Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is glass immune to dragonfire?  (Read 2250 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is glass immune to dragonfire?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 05:12:31 am »

Adamantine has actually been demonstrated to not be immune to dragonfire, though it takes a lot of it to melt it - go into Arena mode, spawn a Blizzard Man (which will itself never die to dragonfire) wearing adamantine armor, then spawn at least a dozen dragons to toast it to cinders (but make sure they can't actually reach it) and the armor will eventually melt.

No. All you've demonstrated is that dragonfire ignites blizzard men, and furiously burning blizzard men melt adamantine armor. The dragonfire itself did not melt any adamantine.

Don't believe me? Try your test again with a non-flammable target:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently it is an exception to the metal rule which is rather odd.
No, the other metals will all melt as well, IF they are loose items like the chain.

No. In v0.34, metals don't melt in dragonfire, including loose items, buildings, etc. It's a bug I've tested extensively. Try it yourself--you can set up as many dragons as you want in the object testing arena.

I looked through the bug reports and didn't see any mentions of the dragon fire + metal bug but I'm not sure if the "known" bug list I went through was comprehensive or not. Does anybody know if this has ever been formally brought to Toady's attention?

I discovered this bug, and, judging by the amount of resistance I've received, it is not a commonly-known issue. Feel free to create an official bug report if you would like.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 12:13:25 pm »

Adamantine has actually been demonstrated to not be immune to dragonfire, though it takes a lot of it to melt it - go into Arena mode, spawn a Blizzard Man (which will itself never die to dragonfire) wearing adamantine armor, then spawn at least a dozen dragons to toast it to cinders (but make sure they can't actually reach it) and the armor will eventually melt.

No. All you've demonstrated is that dragonfire ignites blizzard men, and furiously burning blizzard men melt adamantine armor. The dragonfire itself did not melt any adamantine.

Don't believe me? Try your test again with a non-flammable target:
[snip]
Your "non-flammable target" method doesn't exactly work either, since it will still be able to melt metal items because what's happening is that the dragonfire heats up the creature and the creature's heat then proceeds to melt the metal. I actually tried this with a bronze colossus (with bronze modded to have no melting/boiling points) and it still worked.

The bug does appear to be real, tough, and I've managed to confirm it in a rather amusing fashion - I created some iron bars sitting in the path of dragonfire (without any creatures nearby), observed that they cooled to ambient temperature, then used DFHack to clear the [IS_METAL] flag on the IRON material and watched the iron immediately melt and boil away.

There is now a bug report for this.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:40:26 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 02:22:31 pm »

As a minor oddity, i found that dragons' fire immunity might work by completely deleting all fire effects on them - my arena-generated dragons were created with various bits of equipment, none of which ever suffered fire damage - this included troll fur socks (and they've been shooting each other with dragon fire so long that the socks are about to fall victim to wear) and wooden armour.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 02:58:09 pm »

Sorry I was basing it off experience with other items + the adamantine comment, didn't have any idea anybody was actually suggesting a metals-SPECIFIC bug, which apparently there is.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 03:56:30 pm »

Your "non-flammable target" method doesn't exactly work either, since it will still be able to melt metal items because what's happening is that the dragonfire heats up the creature and the creature's heat then proceeds to melt the metal.

Eh, it worked fine for me. Did you actually try it, or are you just assuming it won't work?

After 12 hours of constant dragonfire from 20+ dragons in the arena my target's adamantine armor is still intact. Now perhaps with more dragons or a longer test the target might eventually reach a temperature sufficient to melt adamantine, but the dfhack probe tool shows that the target's tile is actually *below* the temperature of most tiles in the arena so I'm rather skeptical.

There is now a bug report for this.

Thank you for reporting this bug. It may be worth noting that water also appears oddly unaffected by dragonfire.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 04:01:40 pm »

Your "non-flammable target" method doesn't exactly work either, since it will still be able to melt metal items because what's happening is that the dragonfire heats up the creature and the creature's heat then proceeds to melt the metal.

Eh, it worked fine for me. Did you actually try it, or are you just assuming it won't work?

After 12 hours of constant dragonfire from 20+ dragons in the arena my target's adamantine armor is still intact. Now perhaps with more dragons or a longer test the target might eventually reach a temperature sufficient to melt adamantine, but the dfhack probe tool shows that the target's tile is actually *below* the temperature of most tiles in the arena so I'm rather skeptical.

If it IS the "heating via body heat" theory, then make sure that whatever is wearing it doesn't have insulation and homeotherm that's stopping it from getting hot enough!

Ideally, make a creature type with NO homeotherm or tissues that have [INSULATION], and out of tissues that never melt or take heat damage.

Homeotherm + insulation resist change the further you get from homeotherm, such that the creature might be limiting the possible heat transfer rather than the fire or the adamantine, if the "heating via body" hypothesis is correct.

And of course, don't use [FIXED_TEMPERATURE]
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 08:02:39 pm »

Although this is a relatively well known and well documented bug by the community I don't think its ever actually been reported to Toady One? Metals shouldn't be immune to dragon fire.

Pages: 1 [2]