Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blitz's Card Game Thread  (Read 1843 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Blitz's Card Game Thread
« on: June 26, 2014, 08:59:33 am »

Searched the board for threads on card games, found precisely 0.
So, I decided to start a thread for all things card game. Be it Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, or any other card game, you can discuss it here
Now then, to start us off, what is your favourite card game and why? Mine would probably Yu-Gi-Oh, if only because that's the game I grew up with.
Useful Links
currently none.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blitz's Card Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:08:02 am »

Bullshit.

Or maybe poker? 500 is kinda fun, too. I don't play enough card games. ;_;
Does Munchkin count? It's not actually that fun, but it can be amusing.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:12:33 am »

Did a quick google search, and munchkin does count. It's a card game, therefore it counts.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:35:27 am »

I've had fun playing Boss Monster in the past. And just yesterday I played the DC Comics Deck-Building Game, which I quite enjoyed.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:18:31 pm »

Huh. I think Boss Monster was on Kickstarter a year or two ago, but not sure. It seemed pretty fun, but I didn't have time for games of any kid at the time, so... Yeah.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 02:41:31 pm »

I like Dominion, because I can come up with different strategies each time.  I used to play a lot of MTG in my youth, but these days it looks a bit exploitative to me, haha.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 03:24:44 pm »

Does anybody know any good, strategic games that you can play with a standard 52-card deck?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 03:25:45 pm »

Does anybody know any good, strategic games that you can play with a standard 52-card deck?

Cheat

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 06:27:00 pm »

Hearthstone.

It's all online and there's no trading though.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 01:46:55 am »

Yeah, I've heard of Hearthstone. It's based on WoW, right?
Anyway, has anyone played Elements?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 03:03:47 pm »

I have a habit of collecting Pokémon cards, even though I have nobody to play the TCG with.

There are actually 3 other Pokémon maniacs who ride my bus, but one of them hasn't played the TCG in years and the other two collect the cards but have no clue how to play the game. I watched them do that one time, but they had no effing clue whatsoever how the game works. They didn't use Energy cards-- just picking random attacks and using them--, they played fully evolved Pokemon without playing their base forms, I never heard one thing about Prize Cards, etc. etc.

When it comes to regular playing card games, I have a book of them but nobody ever has the time to play against me. I also figured it might be fun to try Magic: The Gathering, but my mom refuses to drive me to the nearby mall (the only resource I actually have for buying video games and trading cards and stuff). Like, ever.

Living in the middle of nowhere kind of sucks with the life I have.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »

Heh, I like halfheartedly collecting Pokémon cards. Monster-based TCGs are my favourite, and I've yet to find one I enjoy quite as much as Pokémon. Plus they have cool art and such.

My sister and I recently shuffled up and split our entire collection of cards, which was roughly 60% base-jungle-fossil era stuff and 40% occasional random boosters from everything since. We then made some completely unbalanced non-legal decks from those pools so we could have some card-based Pokémon fights. (The power difference between old and new cards is kind of hilarious)

Mine was a Grass/Psychic deck called Bats Ahoy, which featured Crobat, Swoobat and Leafeon and was all about status effects, coinflips and a bunch of annoyingly strong cards with zero retreat cost.

Hers was a Water/Electric deck called Shoddy Energy Management which involved lots of moving energies around, healing and high-powered one-off attacks. I think it had a Regigigas, and an incredibly irritating Rotom that could damage my whole bench every turn.

The last pack I bought was an XY booster a few months ago, which gave me a reverse-holo Yveltal (yess). Shame we don't own a single dark energy between us. :P

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 09:33:38 pm »

Does Munchkin count? It's not actually that fun, but it can be amusing.
Hehe. Munchkin's a great game. The last game I played ended at like 4 AM, when I finally got the card necessary to curse my friend's Tuba Of Charm (which was the most annoying thing in existence because I kept trying to kill him, but after I dumped an entire hand into attempting to buff a monster, which got its total difficulty over 100, he just used the Tube and automatically escaped), and a curse to destroy his Wishing Ring so he couldn't stop my cursing his Tuba, and we had an argument over whether or not he could use his Ring before my Curse destroyed it or not. The argument ended with both our hands and all the pillows in the room all over the floor. Good times.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 11:42:23 pm »

I have a habit of collecting Pokémon cards, even though I have nobody to play the TCG with.

There are actually 3 other Pokémon maniacs who ride my bus, but one of them hasn't played the TCG in years and the other two collect the cards but have no clue how to play the game. I watched them do that one time, but they had no effing clue whatsoever how the game works. They didn't use Energy cards-- just picking random attacks and using them--, they played fully evolved Pokemon without playing their base forms, I never heard one thing about Prize Cards, etc. etc.
Heh, sounds like my entire school in grades 4-6. Everybody had/traded/fought over Pokémon cards, nobody knew how to play beyond exactly like that.

If you're really desperate for some Pokémon TCG action, there's an official downloadable online game for it that lets you play against other people. It's... well. Kind of awful, in my short experience, but it does what it says on the tin. You can unlock some theme decks and booster packs for free, but beyond that you have to redeem the codes that come with physical booster packs to get more cards, so you'll have a hard time replicating your actual collection.

If you can get past the laughably awful "character" art and unbelievably shoddy programming (my second attempt at playing the game led to it grabbing over a gig of memory and freezing up my entire computer to the point where I almost had to reboot in order to close it), then, well, the Pokémon TCG is pretty fun, and it gives you actual people to play against, supposedly.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 05:26:36 am »

Yeah, I've heard of Hearthstone. It's based on WoW, right?
yup. Well, Warcraft in general.
Pages: [1] 2