't make all 4 chaos gods put together look like wimps. Unless there's something old, ancient, and incomprehensible that's been sleeping out in deep space since the creation of the universe, and the Tyrannid woke it up.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 12, 2015, 06:04:28 pm »

They don't exactly run from them, but I know Tyranids avoid Necrons rather strenuously. Maybe something like that. >.> A mechanical species of some sort. Or maybe an elder god type thing.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 824