Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 89

Author Topic: Stuck in an MMO OOC thread  (Read 57485 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in an MMO Pre-Game Planning
« Reply #780 on: July 05, 2014, 03:49:37 pm »

Question:For animal training, could players pay a fee to NPC Animal/Wild Shamans?

They'd basically talk/use w.e magic they have to make the animal loyal to the player.

Hence you'd have a companion.

Or only have mounts to ride. I really didn't lime animals being as powerful or even more powerful than masters in game because it felt..stupid.

Idk I like to fight the player not some random animal who has kung fuller/magical buffs to annoy you.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 05, 2014, 04:00:42 pm »

Magic doesn't really work that way in this, bending an animals will is more then support.

I'd agree with buying but it should represent that the animal has no loyalty to you if it was tamed by someone else.
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 05, 2014, 07:34:39 pm »

Charm collars?

Collars can give booms or Debuffs, but they have to be enchanted first.

A special "brainwash" (for lack of a better word) collar can be put on the animal to have them bend to the wearer of a ring (input magical item here). They can also be further enchanted by stronger magicians at higher cost of gold and (input a secondary currency).

Debuff enchantment I'm case you have someone or something captured and you want to make them weaker by making them slower, blinding, deafness, nausea, or other effects. Some effects can be life threatening.

Pro buffs are obvious good enchantment that can help the wearer.

Thoughts blitz and/or fellow forumites?

P.s still using phone so excuse grammar :(

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 05, 2014, 07:39:24 pm »

What's stopping it from use by slavers on humans?

Actually, there shouldn't be anything. It'd be a nice touch.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 05, 2014, 07:41:22 pm »

The same thing that prevents you from being able to force a player to do what you want if you revive him. It would invariably go horribly wrong because sooner or later a player would try using it on another one.

And if you want to make players immune that would then need to include all 500,000 players and no game would ever include a way to forcibly take control of other players permanently.

Plus an item that can permanently over power a creatures free will would require an insane amount of magical power to accomplish, way beyond the level of supporting magic that was decided on.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 05, 2014, 07:49:35 pm »

It obviously wouldn't be always on in players. Just on when they are given an order. And orders would need to be from a list of orders that the game gives like 'follow X' or 'assist with x task' for a limited amount of time before the collar can be ignored. I mean, in any game like DayZ people will kidnap others so why not organize it?

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 05, 2014, 07:54:47 pm »

They can only kidnap them if the person surrenders though. And the only ones who surrender are the newbies who didn't stash spare gear around in case of death.

Giving players the ability to forcibly take control of other players is opening a box that should not be opened. Even if temporary it is guaranteed to kill at least 1 player. Because when it wears off the one you took is going to murder you unless you murder him first then your friends will try to help you and his friends will try to help him and you'll all end up killing each other.
Or you'll use it on an NPC and all his friends will come to murder you and if you murder them even more people will come for you for killing real people, not including what will likely be a pretty large number of players who will likely become similar to police and will kill you for slavery as well as murder, and the other slavers who will kill you to be rid of competition.

It might be a fun idea but it'll cause a massive civil war amongst the people trapped in the game not to mention just amongst us.

Being able to tame an animal shouldn't just be a matter of putting a collar on it and your done like every other skill in the game it requires hard work and dedication to build up your abilities and do it properly.
If you can use magic to just skip it then the entire point of skills falls apart.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:57:25 pm by PewdsRocks »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 05, 2014, 08:00:36 pm »

Unless the magic itself requires a lot of hard work and/or skill.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 05, 2014, 08:01:34 pm »

We chose limited support magic though. Being able to enslave people is a little more then limited support magic.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 05, 2014, 08:02:44 pm »

We chose limited support magic though. Being able to enslave people is a little more then limited support magic.

Make it only work on animals with a certain percentage of hit points, and give it a chance to fail that increases with how powerful the animal is.

Bam, problem solved.
Take a closer look at this text!

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 05, 2014, 08:05:36 pm »

It'd have to be a serious chance of failing if your going to enable magic to completely negate the need for skills.

As well as being an extremely high level piece of magic to begin with so it'd need a lot of very rare ingredients to be able to perform the enchantment as well as some serious skill.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:07:48 pm by PewdsRocks »

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 05, 2014, 08:07:48 pm »

It'd have to be a serious chance of failing if your going to enable magic to completely negate the need for skills.

I would think that slapping a collar onto a hostile animal's neck at a certain percentage of hitpoints would require skill.

And presumably we'd have to buy them.

Hell, make it work temporarily so someone with the appropriate skill has enough time to tame it if it bothers you that much. Makes more sense than randomly befriending them after you beat the crap out of them.
Take a closer look at this text!

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 05, 2014, 08:11:17 pm »

You can't tame an animal thats enslaved already. To tame it you have to actually make it want to stay with you. I'm pretty sure a slave is going to be to busy trying to overpower the enchantment and eat you to become your friend.

If you've been able to beat the animal down that far then I doubt it can overpower you to prevent you putting the collar on it when it's half dead.

As for how you'd tame it normally, I didn't intend on nearly killing the animals first at all I intended on buying a potion to put it to sleep then coating food that animal would eat in it and letting it eat it.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 05, 2014, 08:16:15 pm »

Pewd.

People are going to die anyways regardless of the world. I'm SAO people would throw suicide because they just got frustrated or plain gave up.

I feel you have a big "good person complex" in these forums all the time. An it's not bad but if you can't make a good villain then heroes (or anti heroes) have very little to do. Plus the GM can make it so only players on a bounty hunt can use collars against NPCs or pkers or cheaters. No executions just capture and detainment.

The only good point you made is about how the animal training skill would be useless or how it wouldn't be as fun spending time with them.

To that I agree. What if you can buy said "pre trained" animals off a special merchant? Then just have spend time with it untill it's "Trust" and love of you is built. Higher levels would mean different more exotic/ stronger animals.

Starters could be falcon, cats, dogs, and rats. Animals can be more of a support system than they are combat partners if players choose that path, which I will.

Edit: still on crappy android phone so I cant quote very well either. What Lycos said is true and would work well with me.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 05, 2014, 08:17:32 pm »

Maybe you have to save it from something to gain its trust?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 89