Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Clash of the Casters - Decisions, decisions!  (Read 9410 times)

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clash of the Casters - Decisions, decisions!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 11:41:47 pm »

Updated Front Page.
Lightning Magic : Controlling the flow of lightning would allow for a lot of destruction. That's a no no.

I was more of thinking of just shooting out individual bolts of lightning from my hands rather than calling down thunderstorms from the sky but I'm fine with what you did. Oh yeah, I'll be taking red.

Lytia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 12:03:46 am »

For future references, I'd also like for your opinions on the evolution of magic.

The choices are :
Branch Evolutions - Gives each type of magic more types of evolutions, however, it limits the user to picking one path that gives one specific bonus. For example :
Fire Magic - The ability to manipulate fire
can turn into either
Infernal Magic - The ability to determine the strength of manipulated fire, gives statistical bonuses to damage by fire.
or
Flame Magic - The ability to summon fire from hand, gives statistical bonuses to handling fire.

Single Evolution - Limits the type of magic to one pathway of evolutions, however, it gives less of a bonus to that type. For example :
Fire Magic - The ability to manipulate fire
will only turn into
Blaze Magic - The ability to emit small fireballs from hand, power is determined by amount of mana used. Gives a minor statistical bonus to damage by fire and handling fire.

Here's how I use Statistical bonuses :
(I'll be using Fire Magic as an example)

Minor -
If you get a 1, you wouldn't swallow yourself in flames, but you'd be burned in certain areas.

Moderate (No prefix) -
If you get a 1, you wouldn't swallow yourself in flames, but there'd be fire on certain parts of you, but won't burn you.

Superior -
If you get a 1, you wouldn't swallow yourself in flames, but you'd absorb the flames for power.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 12:07:54 am »

I think Branch evolutions would be neat. Seems like the specialization would lead to more powerful magic than Single Evolution. Also, choices are always fun.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 12:07:59 am »

To be honest, the first option seems much more useful all around.

Edit: I guess kinda what GMA said, although, the question being is each evolution limited to which branch we chose, or are we then allowed to choose between upgrading that branch or gaining a new branch? Would allow versatility, but you would weaker in each area.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:10:04 am by Lyeos »
Take a closer look at this text!

GMArian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 12:08:03 am »

I think we should be able to "evolve" into any branch we want without being limited to only one. For example, the more we use blaze magic-oriented fire magic, the more we learn about it. At the same time, the more we use infernal magic the more we learn about it. If we seem to be using both in combat, then why not evolve both types?

All in all, I'm for branching.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:09:56 am by GMArian »

Lytia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 12:21:58 am »

It's not like I won't ALLOW you all to use your different types of magic. You're still able to summon fire even if you're using Infernal Magic. You just won't be mastered in it to evolve Flame Magic to it's next evolution nor will you get it's bonuses. I'm locking all knowledge of other branches when you choose one branch. It'll allow for you guys to choose one branch and focus on that branches abilities and bonuses. So, say you're in the 5th evolution of Infernal Magic, you'll only be able to see the information about Flame Magic until you find someone with an evolution of Flame Magic. Then, you'll be able to use what the evolution can do. It may seem like a rusty system, but I'll improve it in due time.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 01:25:30 am »

Waitlist.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 06:15:18 am »

I justify it by being around for longer than recorded history. :D

*Views my front page status* Well shit. Time to get creative with my wording.
We'll get you a beard and staff, and you can stand in front of your boundaries shouting "You shall not pass!"

Be warned, Dermonster, it comes with a price. Being of an old age disables you from using high-tier magic unless you're willing to sacrifice your last bit of energy, your life.

Wait, what? How does being vastly more experienced in magic disallow me from casting the best stuff?

Oh.

You never actually explained what 'energy' was. What is that?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:17:31 am by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

blazing glory

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 06:20:19 am »

We'll get you a beard and staff, and you can stand in front of your boundaries shouting "You shall not pass!"

Be warned, Dermonster, it comes with a price. Being of an old age disables you from using high-tier magic unless you're willing to sacrifice your last bit of energy, your life.

Wait, what? How does being vastly more experienced in magic disallow me from casting the best stuff?

Oh.

It's probably your "will" or a portion of your soul/mind,though said lost portion grows back.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 06:25:51 am »

I do not deal in probablies.

Though you'd think with literally ten thousand years to practice I'd get every things energy cost so streamlined, even with a crippled pool I'd be able to do some serious casting.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 07:52:28 am »

It should be possible to level up in multiple branches. Create less powerful but more versitile characters. In general, leveling up should always give the player a meaningful choice.

I'm fine with my echolocation magic, as long as I can upgrade it to actually controling sound later.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 09:45:44 am »

Waitlist.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:50:11 am by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Lytia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 11:27:23 am »

Oh.

Basically what blazing glory said. You'll be able to cast "the best stuff", but it might be costly. Of course, you'll have better results when getting a bad roll when it comes to casting, but when consuming mana and/or using energy, bad rolls might result in you using up all your mana to cast one spell or using all your energy by walking a few feet.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:11:13 pm by Lytia »

Lytia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 02:37:44 pm »

I just finished the turn...but then my browser closed, somehow. I really don't want to re-write it because I liked what I wrote, so I'll just summarize it. This will be the only time this happens, sorry.

Mark wakes up in a mansion. Marbled walls with paintings on each side. Looking out the window.
Crimson wakes up in an office. Waxed-wooden floor. Looking out the window.
Starn wakes up in a house with no kitchen or bedroom. Shared with Arian, currently facing Arian.
Divi dei wakes up in a house, walks down to the kitchen and looks out the window.
Jason wakes up to inside an apartment. Currently looking out the window.
Arian wakes up in a house with no kitchen or bedroom. Shared with Starn, currently facing Starn.
Lillian wakes up in an apartment. Currently looking out the window.

To those who woke up in a mansion, you notice the following :
  • To the left, there's a desert.
  • To the right, there are houses that are connected to a large building.
  • In front of you, is a large apartment building.
  • At the bottom of the mansion are streets connected to the buildings that run towards the desert and stop when the buildings stop.
  • The town is shaped like a sideways C.

To those who woke up in a shared house/regular house, you notice the following :
  • To the left, is a mansion and a desert.
  • To the right, is a large building.
  • In front of you, is a large apartment building.
  • At the bottom are streets connected to the buildings, heading towards the desert and stop when the buildings stop.
  • The town is shaped like a sideways C.

To those who woke up in an apartment, you notice the following :
  • In front of you, are houses with a mansion towards the right of the houses.
  • To the right, is the desert.
  • To the left, is a large building.
  • At the bottom, are streets that are attached to the buildings and head towards the desert but stop when the buildings stop.
  • The town is shaped like a C.

To those who woke up in a large building, you notice the following :
  • You have the better view of the town.
  • To the left, are houses with a mansion at the end.
  • To the right, are apartments.
  • At the bottom, are streets connected to the buildings that head towards the desert and stop when the buildings stop.
  • In front of you, is the desert.
  • The town is shaped like a U.

You may begin posting your actions.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 02:40:56 pm »

Search the apartment for anything useful, ie. storage devices, bandages, potential weapons.

Spoiler: Sad Face (click to show/hide)
Take a closer look at this text!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10