Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Goals for the fortress:

Embrace the name, full power to the cheese industry, maybe we can hire Misty from the littlest cheese maker.
- 4 (80%)
Other: post comment of other ideas.
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: DF - by committee: Welcome to Stenchhammer[Y3] - Fort goals  (Read 7001 times)

Dwarfy

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanted: Dead or with Chives
    • View Profile
Re: DF - by committee, Vote 16: What to do when FUN! occurs?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2014, 01:39:37 pm »

Oh wonderful!

I, for one, would much enjoy the theme of 'Death to Elves' in this fortress. Perhaps an aim of capturing as many live elves as possible and killing them in the most creative ways? They do indeed have much to atone for...though of course we shall not return their actions and consume them, no. That would be raising to their levels. We dwarves shall stick to morally acceptable things, such as the Grand Collapsing Elf-PrisonTM.
"Necromancy is sort of like Jaywalking. It's not illegal, just frowned upon."

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2014, 02:10:36 pm »

No, a huge pit from the surface to the magma layer. Then we drop all de elves down it.

Zephyrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2014, 02:21:51 pm »

I personally opt for arena combat with what ever minotaurs and forgotten beast that happen to get cage trapped.  Elf Genocide for spectacle, must have giant bridge to act as a shutter window in the main dinning hall and the viewing area.  Then not only do we get dead elfs, but appropriately scared dwarfs as well, perhaps set up near a dwarven day care pit?  It should be noted that 2 elfs did not eat our kings, one literally hanged, another was displayed on a pike.

Keep the Idea's coming!  I'll post a poll tomorrow about what to do with the elfs using whatever suggestions i get here.  I am going to start the starting story writeup soon and take my first turn tonight/tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:24:46 pm by Zephyrous »

Zephyrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF - It Begins! Turn 1 & Intro
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2014, 03:37:35 pm »

First two posts are updated!, i may work on the second one in the future as i'm out of time at the moment, some screen shots of claimed dwarfs in the description.  I'll be taking my turn tonight as well.  Question, where would be the best place to upload the saves too? Google drive perhaps?

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2014, 04:00:38 pm »

i generally use dffd,but i used another site i can't remember once,because dffd had this weird issue where my upload stopped at 80 something percent,and then started moving backwards.

Dwarfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2014, 05:28:15 pm »

I'd say any file service of decent reputation will do.

Additionally, as we're going to be swapping nothing more than the save, I'd imagine, may I ask which version this game is to be played on? Also, what texture packs/utilities should we use? I'm fine to just use whatever Zyph is using, but I'll probably need to get it beforehand, as I normally play with it basic.

Depending, actually, it might be simpler for Zyph to just take a full copy of the game, erase any saves but the Line's, and just upload that, textures and all. Probably one of my favorite things about the game, really, it's such a manageable file size!  :)

Zephyrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2014, 06:58:19 pm »

Oh, we are using game version 40.04, and i'm using the "starter pack" that used to be  known as "lazy newb pack" .  graphics are ironhands from that package.  i'll update the main post with the link to it.

Zephyrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turn 1 - Welcome to Stenchhammer, the elfs came to get some.
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2014, 01:37:54 pm »

15th Granite, 190:
Sweet mother of mammories, my nipples are ridged.  Colder then the gaze of an elf as she watches a tree get chop down.  I have never seen the OCEAN freeze over before.  A heavy canopy covers the way up to a beach.  I see none of the rumored horrors in this area, however we had to flee from some on our journey in, i hope they were unable to follow us.  While normally i prefer to construct above ground fortifications before digging in deep, i'm going to make the exception here.  Not only have i heard terrible things about undead but of another creatures that inhabit the area that will consume all your booze in nearly no time at all given the opportunity.  Oh and i'm sure we past at LEAST a half a dozen eerie tower like structures on the way here, so our first objective is to dig in, get our supplies out of the range of theifs and start getting prepaired for winter, if it ever ends.
The site:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
26th Granite, 190:
A Crabmen couple that were walking on the beach wondered into our settlement, one of our faithful dogs took on the two and left a gory battle to unfold, terrifying some of our residents and delaying the process of moving our goods into below ground stockpiles.
Battle:
Yet our furry friend did not escape unscathed, it seems her rear right paw is badly injured.(exploded into gore)

8th slate, 190:
It appears that it rains a thick sludge here.  This foul substance is causing various fervors and dizziness about us, but seems to have no lethal effect, thus we will continue to work.

