Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1022255 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4365 on: June 05, 2016, 09:55:52 pm »

Dang right. Khorne cares not from where the blood flows.

All meat-eating societies worship.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: June 05, 2016, 11:01:54 pm »

Also Khorne only cares about blood so much as its a byproduct of rage and melee combat and murder, which is what the dude really cares about.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: June 05, 2016, 11:22:51 pm »

Robots slicing each other up, or like, motile plant people stabbing each other is just fine.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: June 05, 2016, 11:53:34 pm »

Are there any sci-fi settings that have a similar level of unique style as 40k?
40K is literally all shit stolen from other sci-fi franchises and renamed.
40k has giant space cathedrals, pauldrons, and skulls. That's very much not generic sci-fi, which is what I was asking about.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:56:46 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: June 05, 2016, 11:54:48 pm »

40k has giant space cathedrals, pauldrons, and skulls. That's very much not generic sci-fi, which is what I was asking about.
Stolen from Ravenloft, in turn stolen from Bram Stoker.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: June 05, 2016, 11:56:29 pm »

Stolen from Ravenloft, in turn stolen from Bram Stoker.
Neither of those are sci-fi, however. Whether 40k steals from other stuff is irrelevant to what I'm asking, all I'm asking is if there's any sci-fi setting that shirks generic sci-fi stuff to the same extent as 40k.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: June 06, 2016, 12:19:39 am »

40k is literally the most generic sci-fi setting ever.

Anyway, you might want to check out Strike Legion, which is a game that puts you in the shoes of the supersoliders of the Not-Federation fighting against the hordes of the Not-Imperium. Strike Legion is famed for its absurdity, with features such as personal scale weapons that can do damage to planets, a stat system where 1 point in any skill makes you equal to the peak human potential (ie. 1 point in Martial Arts is equal to Bruce Lee), and a space combat system fleshed out for ship to ship combat that is then promptly thrown out the window in favor of giant robots. Here's a Let's Read to show you what it's all about.

You might also like AT-43, a game about the space opera conflict of a divided humanity on an Earthlike world known as Ava as they struggle between a capitalist or collectivist future as they spread out into the universe seeking to better themselves and accelerate into the stars blah blah blah all of that is rendered pointless though with the arrival of the Therians, the actual human race who became posthuman gods a million years ago and ever since have been trying to arrest the heat death of the universe by Dyson sphering as many stars as possible and seeded Ava with human life in order to have them consolidate all the local materials. The Therians are the stars of the show here, because while they're infinitely more powerful than everyone else in every possible way, they're also fucking useless incompetents. Turns out living as immortal gods in the space internet for thousands of years has a way of making humans really lazy and egotistical, so you have things like Therian soldiers treating war like they're all FPS protagonists (not like bodily death really phases them), allowing the actual soldiers on the other side a chance even though the Therians are nigh-invincible. They could win the war instantly if they actually gave a shit, but they're just so addicted to fun that they can't. The most effective Therians are the equivalent of hardcore wargame players, being the only ones who can channel something resembling competence.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: June 06, 2016, 12:54:20 am »

I believe that honour goes to Star Trek. Star Wars would win instead but they mix it up with wizard knights.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: June 06, 2016, 03:20:43 am »

I believe that honour goes to Star Trek. Star Wars would win instead but they mix it up with wizard knights.

Andres, you can't just call one of the longest-lived archetypal sci-fi settings generic, that is exactly like calling Lord of the Rings generic, if they hadn't defined modern fantasy/ sci-fi, then generic couldn't exist.

Now, I'm not in agreement that 40k is the most generic ever, but it certainly does nothing particularly new, it just uses existing concepts in very odd combinations.  If you really want something interesting and different, I'd suggest just about anything by Alistair Reynolds, and then go read some Arthur C. Clarke, some Larry Niven, Fred Saberhagen, and just about any of the older SF writers, because the majority of the modern stuff is derivative and bland.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: June 06, 2016, 04:17:15 am »

Mind you 40k is generic in that it is supposed to be as generic as possible it is a "Stone soup" setting after all meant to combine a bunch of popular sci-fi elements (as well as quite a few fantasy elements). Often adding and removing elements as they become less popular. Even Lovecraft has been inserted into the setting with "Deep Ones" being canonical, albeit with their cause being altered.

But mind you generic doesn't mean bad.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: June 06, 2016, 05:41:10 am »

40k isn't really generic scifi, it's just that it defined and created the concept of "grimdark", which is the most fun type of dystopian fiction.

Also, city-sized cathedrals with guns loaded by thousands of slaves fighting an endless battle against insidious corruption from every angle is hardly generic.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: June 06, 2016, 06:01:56 am »

40k is about taking a bunch of generic elements, exaggerating them until they can't be more over the top, and acting as if this was perfectly normal.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: June 06, 2016, 10:24:12 am »

Star Trek and Star Wars are thought of as generic because they're some of the first popular television/movie sci fi, that everyone copied from there on.

Though Star Trek is still generic space opera.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: June 06, 2016, 11:22:17 am »

Star Trek pretty much stablished space opera as a thing. It existed before that, but it was star trek that turned it into an actual genre. Its not really that generic in regards to sci fi. Before Star Trek, aliens were often depicted as inhuman looking mosters, while star trek made them basically into alt humans. Also, in star trek, humans are the highly advanced pacifists, only eclipsed by the vulkans in that aspect, while in most sci fi, humans are almost always the underdog.

The only significant thing star wars did for sci fi was adding energy swords and space wizards to the mix :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: June 06, 2016, 11:25:14 am »

Star trek is the generic scifi story due to the same reason LOTR i a generic fantasy story.
They're both trendsetters and have created many of the tropes that rule those two genera.
sorry if this is confusingly written, I have not slept in a little over 48 hours
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 824