Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 89

Author Topic: Stuck in an MMO OOC thread  (Read 57193 times)

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in an MMO Interest Check
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2014, 02:11:19 pm »

I know, same as Asunas but if hers had a name I missed it. It was just the best example I could think of to make it clear what I was asking.

Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2014, 02:14:57 pm »

Are you talking about Linear? Cause that's what Asuna uses.

So, class system? Or should I clarify what SAO's system is like?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2014, 02:16:46 pm »

Are you talking about Linear? Cause that's what Asuna uses.

So, class system? Or should I clarify what SAO's system is like?
I kinda like HugoLuman's suggestion where "class" only determines starting equipment, and the Kingdoms of Amalur thing where actual skill trees allowed you to mix 'n match to build a character you liked. But sure, explain.
Take a closer look at this text!

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2014, 02:18:43 pm »

I'm not sure. The one where she'd land a huge number of precision thrusts so fast you could barely track her attacks if at all.

She was the only one ever shown to have that kind of speed and precision. Even Kirito couldn't match her ability to combine the two he had superior speed but he just used it to hack and slash.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:21:47 pm by PewdsRocks »

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2014, 02:23:12 pm »

That's kind of what SAO's system entailed. Basically, there were around a 1000 skills, and you'd mix'n'match 10 of those. They'd be things like blacksmithing, cooking, dual-wielding etc.
And yeah, you're thinking of Linear.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2014, 02:28:33 pm »

Well duel wielding wouldn't count because you couldn't choose it, but yeah the Amalar and SAO systems are pretty similar in most regards.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2014, 05:20:55 pm »

Basically, there were around a 1000 skills, and you'd mix'n'match 10 of those.
I... Can't say I'd hate this...

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2014, 07:45:24 pm »

I was really looking forward to a sword art online game specifically because of there being no ranged safety net, every fight would be interesting because every fight carries the risk of death for everyone.
Thats not to say im opposed to consumables like grenade flasks and throwing knives, i just didnt want crossbows or magic allowing certain players to attack from 50 feet away with no risk to themselves.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2014, 08:27:47 pm »

I'd very much like an SAO game simply because it would mean everyone has an equal chance to die. An when i mean die i mean having your brain melted or normal death depending if this is one of those "universe in a universe" type of games.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2014, 08:35:53 pm »

Unless I'm mistaken, Pewds fully intended to stay behind the others and get hits in while he could, meaning there would still be meatshields and an unequal chance of dying, just everyone would be using melee.

I'm opposed to magic, but a game where everyone uses melee, particularly a forum game when what you can do is limited moreso than the world of "light novels", anime, and the like, wouldn't be terribly interesting, specifically because the fights would likely go roughly the same way in a similar manner to ones where there are ranged units... Just... Without the ranged units.

Also, what difference is there between throwing knives and having a bow, other than range and maybe carrying capacity, and maaaaybe power? You're still going to run out, but the arrows are going to be more beneficial to the team of players precisely because of that increased range.

That said, if you're going for grenade flasks, you do realize that I'm totally going to be building a character specifically dedicated to making and using things like that, right? Frankly, explosives seem worse for people in this setting than ranged weaponry - one of the arguments was that the melee people would get in the way of archers, so they wouldn't be effective, but I don't see throwing explosives around in a melee oriented game being a better option.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2014, 08:49:19 pm »

Well not so much hide behind as act in combination with the way they did in SAO. One blocked the first strike or deflected it then immediately stepped out of the way and a second person came in right behind to counter attack then they stepped aside and the first came in again and so on.

The two had different fighting styles so it kept the opponent totally off balance and unable to fight back effectively because he was constantly swapping between defending against pin point high speed attacks and a huge volume of hack and slash attacks.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2014, 09:16:03 pm »

Personally, i'd like it if i could go "solo" and run my own little shop. That way i can be more of a competing merchant in the world and influence the game via the markets.

I'd also like magic mostly because it would mean more variety.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2014, 09:17:49 pm »

I was actually contemplating playing mostly of a support and then using the various support skills in conjunction with a weapon talent to fight.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2014, 09:20:05 pm »

Pewds strategy for hiding behind otgers is perfectly valid, shield walls have been around forever but carry tge inherent problem of you being fucked if the guy in front of you doesnt block the spear flying at your face.
Hes less at risk yes, but with a melee weapon he is still at risk when he attacks or the blocker fails.

As for consumable ranged weapons such as knives and flasks, they are short range and you cant carry 200 of them.
Basically they are support items or glorified distractions, and i never meant that grenade flasks would be explosives, i just used the term to describe offensive potions with splash radius like a vial of acid that reduces an affected enemies armor rating.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2014, 09:27:41 pm »

Basically they are support items or glorified distractions, and i never meant that grenade flasks would be explosives, i just used the term to describe offensive potions with splash radius like a vial of acid that reduces an affected enemies armor rating.
If this is involved in a starting class, or we're doing that select ten thing, I'm going for it. Still, a vial of acid isn't gonna be nice when it hits your own people, and you still have the problem of them being in the way.

Hes less at risk yes, but with a melee weapon he is still at risk when he attacks or the blocker fails.
Read: When the guy in front of him doing the most attacking and taking the damage dies.

Pewds strategy for hiding behind otgers is perfectly valid.
Having archers is perfectly valid too. Realistic as well.

As for consumable ranged weapons such as knives and flasks, they are short range and you cant carry 200 of them.
What point is there in using the knives if you could be using that time to ready your weapon? And, unless I'm crazy, knives seem less likely to break than arrows.

God, I feel like GWG.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 89