19th sandstone, 190:
Apparently with thawing waters comes suicidal Kea and grasshopper men, diving directly into the trees badly injuring and/or killing themselves, much to the horror of us.

6th Hematite, 190:
Summer has come to the region and the fruit trees are full in foiliage.  It is almost serene in a way, but we shall not let our guard down.  I have managed to secure farms, food and booze production along with a basic dormitory so we can stop sleeping in the dirt.  Attempts to dig deeper revealed damp stone so i shall focus on finding shallow stone.

10th Malachite, 190:
Migrants have arrived!  All three of them.  We have an Armorer with her son, no father it seems, and a clother.

13th Limestone, 190:
Traders arrived early in the season, much sooner then i expected.  Yet they showed up with no liaison a strange case indeed.  We were not quite prepared for this yet, but i'm sure we can manage to trade something to get our outpost going better.

19th Limestone, 190:
Migrants arrive... all four of them, a leather worker, a glassworker, a peasant(read start of new military), and a wood worker.  Not to shabby, at least they didn't drag along another useless resource consumer.

Since i was the only one that made anything tradable (3 glass serrated disks and a bunch of prepared food) i was able to secure plenty of new food to make better food for the fortress, some cloth, bolts and booze.

I have also set the Armor onto the task of making full sets of brass armor for a starting military contingency of five.  2 crossbow dwarfs and 3 melee types is what i'm going for at the moment.  I also assigned Dr. Von Katz as bookkeeper while i cook up food for the fort as he has little to do without the hospital up and running yet.

8th Moonstone, 190:

The Elfs have come, not doubt they have grown hungry and need to satisfy their hunger on our small community, They shall face the wrath of our new malitia commander, Crazyduck!

12th Moonstone, 190:
Alas the elfs faced our military not.  In the time it took them to gear up, a tussel between them some local kea, a kolbold thief, and the local state of gore in the area, seems to of scared them away before even advancing close enough to bother the livestock.

VICTORY IS OURS!

1st Granite, 191:
Thus my time to over see has come to an end.  Another shall take my place, i bid them well and leave them with the fortress in this current state, note that prepared foods fall under the "other" category, and we are well stocked food wise:
Overview & Wealth:

Fortress layout:

Dwarfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Our first invasion by the horrendous elves and they run away horrified of the surroundings which we chose to build a fortress in.

Seems like a fortuitous beginning!

Also, "Stenchhammer the Fragrant Fortress of Cheese". Ye gods, that's a name and a half. Well, I suppose we ought to trade for some cows or goats and get to fermenting mammary fluids. Just wouldn't seem proper if we didn't, the tourists would all be so disappointed. Bugger. I'm lactose intolerant. Well, that's the stench then...

Zephyrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One thing about that invasion... it was the announcement for goblins.  And all the elf had goblin names,  and used metal weapons.  I wonder what happened there.

Also for the future player... fort only recently ran out of booze.  Might want to bring those numbers up a bit.  Should be plants available from the farm.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

probably these were elves that were kidnapped and raised by goblins.check the civilization screen

Zephyrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thats odd, civilization screen does not show anything other then our home nation.  Another thing that struck me as odd as i've been attacked in 34.11 before by humans and dwarfs goblins have captured, but never exclusivly by an all child snatched unit.  Maybe the goblins died out and the elfs continued the traditions?

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

or maybe they were in fact bandits or something.since invaders are dragged from the populations,it's a possibility.although i admit i haven't played the new version yet.i'm still waiting for dfhack and a stable version to come out.

snackfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • biddyfox.com

I'm having compatibility issues. I've tried the save on every currently-released version of 0.40.x, but it hasn't worked. You guys got any tips?

Zephyrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I may of not uploaded it right, i zipped the region file (region1), renamed it stenchammer and uploaded it, i used dwarf fortress, the "starter pack" that used to be lazy newb pack, with ironhands graphics.  here is the link to it.

I could just zip the entire game folder (its only stench hammer) and upload that if this continues to be a problem

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

Here is the full zipped game from my hard drive (about 40 meg):http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9151
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:51:58 pm by Zephyrous »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8