Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1024171 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #375 on: May 06, 2015, 12:06:35 am »

While what you said is mostly accurate kinda...that video is just about the most inaccurate thing I've seen, and I say that as a fan of the series.
No one really knows what happened to the Old Ones after the Enslaver plague; they might have fled the galaxy, they might have died, no one knows.
There is the Hrud's deity Qah who's heavily implied to be the remnants of an Old One, however.
About the Krork, no one really knows. It could be the old name for Ork, it could be the intended form of the Orks as made by the Old Ones (because they certainly wouldn't have relied on the goddamn Orks to fight the C'Tan for them), it could be nothing. It's the problem benefit of the lore being so vague.

But yeah; don't rely on a parody youtube series for lore info, Andres. :P

Also they're called the Chaos Gods due to their power in the warp, not because of Order vs. Chaos. Well, actually, they're called that because it was in fact Order vs. Chaos in WHFB, and WH40K was originally just Warhammer Fantasy Battles IN SPEHSS.

But it still wouldn't quite work that way. Though there is the whole weird Star Child thing.

Meanwhile, the Tyranids likely have more biomass in the true main fleet than there is mass in the milky way galaxy, period.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 06, 2015, 12:17:00 am »

Actually they're called the Chaos Gods because GW ripped off Michael Moorcock's cosmology to make them, not really anything else.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 06, 2015, 01:52:26 am »

Ok, in order for the Imperium to survive, which enemy most desperately needs to be the target of Ghazkull's upcoming WAAAGH! Could it potentially invade and destroy the Eye of Terror?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 06, 2015, 02:05:32 am »

The Imperium isn't gonna survive in it's current form no matter what, unless Empy's somehow resurrected. Otherwise the Golden Throne will someday fail, the Astronomicon will go out, and the Imperium will fall apart.
And I've no idea what the hell's happening with Ghazkull - first he failed to smash Armageddon on the pretense that he was testing it out or some bullshit, and now he's apparently running around the galaxy using his influence to start off varying WAAAGHs until they become self-sustaining, which honestly isn't all that orky of him.
Honestly though, the greatest threats to the galaxy I'd say would be the fully awakened Necrons, followed by the Tyranid full fleet, if it even exists - it was only ever speculated IIRC, never confirmed that there was a larger Tyranid fleet - followed by the Orks if they ever fully organize under one Warlord like what happened one time with the Beast. After that it gets kinda muddled.
Sig! Onol

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 06, 2015, 02:12:56 am »

Can someone tell me how much of a threat the Necrons are? I have it in my head that they're about as big as the Tau (in terms of territory and military power) and they get curb-stomped by the Eldar since they use wraithbone.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 06, 2015, 02:29:12 am »

Can someone tell me how much of a threat the Necrons are? I have it in my head that they're about as big as the Tau (in terms of territory and military power) and they get curb-stomped by the Eldar since they use wraithbone.
I have it in my head that they're about as big as the Tau (in terms of territory and military power) and they get curb-stomped by the Eldar since they use wraithbone.
about as big as the Tau (in terms of territory and military power) and they get curb-stomped by the Eldar since they use wraithbone.
about as big as the Tau (in terms of territory and military power) and they get curb-stomped by the Eldar
AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAOAHAHAOAHAOHAOAHAIAAHAIAHAIAHAIAHAOAHAOAH
Sig! Onol

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 06, 2015, 02:45:11 am »

I always thought of Necrons as spehss terminators, like if the T1000 made babies with an aircraft carrier.

Hyper-advanced, nearly indestructible, utterly relentless.

Of course, I haven't seen the fluff since they were retconned into spehhs Egyptians.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 06, 2015, 02:48:54 am »

Necrons had an empire that spanned pretty much the entire galaxy way before the Eldar or Imperium existed. So potentially any planet could have dormant Necrons within a tomb.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 06, 2015, 02:55:36 am »

But yeah, to give a serious answer, the Necrons are the winners of the War in Heaven, the first and greatest war to ever happen. No war will ever approach the intensity of the conflict that changed the Warp from the relatively calm thing it was before into the frothing whirlpool of hell that it is now.  They're pretty much the biggest most dangerous power in the whole galaxy if they all awoke, which they're beginning to do if GW hadn't cast Stasis on the timeline preventing any progress.
Sig! Onol

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 06, 2015, 05:57:50 am »

If the Imperium were to take some of the blood of still alive Living Saints (not enough to kill them, of course) over several millenia, then condense it all into a single drop, would feeding the drop to the Emperor be enough to revive him or boost his powers to do something truly glorious?

If they figured out how to make female space marines, would the Imperium gain any significant advantage from essentially doubling the amount of space marines they can produce?

What would the Imperium do with a planet-sized battleship?

Would it make any significant difference if our Spiritual Liege, Roboute Guilliman came back to life?

If the Imperium had Star Wars' hyperdrives, would they win?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 06, 2015, 06:24:59 am »

If the Imperium were to take some of the blood of still alive Living Saints (not enough to kill them, of course) over several millenia, then condense it all into a single drop, would feeding the drop to the Emperor be enough to revive him or boost his powers to do something truly glorious?
I'm not sure he has anything to feed to given that he's basically a skeleton with his soul tied to it and the Throne at this point. That said ... maybe? Dunno. Chaos' almost certainly sabotage it though.

