Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1032658 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10755 on: November 21, 2018, 01:03:49 am »

Administratum calculated they need every human being, including women and children, to fend off Tyranids, on battlefield. The only logical solution is pretty obvious.
Female.
Space.
Marines.

Also Baby Marines.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10756 on: November 21, 2018, 01:07:13 am »

I'm still waiting for Cawl to mention that, just by the by, Primaris gene-seed works on women, and I suspect the only reason he hasn't yet is because he's not yet constructed a sufficiently large augmetic trollface.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: November 21, 2018, 06:27:49 am »

Anyone know where I can find a step-by-step guide of the standard way (or as close to standard as possible) Chaos invades a world? It starts with subversion from within and ends with military takeover, but I'd like a little more detail.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: November 21, 2018, 07:15:00 am »

Anyone know where I can find a step-by-step guide of the standard way (or as close to standard as possible) Chaos invades a world? It starts with subversion from within and ends with military takeover, but I'd like a little more detail.

Chaos and standart are opposite things : demonic invasion, screaming droppods filled with chainsaw maniacs, slamming space ship filled with zombies into planet, spending centuries of preparation for ritual to get planet sucked into warp, covert infiltration of professional agents, dark apostle spreading heretical faith, corrupted with technovirus cogitators slowly spreading chaos taint across infrastructure of world.

Each chaos force goes with its own way.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10759 on: November 21, 2018, 07:24:45 am »

I'm still waiting for Cawl to mention that, just by the by, Primaris gene-seed works on women, and I suspect the only reason he hasn't yet is because he's not yet constructed a sufficiently large augmetic trollface.

Oh, Cawl did make one, Trazyn stole it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10760 on: November 21, 2018, 07:27:09 am »

I don’t think there’s such a thing as a standard Chaos invasion, chaos being, well, chaotic. A Khornate invasion is going to be different from a Tzeentchian one, yeah? I guess most Chaos invasion forces are made up mostly of traitor Guard and other renegade human forces, with Traitor Marines in small numbers or perhaps even in greater strength, with various psykers and sorcerers, hereteks and daemon-machines in the mix. Real big bad invasions could have Titans and daemons running wild and whole Traitor Marine legions.

Defending Imperial forces might have to deal with cult activity on the ground. Buut... It’s not like cult activity is always a precursor to invasion. Some worlds fall from within, and some fall without any cultists present in any meaningful way. Subversion followed by military takeover fits plenty of cases, I’m sure, but what those things mean differs. Are we talking a cult of Tzeentch led by the planetary governor who disables the planetary defenses so the Enemy can just walk in unhindered, a violent cult uprising that cripples vital infrastructure just in time for invasion, a series of ritual mass sacrifices that opens a massive portal to the Warp and unleashes armies of daemons, or a Nurglish plague that ravages the defenders? Lots of options for both ’subversion’ and ’military takeover’.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:28:43 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: November 21, 2018, 10:42:11 am »

who even reads MetalSlimeHunt, he's not canon

What a hack.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10762 on: November 21, 2018, 10:48:55 am »

Everyone is canon, not everyone is true.  What a heretic.

I guess that old trope might explain how so many Eldar supposedly died.  The accounts could be exaggerating Eldar losses (or even just unaware of their escape methods).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10763 on: November 21, 2018, 10:50:27 am »

I don’t think there’s such a thing as a standard Chaos invasion, chaos being, well, chaotic.

Abaddon's Black Crusades are about as close as you can get to a "standard" chaos invasion.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: November 21, 2018, 12:29:21 pm »

I don’t think there’s such a thing as a standard Chaos invasion, chaos being, well, chaotic.

Abaddon's Black Crusades are about as close as you can get to a "standard" chaos invasion.

Bearing in mind that a standard Chaos invasion is going to vary widely with both the local susceptibility to Chaotic influence and the world's military value to the Chaos Space Marines (or more rarely those Lost and the Damned warbands that conduct planetary invasions), Storm of Iron covers the Iron Warriors invading a world militarily through what at least sounds like a well-practiced strategy.

