Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is fixing the two-handed wield glitch easy to do in the raws?  (Read 1606 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!

Can I just fix the glitch by adding the weapons that don't work due to being two-handed into the entity_default.txt? Or is it not that simple?
Regards,
Dampe

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Is fixing the two-handed wield glitch easy to do in the raws?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:45:26 pm »

It's not determined by the civilization's access to the weapon. Weapons have minimum sizes and two-handed sizes in their raws. I learned this the hard way after trying to embark as goblins and found they couldn't cut down trees with the great-axes they brought with them. Anyways:

To be able to use a weapon with only one hand, the user must be larger than the size specified by the token [TWO_HANDED:size]

To use it at all, they must be above the [MINIMUM_SIZE:size]. You will want to lower this one.

Because of a bug in fortress mode, only the racial average specified in the raws will be taken into account when a dwarf goes to choose a weapon, as opposed to the dwarf's individual size, so they will never take a weapon with a minimum size of over 60000, even if they would be large enough to use it just fine.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 06:48:41 pm »

It's not determined by the civilization's access to the weapon. Weapons have minimum sizes and two-handed sizes in their raws. I learned this the hard way after trying to embark as goblins and found they couldn't cut down trees with the great-axes they brought with them. Anyways:

To be able to use a weapon with only one hand, the user must be larger than the size specified by the token [TWO_HANDED:size]

To use it at all, they must be above the [MINIMUM_SIZE:size]. You will want to lower this one.

Because of a bug in fortress mode, only the racial average specified in the raws will be taken into account when a dwarf goes to choose a weapon, as opposed to the dwarf's individual size, so they will never take a weapon with a minimum size of over 60000, even if they would be large enough to use it just fine.

So, how do I fix the problem in my raws?
(If at all.)
Regards,
Dampe

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »

Do you mean in a running save?

Go into the raws, either the main ones or the ones of a save, and find the weapons file.

Simply changing the [MINIMUM_SIZE] of larger weapons such as the pike, maul, two-handed sword, and halberd to 60000 should allow dwarves to use them.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:55:21 pm by BlackFlyme »

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 07:15:37 pm »

I'm not going to be changing it in a running save, I'm just setting up some mods and stuff in the raws for a fort I'm starting soon, if that matters.
Regards,
Dampe

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 12:21:29 am »

BlackFlyme already explained it beautifully. Either make the creatures larger, or the weapons requirements smaller. Either will work.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 08:31:50 am »

BlackFlyme already explained it beautifully. Either make the creatures larger, or the weapons requirements smaller. Either will work.

I'll probably make the weapons requirements smaller.

I try not to tamper with the dwarves.
(too much)
Regards,
Dampe