Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1030397 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Damned Immateriums, how do they work?
« Reply #1230 on: June 15, 2015, 07:49:49 pm »

... would they be, though? Didn't you folks just say the critters can body swap? Add enough biotech knowledge to presumably skinshift, too, and I rather imagine passing for a baseline human and then getting brought in would be... pretty trivial.

And... honestly, I could sorta' see a DE playing a long game like that. Replace one of the high lords or somethin', spend decades subtly screwing with the bureaucracy on an empire wide scale to bring about suffering and whatnot (to say nothing about what happened behind closed doors). Then there's the great reveal at the end of it and it turns out half the high thingjubbies are also DE, a quarter 'nid infiltrators, and the rest a combination of eldar playing the same game as the DE, tau infiltrators, and one or two ork kommandos. Mech-bros would be just kinda' sitting there wtfing. It'd be beautiful. Not a single human among the lot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 15, 2015, 08:00:58 pm »

Problem is, unless they're up to their ears in suffering, DE can't last that long outside of Commoragh. Even body swapping, She Who Thirsts knows their souls and they can't hold up for the time it needs to play the long game like that, outside of the city.

Being that it's 40k and anything is possible, it's possible, I'd just think super unlikely. You can always invent a tech solution to answer any dilemma if need be.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 15, 2015, 08:03:50 pm »

Problem is, unless they're up to their ears in suffering, DE can't last that long outside of Commoragh. Even body swapping, She Who Thirsts knows their souls and they can't hold up for the time it needs to play the long game like that, outside of the city.
If only there was some secret webway tunnel direct to Holy Terra, literally behind the Golden Throne.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 15, 2015, 08:18:49 pm »

... wouldn't most of the high up muckity mucks in the imperium be up to their ears in suffering, or at least able to without much trouble?
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 15, 2015, 08:26:13 pm »

If only there was some secret webway tunnel direct to Holy Terra, literally behind the Golden Throne.

I'd read up on the lore of said tunnel before suggesting it can actually be used :P

... wouldn't most of the high up muckity mucks in the imperium be up to their ears in suffering, or at least able to without much trouble?

It's not really metaphysical to that degree. Think of it as a vapor coming off the tormented, the suffering, the excruciated. The mere discomfort or unhappiness of someone isn't really enough to feed on. You need the equivalent of either a gladiator arena or a torture chamber to actually feed off it as a DE.

An important person could have a torture chamber they have to go back to, like, hourly or at least daily. But all that said, it would have to be the most singular conspiracy ever enacted against the Imperium for it to go on that long without detection. And it wouldn't be the first "The High Lords are squid!" conspiracy theory out there.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 15, 2015, 08:31:19 pm »

The DEldar need more than your billions of people in planetary extermination camps that the Imperium is so fond of. Pain is an art. You can throw buckets on a canvas and call it art, and some people do, but the DEldar would rightfully and gracefully thread out every one of Andy Warhol's nerves across a rack of exquisite xenotoxin from the world of Yegluorus XII, where a local mutation allows them to gather it by running razors through the eyes of the natives.

To satisfy them means overcoming up to twenty thousand years of hedonism.
I'd read up on the lore of said tunnel before suggesting it can actually be used :P
Oh, what, you think enough warp energy to force open a new Eye of Terror is an insurmountable problem?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: June 16, 2015, 12:50:29 am »

Bargaining with Dark Eldar? Might as well go the whole nine yards and bargain with Tzeentch.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1237 on: June 16, 2015, 03:17:27 pm »

