Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 89

Author Topic: Stuck in an MMO OOC thread  (Read 57254 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in an MMO Pre-Game Planning
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2014, 02:10:27 pm »

So, second option? Cool.
Now then, should I include different races? And if so, should they be themed?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2014, 02:11:29 pm »

Not as playable races.
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2014, 02:11:59 pm »

Not as playable races.
Seconded. Not much point.
Take a closer look at this text!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2014, 02:13:44 pm »

If they aren't going to be playable then why include them?

I think we should be able to play as different races. You know, like you are playing as yourself as a character in a game you play which would give a reason to know skills and such.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2014, 02:15:43 pm »

Except we're selecting our own skills, so your race has nothing to do with it at all.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2014, 02:19:35 pm »

Might give you certain bonuses and maluses though.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2014, 02:20:47 pm »

And, as horrible as this sounds, would cause players to potentially deal with racism, if we're going for a semi-realistic world.  :-\

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2014, 02:21:02 pm »

And that right there is why I oppose other playable races.

Because then your right back to the restrictions otherwise if you choose the race you like and it doesn't fit the skills you like your punished for it, for example. I might like to be an ork rogue. The Ork race would never give bonuses to it so every elf on the planet would make a better rogue then me.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2014, 02:24:57 pm »

Hmm...
Has anyone read the fanfic Fairy Dance of Death? It illustrates what would have happened if, instead of making SAO, Kayaba made ALO. The whole racism thing is kinda present, and it presents a fairly interesting magic system, in that the author made a whole new language for magic, and certain words had certain effects. So, should we include magic? Not sure if this was resolved, but I don't think it was.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2014, 02:26:34 pm »

It kinda got jumped over. But I'd rather not include magic that just add even more to the argument of people taking unequal risk in fights when mages like ranged users will be hiding behind the melee at all times leaving a small number of people to suffer the majority of the risk.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2014, 02:27:11 pm »

I'm neither for nor against the idea of adding races.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2014, 02:27:47 pm »

I think magic is a fine idea.

Also, take into consideration that you wouldn't be a worse rogue, you'd be a different rogue. An Elf may be able to sneak better but if they get caught they're SOL. An Orc however would be able to fight.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2014, 02:29:17 pm »

Yeah thats exactly why I don't want it. Why should an elf be able to sneak better? Or an ork fight better?

It's the same as saying a girl can't fight as well as a boy. It's total crap it comes down to how your raised not if you have pointy ears or sharp teeth.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2014, 02:31:08 pm »

And, you know, the fact that in most fantasy universes Elves are more slender and lighter on their feet then Orcs who are bigger stronger and have tougher skin.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2014, 02:31:14 pm »

Yeah thats exactly why I don't want it. Why should an elf be able to sneak better? Or an ork fight better?

It's the same as saying a girl can't fight as well as a boy. It's total crap it comes down to how your raised not if you have pointy ears or sharp teeth.
... Because Orcish and Elven cultures would likely raise them that way, so it at the very least makes more sense.

Don't get me wrong, if you're gonna go with "raised by elves" or something, it would make sense, if not for it being a game with characters that were generated.

And, you know, the fact that in most fantasy universes Elves are more slender and lighter on their feet then Orcs who are bigger stronger and have tougher skin.
This as well, being just the way that their bodies grow.

I don't really care either way.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 89