Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1024016 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3450 on: March 21, 2016, 01:17:20 pm »

Tabletop Woes:
So I seem to have fallen in love with formations; and the release of the Cadian supplement meansI can finally start pushing towards them.

So I took a look at the bundles GW has available for AM|IG.
Newsflash- they all have a total savings value of $0. Absolute crap. The "Emperor's platoon" and "Battlegroup hammerblow" are both shitty repack with zero incentive for anyone with the time to look twice.
The "Start playing" bundle is the only remotely-useful build. I get to buy some redundant models for an extra $9. But they're Nice redundant models, so hey.

Spoiler: The breakdown (click to show/hide)

Needless to say, I'm so very close to having all the things I want...
"Close" being about $500 AUD...

Got a game coming up this weekend. Just gonna play Tzeentch and muck around.
(Can't wait until they get some kind of one-god incentives..)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:55:14 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: March 22, 2016, 03:41:47 pm »

How chaos restores its fleets?
What is the life of crew on such ships?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3452 on: March 22, 2016, 03:50:12 pm »

Doesn't, unless some new ship happens to fuck off into warp.
Deamons. I doubt there is any crew left and the ship goes on due to warp fuckery, but if there is, their life is literally deamons. They can't really do anything due to legions of deamons skullfucking them with horny bug penises because their Chaos Marine masters decided that turning off the Gellar field is a fun thing to do, and once the deamons go skullfuck someone else they are abused and used in horrendous slavery work that's even worse than what happens in Imperial ships.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: March 22, 2016, 03:57:02 pm »

Capturing ships. Corrupting ships.
The Dark Mechanicus could probably build them.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: March 22, 2016, 04:11:25 pm »

Doesn't, unless some new ship happens to fuck off into warp.
Deamons. I doubt there is any crew left and the ship goes on due to warp fuckery, but if there is, their life is literally deamons. They can't really do anything due to legions of deamons skullfucking them with horny bug penises because their Chaos Marine masters decided that turning off the Gellar field is a fun thing to do, and once the deamons go skullfuck someone else they are abused and used in horrendous slavery work that's even worse than what happens in Imperial ships.
Going by Battlefleet Gothic, that's not wholly accurate. Daemonships certainly exist, but they aren't the majority of the ones you'll encounter in the Materium, for the same reason most Chaos troops aren't Daemons. 'Specially if we're talking about Chaos Marine ships. Not all Chaos ships have a Marine command, after all. There's plenty of corrupted generals and captains to go around.

Still treated like shit and abused terribly, but not a great deal more than your typical groundside cultist.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: March 22, 2016, 04:12:16 pm »

A combination of piracy and Dark Mechanicus facilities. Most warbands capture ships rather than destroy them, using boarding torpedoes for such purposes, and many of the more powerful warbands have the facilities needed to repair ships and barter their use for services and goods with other warbands that wish to parley rather than fight. Some of the most powerful Dark Mechanicus factions are able to build brand new ones, Infidel class raiders being a notable example, built from scratch using stolen plans.

The life of the crew varies highly from ship to ship. Some ships basically function the same way as Imperial ones but with more summary executions and casual murder, others are crewed near entirely by daemons, some are crewed mostly by servitors with a few chaos marines manning the important bits and some have no crew because the ship itself is a daemon.

An example of the first type of ships can be read about in the Night Lords novels, and the second type is featured in the Word Bearers novels. One of the Grey Knight books has a Daemon ship in it as well.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: March 22, 2016, 09:38:32 pm »

Yeah AFAIK even most chaos worshippers have a difficult time existing in the warp- it being a place where solid matter is not entirely welcome.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: March 22, 2016, 11:35:25 pm »

The vast majority of Chaos worshipers tend to have shorter lifespans when immersed in the Warp than non-Chaos worshipers- the Daemons are that much closer to them to start with, after all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: March 23, 2016, 12:24:14 am »

Yes but the minority get to hang around in purgatory after death and wait for their inevitable resummon.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: March 23, 2016, 12:27:10 am »

Yes but the minority get to hang around in purgatory after death and wait for their inevitable resummon.
I was thinking more along the lines of those few Chaos Marines(Warp Talons, mostyl) or Sorcerors who have deals or enough willpower to survive in the Warp for the minimal time they need to be in there. But that's also true.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: March 23, 2016, 06:42:14 am »

Warp talons aren't a good example because, well, they're daemons.
Afaik they are people who had originally Failed that particular test and now are fun little meatpuppets for the furies which reside there.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: March 23, 2016, 07:10:54 am »

Warp talons aren't a good example because, well, they're daemons.
Afaik they are people who had originally Failed that particular test and now are fun little meatpuppets for the furies which reside there.

Warp Talons are described as being Raptors who've become so mutated in mind and body that they are more daemon than man now. Much like the Mandrakes of Aelindrach they straddle the line between daemon and mortal, being partly both but not wholly either.

In some ways they're similar to Daemon Princes, except rather than ascending to demi-godhood they've transitioned sideways into a being not dissimilar to the animal daemons like Flesh Hounds, Screamers, Fiends and Beasts. In what passes for the hierarchy of daemonkind I'd guess they're above Furies, but below Lesser Daemons, which probably puts them on par with daemon steeds and animals.

I think the Bleeding Eyes, a cult of Night Lords raptors, are a good example of marines on the path to Talonhood. Few among them can walk properly, their feet are so mutated into claws that they find crawling on all fours more comfortable, some have found their gauntlets become claws capable to shredding power armour, and those that can still remove their helmets have a compulsion to feed on their kills, tearing raw hunks of meat from their bodies and devouring them. All they care for is their own brotherhood and the hunt.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: March 23, 2016, 11:24:35 am »

Well, that's as gruesome as it is awesome.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: March 25, 2016, 12:48:02 am »

How aerial combat in grim darkness of future looks?
Is having mechadendrites while not being in mechanicus techheretical?
Why would planetary governor even need geneseed, is it of any use to anyone except astartes/ chaos?
Promethium is used to make nutrient paste? How would you eat fucking oil, really?
Why salamanders did not use phospex?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: March 25, 2016, 01:19:17 am »

How aerial combat in grim darkness of future looks?
They actually made an entire game about that, it flopped pretty bad.
Is having mechadendrites while not being in mechanicus techheretical?
It is not necessarily technoheresy to use any Imperial technology, so long as you have the approval of the Mechanicus and it was manufactured by them.
Why would planetary governor even need geneseed, is it of any use to anyone except astartes/ chaos?
Geneseed is an incredibly rare resource, and therefore an incredibly valuable one. Beyond being a strategic resource that can get you rich directly, it can also potentially be used as leverage against the Chapter it came from (blackmailing Astartes is a poor idea, but it isn't impossible). For those of the more heretical and ambitious persuasion, geneseed is the ultimate hurdle for making your own secret army of knockoff Space Marines. Much of the rest of the process can be acquired second-hand or done without, but the geneseed is non-negotiable. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 824