Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 89

Author Topic: Stuck in an MMO OOC thread  (Read 57312 times)

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in an MMO Pre-Game Planning
« Reply #255 on: June 28, 2014, 10:31:28 pm »

That would be why he lost health in blocking the hit. In games you don't get broken bones you lose part of your hp bar. Which he did.

* Lyeos looks at Dwarf Fortress as well as several other forum games in which limbs do get broken, and even some normal ones.

Look, basically, you keep spouting how everything has to be realistically possible, but also spouting things about game mechanics when you want to keep something after I point out why it wouldn't work.
Don't get me wrong, I understand multishot is in no way realistic, but if you get to say "it works because it's a game", then I get to use that excuse too.

Believe me, I'm more for rapid succession shots, but not such a low limit of a combo in comparison to something like that while dual wielding swords that size is allowed.
Take a closer look at this text!

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 28, 2014, 10:34:10 pm »

I was only explaining it in the context of the setting you used as your example, you pointed out why it shouldn't have worked in that clip I explained why it did. It wasn't aimed at this game at all.

I never actually said that would work that way in this setting. I might not even manage to unlock that skill in this game. How it works in this game is entirely up to the gm to decide. He might choose to do things using that form of damage so it's possible to do but hurts you or he might choose to use realism so it breaks your arms and kills you or he might choose something else entirely.

Thats up to him not us. You used SAO as your example so I explained why in SAO he was able to do that and you wouldn't be able to fire 4 arrows at once.

And I never actually said everything should be realistic in the game. I said everyone should begin on an equal footing. I don't remember saying it should be realistic.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:35:47 pm by PewdsRocks »
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 28, 2014, 10:40:20 pm »

You have to keep to whats possible and firing 5 arrows at once ain't possible.
Every single skill shown from this system was humanly possible they just required some serious skill.
You also said something in regards to ranged weaponry as one of your main arguments for not having them.

>humanly possible< implies realistic.

Everyone >will< start on equal footing! but if something like that were to be allowed! while limiting ranged people to a measly three arrows! it wouldn't >be< equal, because of a significant gap in damage output and, well, usefulness.

Autocorrect likes to replace commas with exclamation points and put the word "a" before nouns.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:43:47 pm by Lyeos »

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 28, 2014, 10:42:43 pm »

Btw what story are we going to be in?

I thought this was a kingdom of amaluar and sao but not sure anymore.

Also can it be a universe where small quick skirmishes between armies and assassination attempts are common? That's always a plus.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 28, 2014, 10:42:59 pm »

The two times you've presented were after you used SAO as your example, like I said. I was explaining why it wouldn't work using SAO's system for it not saying it was humanly realistic.

And I dropped the other bit ages ago and just voted yes for ranged weaponry as soon as it was decided we weren't basing the game on SAO. And when did I mention limiting ranged people to three arrows?

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 28, 2014, 10:44:59 pm »

And I dropped the other bit ages ago and just voted yes for ranged weaponry as soon as it was decided we weren't basing the game on SAO. And when did I mention limiting ranged people to three arrows?

When we were discussing the powerful skills, you said:
just combo 2-3 types of arrows 1 after another. You have to keep to whats possible and firing 5 arrows at once ain't possible.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 28, 2014, 10:45:48 pm »

That was only an example.... 2-3-10. However many you feel like or have available one after another.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 28, 2014, 10:48:17 pm »

That was only an example.... 2-3-10. However many you feel like or have available one after another.
M'kay.
I kinda wanna do 1 each of 4 "special" arrows, 3 - 4 normal arrows...
With the addition that all the specials, excluding explosive if they're even a thing, do less or no damage, but apply status effects.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 28, 2014, 10:55:37 pm »

Why not have a special arrow that can be made using a regular arrow and some potion to make a vomit enduring arrow.

Imagine having that locked in your enemies abdomen and it makes him vomit all over..he/she has no chance but to make distance and keep away until the effects ware off.

Will do less damage than a regular arrow but will leave said enemy open for a star burst stream or sword blitz.

Btw is it possible to just have a double dagger and shadowy character?

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 28, 2014, 10:57:34 pm »

Or just a single arrow that applies multiple status effects... I think I like this idea...

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 28, 2014, 11:04:54 pm »

Generally they have to have a single effect. Kinda why I suggested rapid fire instead.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 28, 2014, 11:06:23 pm »

Generally they have to have a single effect. Kinda why I suggested rapid fire instead.
Why, though? I'm not talking about explosive fire poison arrows, I mean one made with a more powerful poison that adds blindness, confusion, etc. in addition to the normal damage poison.

But, whatever.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2014, 11:07:36 pm »

Oh that's still only poison. I thought you meant multiple types.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2014, 11:08:40 pm »

Oh that's still only poison. I thought you meant multiple types.
No! I just meant multiple status effects! Stacked, blindness, confusion, and maybe one or two more could be very useful in a non-damage way.  :P

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 29, 2014, 02:30:56 am »

Hmm...
Anybody mind giving me a quick recap of what was discussed? I read it, but...
I don't understand it.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 89