Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1022401 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4576 on: June 27, 2016, 11:55:55 pm »

Space Marines have had the volume turned down on all their emotions except "Rage", "Hatred" and "Veneration."

The Horus Heresy books make it a point to state multiple times how they just don't feel shit like most people do except under very narrow circumstances. Like, they have a hard time even feeling sad when their bruvas die. They can be made at the dude that killed them, but actual remorse for their absence? Not so much.

I bet you fiction just ignores this fact whenever the main character is a Marine.

Just like StarCraft did with Sarah Kerrigan (Ghosts have emotional suppressants to control them)
Well see, if SPACE MARINES are larger than life in every respect, then having the volume turned down means they feel like normal humans. They can be sad when a brother dies, but they're soldiers. You channel that energy into rage. Hell, the average modern man is taught much the same. I am physically incapable of crying if other people are around. I have had instances where tears started streaming down my face, and I started sobbing, only once I was alone. I was not trying to put on a brace face or anything around them either. Not consciously.

Space Marines can be sad, but they're also the ultimate definition/fantasy of macho. Why would they show that sadness in the midst of battle unless it's an Achilles-esque moment?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4577 on: June 28, 2016, 06:30:59 am »

I do quite like this one bit in an Ultrasmurf book, one of the ones with Uriel in them, where they're assaulting some fortified position held by guardsmen. The guardsmen hold out rather admirably, their lasguns don't do all that much, but there's this surprisingly sombre moment when a 300 year old veteran or something is hit by a krak missile and the next moment half his body is gone. The spehss mahrines express a certain reflective quality before entering CQC with the guardsmen, at which point all is ogre

Makes sense too why CQC is so prominent in 40k. At range, spehss mahrines are superior, but even flashlights will eventually take them down. In CQC, guardsman have considerably more trouble killing a walking tank with their standard issue bayonet

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: June 28, 2016, 07:24:37 am »

In fluff spess mehreens are more or less walking cover. Or at least those in terminator armor are.

Anyways, bruvas are also different from humans psychologically due to their geneseed actualy affecting their psyche in a way or another, depending on which chapter they belong to. This is why imperial fists are all mostly somber, taciturn dweebs and blood angels have a propensity for fancy CQC/shock tactics, love of art and crying at sanguinala. The geneseed turns them partially into a fuzzy reflection of their primarch. You never hear of an dishonourable ultrasmurf or a salamander that hates people, for example.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: June 28, 2016, 07:46:24 am »

Or an introspective Space Wolf.

Also all ultrasmurfs are dishonourable, they're a big black beige mark on the space marines as an institution.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: June 28, 2016, 10:30:30 am »

There are plenty of upstanding Astartes, just look at that good old Fabius Bile fellow.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: June 28, 2016, 10:45:32 am »

Gives geneseed to those in need, redeemed Horus, attempting to resurrect the holy emperor.
Almost a better bro than Kharn.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: June 28, 2016, 01:08:32 pm »

He even tried to improve the Blood Angels gene seed! What an upstanding neighbor!
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: June 28, 2016, 03:53:19 pm »

Though not in game :P

Where Space Marines are deadlier with their shooting than close combat...
'cept cover.

But in all fairness the game deals with what is mostly fair balanced combat between two enemies of the same essential quality.

With some armies being known for sending endless waves of weaker units not doing so (well sort of) in the game due to it bogging down the flow of the game.

I don't even know if there are "Ordinary person" units for the Imperials... or Tribal Orcs... or Deep Ones for the Tyranids. Even though these all exist in the fiction.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:55:22 pm by Neonivek »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: June 28, 2016, 08:11:54 pm »

Well, it tries to, at any rate. It deals with the sort of critical juncture scenarios where it could go either way, which is I think why the limited number of turns works just fine. You're holding out or pushing through or what-have-you.
Which, in a way, partially justifies the overrepresentation of Space Marines. (Partially, mind you. Like if they were a fifth of all armies fielded, rather than half) While there's certainly plenty of places where the Space Marines' mission is straightforward and simple, there's plenty of unexpected difficulties too in missions which are often crucial. A thousand guardsmen with associated equipment will beat the utter shit out of a Marine with associated equipment in a straight-up firefight. (guerilla is different story) But guardsmen are usually involved in huge fronts or large scale actions where a single skirmish has minimal impact, and the odds aren't really relevant because it's just about attrition and logistics. And so on.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: June 28, 2016, 08:47:31 pm »

I think if I had to pick the Race that is probably the least represented by the war game...

It MIGHT be the Necrons. But then again I guess one could say playing the Necrons is basically playing a small team of barely awake necrons.

With the Tyranids in second (because they actually do quite a bit more then wave tactics and the game doesn't support their conversion strategy)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: June 30, 2016, 06:21:30 am »

I think I remember reading somewhere that some planets have their entire populations mind-read to search for heresy and rebellion. Is that actually a thing or am I misremembering?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: June 30, 2016, 06:39:21 am »

I think I remember reading somewhere that some planets have their entire populations mind-read to search for heresy and rebellion. Is that actually a thing or am I misremembering?

Probably misremembering, proper mind reading requires strong psykers and powerful psyker's time is a very valuable commodity that is usually best used in battles or special missions rather than spending years scanning random civilians minds for heresy.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: June 30, 2016, 07:36:53 am »

"Well Inquisitor Lorgar we looked at your request and sadly we cannot provide you with the requested 300.000 Beta Psykers required to mind-read the entire planet for heresy, you will have to do it the old fashioned way.

- several weeks later-

"Are you a Heretic?"

-"No"

"Are you a Heretic?"

-"Nope"

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: June 30, 2016, 07:55:36 am »

Lorgar: "I must kill the daemons!"

"No, Lorgar, you are the daemons!"

And then lorgan was a chaos cultist.

/Canon

Lorgar is actualy prob the only cool chaos primarch, despite sitting in his cathedral home thing since forever fapping to all chaos gods at the same time meditating or something, letting the dark apostles turn the word bearers into the most generic chaos dweebs in the galaxy and generally do nothing terribly useful.

Plus he's the only one that actualy ascended to daemon prince of chaos undivided after being approved by every single god. Perturabo supposedly did so too but I dont think he actualy ascended (they never made a mini of him in daemon prince form i think), he just kind of went "hey guys here's all these cool things I did for you let me set up a fort in this daemon realm pls".
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:57:50 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 824