Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with brewing  (Read 937 times)

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Need help with brewing
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:55:38 pm »

I created a new fortress, i'm kinda new to this game, like some weeks. I managed to get metal bars (Silver, Iron and Lead) and to make a functional plump helmet farm. After that, i saw that my fortress was really getting low on drinks. I built a still, a farmer workshop and for some reason i don't remember, a quern. I tried to brew drinks at the still, but it said "Needs distillable item" and tried to process plants (To barrel) at the farmer workshop, but it said "Needs unrotten processable plants". I found that weird, because i have like 50 plump helmets, and i know they can be turned on booze. My dwarfs are now thirsty, but they didn't die...yet.

lysaght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with brewing
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:05:58 pm »

Check that Depot Access again. You need 3 tiles wide for the caravans

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:07:42 pm »

Check your stocks screen (z), go to the kitchen tab
You probably set plump helmets to unbrewable

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:16:16 pm »

Brewing is not done at the farmers workshop, it is done at the still (b-w-l), process plants to barrel at the farmers workshop is for turning sweet pods into dwarven syrup.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:23:11 pm by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 09:42:38 pm »

I think you've basically got it.  As mentioned above, some plants like sweet pods need to be processed before they can be brewed.  And as for the Quern, some need to be milled into flour before they can be cooked.  Plump helmets are not processable, so that message is reasonable.  They ARE brewable though, so you've got a problem somewhere.

If you've got a still and a supply of plump helmets and some empty barrels, you should be good.  Just check your Kitchen menu under the Z - status screen.  Make sure the things you want to brew are enabled for brewing. 

The message you are getting suggests that either what you have that is brewable is not enabled for brewing, and/or what you have enabled for brewing is not available (already eaten, used, rotten, in transit, marked for other jobs, etc)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:49:01 pm »

Go to kitchen screen (Z and then the Kitchen tab) make sure pump helmets are available for brewing and disabled for coocking, while youre at it you shoud disable all drinks from cooking (otherwise the cook will use booze to make food)

If you keep getting a "need distillable item" message consider a larger food stockpile, also your stockpile could be bugged so consider deleting it and making a new one to make sure all food is assigned to it.

A few more suggestions:
*Put all seeds on a diferent stockpile and disable barrels in this "granary" stockpile. The granary should be near your farms.
*Put drinks and prepared meals on a separate stockpile near your dinning hall.(prepared meals do not show as items in the stockpile options, but the are a special option activated/deactivated with U)
*Disable barrels and large pots on your furniture stockpile and put them in your kitchen stockpile, this way the dorfs have to walk less to fill an empty barrel.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 10:56:35 pm »

Yeah right, i got it guys. Thanks for all the help! Just when i unpaused the game and started to make some booze, a dwarven caravan got to my fortress to trade, yaay! Now i got 70 drink, which are enough to my 13 dwarfs population, and again, thank you guys!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 07:17:25 am »

I think you've basically got it.  As mentioned above, some plants like sweet pods need to be processed before they can be brewed.

Actually, no, sweet pods can be brewed directly into dwarven rum.  If you process them, they become sugar, which can then be cooked.

There aren't any plants that must be processed before brewing.  Only processed before cooking.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 07:43:48 am »

One last thing before this thread dies, be sure to have a barrel or pot for EACH of your dwarves.  I recently lost a fortress of 100+ because there weren't enough pots.  Only a dozen or so dwarves were able to drink at a time, leading to death and anger elsewhere.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 06:14:16 pm »

I don't think you need one for each dwarf, but you definitely need at least one per three, if not one per two, dwarves.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"