Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Locating the corpse of an adventurer  (Read 501 times)

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Locating the corpse of an adventurer
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »

I have a habit of bringing the corpses of my more successful adventurers to a central resting place.
However, one adventurer who slew many night trolls got murderd in his sleep by goblins while resting outside. To find his corpse, I would have to search a really large area, which is kind of annoying. Is there a better way to find a specific dead person?
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Locating the corpse of an adventurer
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:43:07 pm »

You could check legends mode and try to get a better idea where s/he died.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 01:02:12 pm »

I did, but as I said, the region is rather large. It takes up roughly a third of the continent and is larger than most human realms.
I can narrow it down to a smaller area, since I know where I was and where I wanted to go, but it is still al lot of space.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:27:23 pm »

You could search a larger area at a time by searching in fort mode. Max embark size, check site items for your adventuring gear, terminate DF without saving (so as not to pollute your world with useless giant forts).

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 02:06:35 pm »

I did this in another case, where the possible area was only five tiles on the world map (and I was lucky, it was in the first one). I can't use the maximal fort size, since DF hugs all the working memory if I do that, a fourth of a world map tile works though. That means, there are more than 400 possible places to search with a fortress, leading to an expectation value of 200 forts before I find the corpse. Probably less, if I embark on the most probable sites first.
To check for items: don't I need a bookkeeper with a room and a chair for this? This takes significantly more time.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 04:40:36 pm »

Nope. You can get precise counts as long as there's less than ten items. If your adventurer was carrying less than ten backpacks, you'll be able to locate them. Even if your adventurer was carrying more than ten of every item, the stocks screen will still show that there are items somewhere on the map.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:24:58 pm »

Great. I think i can give it a try.