Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems getting dwarves to dig where designated  (Read 591 times)

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems getting dwarves to dig where designated
« on: June 24, 2014, 02:13:17 pm »

I'm experiencing a problem in my current fort, has happened twice now. I designated an area for them to dig out stairs down(d-j), but up/down stairs below(d-i?), and planned out the rooms I wanted immediately in that vicinity(d-d). But they wouldn't go there. I queued other dig/channel jobs and they'd run off and do those. But they wouldn't dig *there*. No water/damp stone notifications, no job cancellations of any kind. They clearly have the tools and ability to dig.

So eventually I moved my 3x3 stairwell 3 north of there, butting right up against the original designation. They started digging right away no problem. I shifted my layout on the level below to adjust for the new location and everything went just fine. When they dug south there was no problem...

Oh, I think I just answered my own question. You can't d-i/u/j in soil, can you?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems getting dwarves to dig where designated
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:20:59 pm »

You can dig stairs in soil, no problem.  As long as the soil isn't already dug-out.  If the area is devoid of solid matter, then you have to Construct stairs instead of digging them.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:48:59 pm »

well then, that's not the problem. Soil or rock is there. (I can't remember, away from the game atm.)  I'll continue then...

...there was no problem to the south--no empty space, no water, no magma, no damp rock, no aquifer, etc. Just soil/rock.
Now I'm trying to go above my archery range to create a room for stockpiling ammo, and same thing is happening. I first built stairs up in the corner of the room I had already excavated (b-C-u), and then d-j stairs down to meet them and d-dug out the room. Nothing. No work, no announcements. (the stairs got made, but that's it.) I then tried to construct stairs out of the walls, and that's not being done.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:14:48 pm »

Sometimes they just don't dig downstairs on a particular tile. I've seen this situation twice and had to designate another tile nearby.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:18:27 pm »

By any chance do you have your dwarves restricted to one or more Burrows via civilian alert state? And if you do, are your selected tiles within one of those burrows?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 01:19:46 am »

Quietest, this may be off topic, but I have come to believe that you are, in fact, literally Q.

Back onto topic. I had this issue yesterday for the first time in my Dwarf Fortress years. I had to re-designate the tile. It's like it was canceled with no cancellation report. That rings a bell, actually. I started trying out masterwork for the first time last week. Are you running masterwork by chance?

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:56:07 am »

Does that mean that when Q first decided to judge humanity at farpoint, most of his experience had been with DF players?