Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 89

Author Topic: Stuck in an MMO OOC thread  (Read 57194 times)

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in an MMO Interest Check
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2014, 01:12:16 pm »

Free form as in the opposite of WOW in which you have no control over your characters development. If you choose a priest you have 0 weapon skill if you choose a warrior you can't even fire a crossbow straight.
WOW is designed to force you to play in specific roles.
Okay, but you kept pushing a system that only allowed melee. Considering this is a forum game, it's very doubtful that that would be the case. I mean, you would presumably have some form of disadvantage for a while, since you wouldn't be used to using that weapon, but still.

Also, no one said we had to. Someone suggested it.

Spoiler tags, my immortal enemy... damn you!
On a more serious note, the starting equipment issue requires other things to be decided, the most important being: are we going to use a class system?
For starting skills and equipment? Why not?
Take a closer look at this text!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2014, 01:13:16 pm »

Then why aren't we using Kingdom of Amular as a base?

... Actually that's a good question. It solves a lot of problems and will allow people to play how they want.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2014, 01:15:50 pm »

I'm for free-form.

This might be a bad example, but for starting out we could do like Dark Souls. Starting classes in that are basically just bundles of equipment.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2014, 01:16:13 pm »

What if you use Nethack as a base?  It does have all the statistics for creatures ready.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2014, 01:17:26 pm »

I'm for free-form.

This might be a bad example, but for starting out we could do like Dark Souls. Starting classes in that are basically just bundles of equipment.
Yes. This.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2014, 01:18:30 pm »

I'm in favor of the Dark Souls idea.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2014, 01:18:36 pm »

Well I've been trying to make the suggestion but I keep getting side tracked arguing. I also voted to allow ranged in case you missed it. Just with a limit.

Amalars class system was fantastic in the way that unlike other games you could mix and match classes to make your own unique one to fit your style as long as you were willing to pay the prices for it.

My best character was from a number standpoint weak as he'll but I annihilated enemies that people with stronger builds found challenging.

Dark souls is kinda a stripped to the bones version of Amalar.
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2014, 01:20:47 pm »

Nethack is kinda bad as a base. I've played it and, well...
Anyway, the Dark Souls way might work. What' s Kingdom of Amalur?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2014, 01:22:08 pm »

Nethack is kinda bad as a base. I've played it and, well...
Anyway, the Dark Souls way might work. What' s Kingdom of Amalur?
Hmm. A rather mediocre game with a quite good idea. Very much just click, click, click, except for skills. Which were still click. Was fun, yet irritating.
Yeah, it let you pick stuff from three different "classes", so you could mix 'n match. I went full Finesse, though.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2014, 01:25:07 pm »

I went finesse first then mixed and matched bits of magic and brute force in.

In essence you had 3 classes your strength warrior, mage and finesse rouge each broken into lots of sub classes as you levelled up. The good bit about it it was you could grab bits from all 3 sets as you went to tailor it to suit yourself rather then the rigid hunters shoot, mages cast spells of most mmo.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2014, 01:55:52 pm »

Huh. That could work. I think a modified version of SAO's skill system could work as well.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2014, 01:58:03 pm »

Works for me, will you include unique skills? Like skills that players earn that only they will have like the star burst stream duel wield.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2014, 02:01:05 pm »

Starburst Stream was a Sword Skill unique to the Dual Blades skill, whick in itself was a unique skill. And maybe.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2014, 02:02:31 pm »

I know that's why I used it as my example. It was the most well known one from the series.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2014, 02:08:12 pm »

Starburst isn't a skill, per se, at least not in SAO terms. A skill in SAO is something like cooking, or wielding a one-handed sword. Starburst is an attack.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 89