Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1021871 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4245 on: May 23, 2016, 12:59:46 pm »

I didn't even realize that was a Nurgle Marine at first, it looked like a lemon russ it was so ugly.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: May 25, 2016, 05:05:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why did I decide to try and paint a Knight with yellow!? It's taking me so long to do the armour panels and they still look ugly!

/sigh

Anyway, I've gotten most of the basic colours on my first Renegade Knight's legs done. Hopefully I won't screw up any details and need to repaint the yellow.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:11:47 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: May 25, 2016, 06:48:13 pm »

I wasn't going to say anything but since you brought it up....

Yeah, something looks off. At first I thought I saw jagged brush lines but looked closer and saw you're cleaving to the detail marks.

Perhaps the issue is just that it looks flat. The problem is when you go apeshit on washes and dry brushing for metallics objects like that, it becomes too obvious. Like, when you want to be obvious that's great but when subtlety is required that becomes a problem. It's supposed to look shiny and new so you don't want put many if any washes on it to muddy it up. Without washes though, shading is a lot harder.

Your silver/iron looks nice and believable. Just not sure how you bring that same level of grittiness to the yellow and black. I dunno, this is why I have to get myself worked up to paint. I'm very hard to satisfy and looking at a fig paint job is like staring into your pours in the mirror: you see every blemish.

Maybe when you color the rivets and do some more detail work it will break up the featurelessness of those armor plates. Silver/iron studs on those yellow bits would go along way toward making them pop in the right way.

FWIW though, it looks clean and professional, so at least you got that going for it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:50:09 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: May 25, 2016, 10:01:35 pm »

I think it would be really cool, but probably very difficult, if after every battle you had with it, you added details that had to do with what happened during that battle. Whether it did well, taking a lot of fire while barely taking any hits, or overloading it's weapons, or what-have you. Adds to the story of the army and all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: May 26, 2016, 12:26:37 am »

That's pretty OCD even for table top players :P Also it'd involve phyiscally altering the model for bullet damage and such, which can disrupt an applied paint jobs. It's not impossible, people do paint kill markings on their vehicles sometimes. It's just, as you said, a lot of effort.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: May 26, 2016, 01:17:23 am »

I was thinking mostly cosmetic markings for light bullet marks, only big changes if it gets blown up or the like. Gives an incentive beyond the immediate battle not to let your Knight die :P Extra work, otherwise.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: May 26, 2016, 01:59:24 am »

That reminds me, I've got to buy some demons and spehss mureens, I've got a drone with half a dozen melee kills to decorate with the heads of the defeated.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: May 26, 2016, 07:25:31 am »

When you knight dies, you have to smash it with a hammer on the spot, and reassemble it later with some spare parts salvaged from the wrecks of your opponents units. Extreme Tabletop.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4253 on: May 26, 2016, 07:44:27 am »

Keep a pellet pistol and a flick knife in your pocket. If a mini goes down at range, shoot it. If it goes down in melee, take a swipe.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: May 26, 2016, 03:14:47 pm »

When you knight dies, you have to smash it with a hammer on the spot, and reassemble it later with some spare parts salvaged from the wrecks of your opponents units. Extreme Tabletop.
...You know, that would be totally appropriate for Ork vehicles.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: May 26, 2016, 05:22:37 pm »

Back in the day I'd hear apocryphal tales of so-called "Iron Man" tournaments where, when a fig was killed, you put it in a vice and turned into pewter scrap. Not sure I believe because seriously, what kind of asshole builds and paints a tournament legal army only to risk destroying it utterly.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:24:09 pm by nenjin »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: May 26, 2016, 06:18:47 pm »

Rich assholes?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: May 26, 2016, 09:07:09 pm »

I'm guessing the guy who is both rich and a 40k fanatic isn't the kind who would get off on destroying $1000 + ???? man hours of paint time.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: May 26, 2016, 09:20:34 pm »

That's what his legions of enslaved Bengali orphans servitors are for.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: May 27, 2016, 04:18:22 am »

Rich assholes?

Kids who did not figure how much their crap cost. Not that their army was looking any good.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 824