Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1022932 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3765 on: April 16, 2016, 04:27:41 pm »

You have to also take into account that primarches are basicaly half warp beings and able to change their appearance and size. Magnus was known for changing his looks and size depending on what situation he was in. In the council of nikea, he appeared before everyone as "smaller then expected" so he'd look less threatening to all the people that were going to judge him and his legion. Rus apparently became bigger and scarier the angrier he became. I wouldn't doubt that both alphys and omegurr are capable of changing their looks and height at will.
Magnus could also pull an Apache Chief Ee-Nay-Chuk (or however it was spelled) to fistfight titans if he so desired, so size isn't really a fixed thing for primarchs.
No. Not that simple and it doesn't work that way.
The shape-shifting thing doesn't come from being Primarch, it depended on how powerful psyker said Primarch was. Magnus did that shit because he was like, second to only Emperor in both power and actual abilties while Russ had some power, but admitelly no real training. AFAIK, both Alpharius and Omegon didin't have any of this.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: April 16, 2016, 04:57:50 pm »

Question for more veteran lore-nerds. Considering the main 1000 marines are just the companies infantry units, not considering the detachments allowed to the various strike cruisers and battle barges for boarding defense/command, or the vehicle drivers and various additional techmarines assigned to the ships and vehicles, how many marines do you think would make up a typical, mostly-Codex compliant chapter of the Adeptus Astartes? And how many of those do you think would be techmarines?

There are no more than 1000 battle brothers in a codex compliant chapter, though generally there's a lot less, with the exception of techmarines, librarians, chaplains, and the chapter master all of whom occupy a position outside the the company command system. In general there is at least one techmarine and chaplain for any given company, under the authority of the Master of the Forge and High Chaplain. Apothecaries are part of the company the serve in as I understand it. The number of librarians varies highly between chapters due to different rates of psychic potential. dreadnoughts may also change the exact amount of marines in the chapter.

Ship bound marines are part of the 1000 marines, belonging to specific companies, usually the fourth or fifth in the case of ship and fortress garrisons as I recall, these companies are usually tasked with defending the Chapter's domain. Vehicle crews are part of the company to which their vehicle is assigned.

The tenth company can number anywhere between a hundred and several hundred neophytes/scouts. These individuals are not full fledged marines, though their sergeants and captain are. The scouts serve as a recruiting pool for the 9th company, progressing when a battle brother dies and they are deemed ready by their sergeant. The 9th in turn is a pool of recruits for the 8th, the 8th for the 7th so on and so forth.

Administration, logistics, support staff and other such roles are filled by chapter serfs. Such serfs are sometimes failed aspirants or simply indentured servants or servitors. These individuals do most of the basic work required by the marines, manning the majority of stations on their spacecraft, such as auspexes, engines and guns, though overall command usually belongs to an astartes captain or sergeant assigned to the ship. Gun turrets in the Chapter fortress are usually manned by serfs or servitors. Various human tech adepts are also usually assigned to the chapter to maintain parts of their fortress and aide in ship maintenance, though vehicle and wargear maintenance is generally restricted to the techmarines and their servitors.

The head of the Apothecarion is usually outside the company structure, serving as a senior officer at a similar rank to a captain, though with a primarily non-combat role. Some chapters have other command level staff outside the normal company structure.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: April 16, 2016, 05:53:12 pm »

And then there's the chapters who said "fuck it" to the organization set by the Ultramarines (not counting those that game the system like Dark Angels), especially the Black Templars who I guess don't even pretend to follow the Codex.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: April 16, 2016, 06:49:39 pm »

All I can imagine is a vast lecture hall full of space marines with the paint fresh on their armor, all listening to a tech-priest lecturer telling them how to retrofit a rhino
"Did you know only one astartes in a hundred ever attend college?"
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3769 on: April 16, 2016, 06:56:47 pm »

The Black Templars are actually Codex Compliant, at least since last edition, but they cherry pick what they want. There is this clause in Codex saying that crusading chapter can have over 1000 marines if they don't have a homeworld, since they could easily be wiped out by single fuckup, but the Black Templars take "over 1000" as "AS MANY AS POSSIBLE". Basically they still in theory follow the book but they became expert on exploiting whatever loopholes they can.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: April 16, 2016, 06:58:49 pm »

The Black Templars are actually Codex Compliant, at least since last edition, but they cherry pick what they want. There is this clause in Codex saying that crusading chapter can have over 1000 marines if they don't have a homeworld, since they could easily be wiped out by single fuckup, but the Black Templars take "over 1000" as "AS MANY AS POSSIBLE". Basically they still in theory follow the book but they became expert on exploiting whatever loopholes they can.
Plus since their homeworld got blown up and turned into the Rock it doesn't really count now does it hmmmm
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: April 16, 2016, 07:01:11 pm »

The Black Templars are actually Codex Compliant, at least since last edition, but they cherry pick wnhat they want. There is this clause in Codex saying that crusading chapter can have over 1000 marines if they don't have a homeworld, since they could easily be wiped out by single fuckup, but the Black Templars take "over 1000" as "AS MANY AS POSSIBLE". Basically they still in theory follow the book but they became expert on exploiting whatever loopholes they can.
Plus since their homeworld got blown up and turned into the Rock it doesn't really count now does it hmmmm
Ummm isn't the rock Dark angels?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: April 16, 2016, 07:03:38 pm »

yes. I get those two mixed up quite a bit.
Sig! Onol

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: April 16, 2016, 07:04:31 pm »

Great,  Xan's going to hunt me down now for correcting him
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: April 16, 2016, 07:13:43 pm »

I'm not that vindictive.
most of the time.
Sig! Onol

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3775 on: April 16, 2016, 07:17:17 pm »

I have literally branded people as heretics and Exterminatus'd their home planets for correcting me.
I am not even joking, I wiped out someone's Empire back when SoH was f2p because he said Ultramarines were best marines. I had to travel through half the galaxy for that but I did it.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: April 16, 2016, 07:21:04 pm »

The Black Templars are abusing a rule about Crusading Chapters being allowed to recruit constantly to maintain their numbers. Normally this doesn't work for marines since crusades are kind of rare, but the Black Templars have been crusading since the HH, as they continued the Great Crusade more or less immediately upon founding and can therefore always fall under the rule because they fight a crusade that won't end until literally every enemy of mankind is dead.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: April 16, 2016, 08:02:11 pm »

Fuckyeah loopholes.

Although they don't use the 10-company-chapter org.
They have C crusades and the crusades have X strike companies.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: April 16, 2016, 08:35:35 pm »

EDIT: I just noticed that in the Battlefleet Gothic: Armada intro there is a Deceiver shadow when the Abbadon is talking with the crone about the Blackstone and whatnot.
JUST AS PLANNED.
Where is this shadow?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3779 on: April 16, 2016, 08:49:07 pm »

On the left.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 824