As for the cults of heretics...cults can only work in so many ways.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10765 on: November 21, 2018, 01:48:26 pm »

Chaos occasionally conducts a "true" invasion every now and then, which is a large scale incursion by traitor astartes or demons operating from a demon world or a pirate fleet. Invasion by regular human-aligned chaos forces also happens, but owing to the way the Imperium compartmentalises its Naval & Ground Forces, the regular human chaos-aligned forces capable of conducting true invasions of human worlds are usually independent human Empires with their own ships and ground forces - there are still human stellar Empires who have never been subjected to the yoke of Imperial rule out in the frontiers of the Eastern fringe for example, while even tribal backwaters aligned with chaos can get some helpful assistance in modernising under the guidance of chaos warlords. Most worlds that see a chaos "invasion" will have succumbed to subversion from within long before the first demons arrived, at which point it can't really be said to be an invasion of the unwilling - it's reinforcements.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10766 on: November 24, 2018, 12:39:01 am »

I had a random question about Orks the other day.

We know that, left to its own devices, a single Ork spore in suitable conditions can regenerate the entire Ork biosphere from Squigs on up, but the resultant Orks are feral and spawn different Oddboyz than do spacefaring Orks. While we know that they typically get absorbed into an external WAAAGH! as Snakebitez, do we know what happens if they're just left alone? Do they just stay Feral permanently, or is their some point at which they spontaneously go through an industrial revolution (revorklution?)and the mycelium starts gestating more conventional Mekz to make standard Orky gubbinz?

EDIT: Related to this, how did anything the Beast had happen? Is it just a function of WAAAGH! size?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 12:43:20 am by Trekkin »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: November 24, 2018, 12:51:00 am »

They might require some external source of technology in order to build up properly. Like, they wouldn't need to meet spacefaring orks, just grab some junk from a human civilization or loot some ancient xenos ruins.
Makes me wonder what it looks like when a biosphere of feral orks are left totally alone with just a necron tomb to rob. Might end up with some hilariously overpowered ork teknology, like personal teleporters and antimatter blasters, because they know nothing else.

Though I remember reading something about ork weapons being basically written into their DNA.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: November 24, 2018, 01:20:47 am »

All evidence suggests that as the Orkoid environment increases in intensity, it reaches points of critical mass in which it spontaneously jumps into a new kind of organization. These levels ideally build up into the eternal soldier race of the Kork, but a million years of natural corruption in their designed system means that each level is increasingly likely to become derailed.

The Beasts were the result of a very high-order Ork evolution gained through emulating the Imperium's organizational structure. The closest thing to a real Kork ever encountered by the Imperium was Gharkull Blackfang, who famously forced the Emperor of Mankind to psychically exhaust himself in their combat, a combat in which he was accompanied by Horus. 

To give you an idea, a stasis-bound Kork owned by Trazyn was two meters larger than the original Beast and was clad in armor who's quality was Eldar-esq. And that was implied to be a standard soldier Kork. Their recreation would be the end of humanity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10769 on: November 24, 2018, 04:48:08 am »

The way I understand it, it's entirely related to fighting. Orks get bigger as they experience more fights, and as they get bigger and stronger, they also get better at fighting and prosecuting warfare. Thus, the more intense battles an ork is subjected to, the faster they'll develop.

This means that, in the hypothetical case of a single ork spore on an uninhabited world, it'd first spread the orkoid ecosystem - fungi, then squigs, then grots  to manage those squigs and build primitive mushroom farming villages. Then the first ork boyz pop up, and immediately take over whatever grot village they're nearest to. As the orkoid ecosystem develops and spreads, more and more orks develop and begin to form into primitive warbands under whatever ork is the biggest and thus fightiest, and as this happens multiple times the ork warbands begin to fight each other. This is what most feral orks do, only they usually have other gits to attack on the planet as well.

As the orks continue to fight each other, eventually there will come a chieftain big and smart enough to be unusually successful in his campaigns, enough that he and his boyz start growing big enough to start thinking of more advanced concepts of warfare than just sticks and stones. Orks advance fastest when they're fighting strong opponents, so as the first warboss and his boyz become wildly successful with whatever invention they make, the other orks they fight soon start to develop to the same level. Soon the whole planet of orks has reached what's basically an industrialized warfare level of tech, where the same thing happens as in the feral stage - tech being mostly equal between everyone, various warbosses form up into the rough equivalents of modern-day nations and war with each other. Depending on how intense this warfare is and how long it takes for the right circumstances to come about, it takes a varying amount of time for this next part to happen, but eventually it does. Eventually, one particular warboss gets successful enough that he conquers the whole planet, and unites all the orks in it under his banner. Of course, this means they've run out of things to fight, so they have to go looking for more. So the orks either get lucky and hijack an existing ship/space hulk, or have to develop space flight on their own a la Kerbal Space Program. If this takes too long, the orks get bored with nothing to fight and the warboss loses his control over them, causing the whole lot of them to splinter back into the various nation-states, and the process starts over from there.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 824