If they figured out how to make female space marines, would the Imperium gain any significant advantage from essentially doubling the amount of space marines they can produce?
Well... yeah duh they would. Having twice as many space marines is only a bad thing for the enemies of the imperium at this point. Though it wouldn't be enough to make a significant difference on the galactic scale and isn't gonna happen since the gene seed they use to make space marines is incompatible with females because the Emperor distilled them from the genes of the Primarchs, which were all male. If there were a female Primarch, maybe. But there isn't so no.

What would the Imperium do with a planet-sized battleship?
Well, they wouldn't actually do anything with it since the Cult Mechanicus would snatch that shit up with haste and the High Lords of Terra don't want to provoke civil war, but since it's going to end up in the claws of the Tech-Priests ... either hidden in some region of space until it's needed to defend something or they go around smashing shit with it.

Would it make any significant difference if our Spiritual Liege, Roboute Guilliman came back to life?
Despite all the fanbase making fun of him, Gulliman was a hypercompetent organizer of men and material, as well as a Primarch which made him even more OP - there's a reason the Ultramarines are the most numerous genetic variant of Space Marine. It'd probably lead to a resurgence in the Imperium, not only in morale since there's a goddamn son of the Emperor himself alive again, but also in general efficiency and such. This assumes he'd even help the Imperium of course, but assuming he did, good things.

Not necessarily win since despite being the current galactic hegemon they're purely outclassed by several factions such as the Necrons, who have an FTL system that outclasses even Star Wars - but they would start performing outstandingly better since Star Wars hyper drives are OOM faster and safer than Warp travel. Instead of essentially being a feudal collection of worlds loosely linked together by a common faith, they could actually start acting as a coherent organization, which'd lead to much better force cohesion and such for them.
Also Tyranid fleets then become easier to handle given that they can now intercept them in transit instead of while they're invading a planet.
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 06, 2015, 06:55:30 am »

Maybe yes, if they used the drives as to accelerate ships to act as weapons. Instant exterminatus, just add water (and genocide)!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 06, 2015, 06:56:43 am »

That might work maybe. Don't hyperdrives send you to hyperspace though, and not through realspace?
Sig! Onol

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 06, 2015, 08:27:32 am »

Necrons used to be a real threat, in fact bigger than the Tyranids (they actively avoided planets and systems that had anything to do with necrons). Now they have been clowned down and are little more than undead Tombs Kings recycled IN SPACEEE. I don't agree with the changes, however even I admit now they have more characterization and are far more relate-able, I left to your own devices to figure out if that's something you may or may not want for a race of zombie robots capable of galaxy wide apocalypses.

And SW hypedrive? Hell yeah, that would allow the Imperium to coordinate a lot more faster it's forces, A LOT MORE. Not counting that would make them at par (or faster, I don't know) with the Necrons in fleet speed.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:53:05 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 06, 2015, 09:06:58 am »

Be warned, most of this stuff is basically amalgamated from Warhammer wiki, Lexicanum and 1d4chan.
Content purity is anywhere from skeptical to heretical. Damn sight better than 'Speech To Text Machine Series' though. (Yes, I'm bitter about what they did to my darling Ksons)

1. Currently in lore Ghazkull is in two different time-thingos.
     a) He's gathering up all of the orc hordes Beast- style and he plans to use the collective Waagh to awaken Gork and Mork as corporeal gods in their own right.
     b) He's fleeing Commisar Yarrick and the Black Templars after the Armageddon II postwar stuff.

2. Necrons (VERY RECENTLY) have learned how to use the webway and are using it to their full advantage in order to rip suckas up. They would be the strongest force in the galaxy except for that one thing they are missing, which is a soul, which allows them to Warpstuff. They're deader than the Tau when it comes to psychics - ergo they are terrified of psykers.
Is why they created Pariahs and those big "Contain the eye of Terror" pillars on Cadia.

3. After the Pyrrhic victory of Chaos over Craftword Ulthwe and the Imperium of man in the current Black Crusade (To-date the only even marginally successful one), the Chaosy armies currently hold the majority of Cadia, whilst the Imperium have them locked there.
Which you would think would be an acceptable stalemate except that all of their foul decadent rites are cracking those "Contain the eye of terror" pillars.
Exterminatus (I can only assume) would only mean backwards steps for the backwards empire. So who knows.

Point Being:
Could Ghazkull's upcoming WAAAGH! potentially invade and destroy the Eye of Terror?

That isn't the purposes of the Orcs. In fact, if they were to move into the Eye of Terror, they'd probably have an even stronger Waaagh, and may in fact succeed in their 'Creation of new Chaos Gods' thing. (It's iffy on whether or not Gork and Mork inhabit the warp. They're a complicated duo).
Point being, if they don't, they would, and if they have a nice little birth like Slaanesh, that's only gonna rile up the warp more... Which is bad for the Imperium.
Orky Demons. Be afraid.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:09:34 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 824