Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 89

Author Topic: Stuck in an MMO OOC thread  (Read 57391 times)

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in an MMO Pre-Game Planning
« Reply #375 on: June 29, 2014, 07:26:25 pm »

Which should generally involve the things that an actual mmo would have.
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 29, 2014, 07:26:36 pm »

Yeah but it's a game..... games always have some system for telling. They have Karma, or status effects, or the game records your kills and you can just look at the characters history.
Do what now?  ::)
Not the games I've been playing.

That said, again, introducing a system just to match some show or whatever it is that ruins immersion is ridiculous. Why would we even be able to see their name?  :-\

I mean, it's not like we're actually making an MMO here. We're making an MMO-themed forum game.
I don't know who this is directed at, but this is kind of my point.
Take a closer look at this text!

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 29, 2014, 07:28:05 pm »

Again. Not a show.

Starwars knights of the old republic has a system to track your pvp wins.
World of warcraft has the same system.
Runescape has one.

So does every single real mmo I've played. Games always have a system to track peoples wins and losses in pvp.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 29, 2014, 07:29:59 pm »

Generally, unless I'm mistaken, those have designated PvP areas that have little to no bearing on the rest of the game. I >know< Runescape does, and I know you cannot check it in game unless they've changed it.

If the whole game is designated PvP, that's just silly to mark it. I mean, sure, they probably have something you can check, but not something that, realistically, we would be able to check as our characters.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 29, 2014, 07:31:55 pm »

Runescape placed a cross next to your name if you'd killed somebody.

But since this game doesn't include charisma it would be literally impossible to tell if somebody was a killer or not without some kind of system to show it. All they have to do is deny it and thats it you might as well flip a coin to decide because thats all you got. A guess.

Which means murder would be a rampant problem forever with no possible way to stop it or catch any murderer with half a brain cell.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 29, 2014, 07:34:18 pm »

But since this game doesn't include charisma it would be literally impossible to tell if somebody was a killer or not without some kind of system to show it. All they have to do is deny it and thats it you might as well flip a coin to decide because thats all you got. A guess.
Like reality, books, not MMOs. You have to make judgements based off their character and evidence, and this game might actually include a Charisma stat if Blitz decided to do so.

Runescape placed a cross next to your name if you'd killed somebody.
All I recall was the veeeery temporary skull over the head, which still had no bearing outside of the Wilderness.
And also wouldn't be viewable as a person stuck in the game.

Which means murder would be a rampant problem forever with no possible way to stop it or catch any murderer with half a brain cell.
Guess the real world is totally screwed, then.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 29, 2014, 07:35:27 pm »

Blitz isn't I asked this morning because I wondered how you got people to join your guild. You have to make a speech yourself or try to persuade them. No charisma stat for it because the players are real people so a stat that has identical effect on 500,000 different people is impossible.

And how can you judge his character in a game? All you can do is ask him questions and all he has to do is lie to you and you have nothing.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 29, 2014, 07:36:27 pm »

And how can you judge his character in a game? All you can do is ask him questions and all he has to do is lie to you and you have nothing.
Welcome to the real world, where character is based off of people's actions and evidence.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 29, 2014, 07:37:22 pm »

And how can you track his actions and look for evidence in the game? You'd need months per person to do it by asking everybody you see and walking thousands of miles to back track him and then take random guesses about anything that happened when he was in the general area.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 29, 2014, 07:39:46 pm »

And how can you track his actions and look for evidence in the game? You'd need months per person to do it by asking everybody you see.
The same way you do things in the real world, albeit slower.
You can see what they do with you.
Yeah, people will be good at manipulation and lying.
Why are you opposed to keeping a challenge in a game?

This is a non-issue in every other forum game. The other "players" are actually NPCs.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 29, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »

Yes but they are playing the same role as us. They are playing the players. I can't make a guild if I have no way to judge people or to keep track so I know my people aren't killing or stealing. When your running around on your own thats not a problem.

I need to interact with huge numbers of people so I need a way to actually be able to tell if I'm being lied to or if I'm dealing with somebody that's not a killer. I don't have the option of asking them to wait a month while I go investigate.
So unless the game is going to include a very very good perception system then I need the color system or something like it.

I'm perfectly happy to have a challenge in the game, but not one that's impossible to actually counter.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 29, 2014, 07:43:57 pm »

Unless the NPCs are so generic and dull that they don't have lives, there will be little to no difference between them and the false players. In fact, the false players are basically taking the normal NPC slot.
 ::)

You won't be able to tell if they're lying unless you add a status for every single immoral thing they do. Which is absurd. On so many levels.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 29, 2014, 07:45:28 pm »

Which is why it was just for crimes not lying. It at least gave you some safety margin so if a guy lied to join then went and robbed somebody you'd know.

But like I said it either needs a good perception system to allow you to actually read people or it needs a system to identify killers and criminals.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 29, 2014, 07:48:13 pm »

You're basically screwing over any of us that want to play as, say, thieves or something.
There's no way to tell if someone is definitely lying in several other games, and nobody is complaining about  it like this.

Evidence always works. Evidence and bounties.
And, as you have people under you, you could send them out to find evidence. Spy networks and such.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 29, 2014, 07:50:13 pm »

Well we could have the Virus have it's own Police set up bounties for said players? Or game w.e.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 89