Being that it's 40k and anything is possible, it's possible, I'd just think super unlikely. You can always invent a tech solution to answer any dilemma if need be.
I'm tempted to write a story where a DE infiltrator manages to sneak its way into the upper echelons of Imperial Administration, just to inflict untold suffering upon all of the various individuals under its jurisdictions with various questionable bureaucratic choices. Only, this being the Imperium, even a DE TRYING to fuck up a planet is probably going to do more good than a genuine administrator, and accidentally become a local hero. Stuff like moving all the food off an agri-world to cause mass starvation in a planet, only to find out the planet was full of genestealers and the DE administrator had just deprived the hive of its biomass leading to an easy victory. Or sending 30 BEHNLBLEDS from one forgeworld to a Hive world, after having declared the Hive world as traitors who refused to send their imperial tithe. The Baneblades arrive, and the Governer - seeing so many super-heavy tanks assumes that his secret chaos kabal has been uncovered by an inquisitor, and plays his cards (and is obliterated). The DE administrator is once more hailed as a hero for uncovering a major rebellion before it could even begin. It would continue in this fashion, with the DE admin trying its best to ruin the Imperium and consistently making it a better place.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 16, 2015, 03:51:54 pm »

I'm tempted to write a story where a DE infiltrator manages to sneak its way into the upper echelons of Imperial Administration, just to inflict untold suffering upon all of the various individuals under its jurisdictions with various questionable bureaucratic choices. Only, this being the Imperium, even a DE TRYING to fuck up a planet is probably going to do more good than a genuine administrator, and accidentally become a local hero. Stuff like moving all the food off an agri-world to cause mass starvation in a planet, only to find out the planet was full of genestealers and the DE administrator had just deprived the hive of its biomass leading to an easy victory. Or sending 30 BEHNLBLEDS from one forgeworld to a Hive world, after having declared the Hive world as traitors who refused to send their imperial tithe. The Baneblades arrive, and the Governer - seeing so many super-heavy tanks assumes that his secret chaos kabal has been uncovered by an inquisitor, and plays his cards (and is obliterated). The DE administrator is once more hailed as a hero for uncovering a major rebellion before it could even begin. It would continue in this fashion, with the DE admin trying its best to ruin the Imperium and consistently making it a better place.

LOL That's great
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

quamzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 16, 2015, 05:39:31 pm »

What happens with soul/ some warp echo  of servotorised person?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 16, 2015, 05:39:36 pm »

well, the hellish fascist wonderland of the Imperium is, after all, a result of people trying to do what they think is best...
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 16, 2015, 07:02:15 pm »

What happens with soul of servitors?

I don't even want to know. A lot of them still have rudimentary parts of their brain intact, so I think it's the same thing as with a lobotomite.
They're still people, just brainscrubbed people with programming hardwired into the places personality or sentience would normally be.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: June 16, 2015, 07:07:20 pm »

Probably some way of telling, somewhere in the lore or mechanics. Anyone ever tried to stuff a servitor into one of those eldar soul dingus whatsits? Has to have been an ordo xenos radical or madboy or somethin' that gave it a shot. Probably some warpcraft interaction somewhere in there that'd give you a good idea, too...

E: Though now all I can think of is a WH40k version of WILL IT BLEND!? except with soulstones or whatever those things are. Cats, 'nids, squigs, machine spirits, just some crazy mechboy running around the galaxy seeing exactly what fits inside one of those fancy rocks.

E2: Wait, no, there's the thought of a chaos possessed industrial blender depopulating hive worlds. That'd be pretty amazing. "Will it blend, corpse worshipers!? Tzeentch will make it blend!" And then there's the whirring noise and the squelching and the rending metal and the screaming and *happy sighs*

E3: And its name would be WORLD-MULCHER. That's a good, hyphenated, name.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:18:06 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 16, 2015, 08:15:43 pm »

I'm guessing they're a weaker soul than even a normal person. Lobotomizing them and wiping out their personality would, in theory, destroy the depth and passion that makes for a bright soul.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 16, 2015, 10:31:35 pm »

The fluff for Obliviates (servitors made with heretical mind destroying tech that annihilates the soul from the RPGs) says servitors are indistinguishable from obliviates to psykers. So it's implied that the soul is destroyed even if fragments of the mind remain intact.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 824