Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Online MMORPGs for me and a friend?  (Read 2396 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Online MMORPGs for me and a friend?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 09:53:22 pm »

If you want something... different, download BYOND and look for Eternia: Roleplay.
It's a pretty interesting MMO, in which you can get more powerful through actually roleplaying with other people, rather than just gathering 40 wolf assholes.
The only issue with the game is that it's only as fun as you make it. The gameplay is OKAY, but the game is primarily a storytelling platform, rather than a typical RPG.
So yeah, if you and your friend are into RP, ERP, ORP, GRP, SRP, PRP, or TRP, go ahead and give this one a try.
I also made the last 6 of those acronyms up.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 07:30:42 pm »

You could also try a free UO server, those are a lot better than current UO (current UO is full of ugly neon colors)...but the free servers can be really epic, and make the game even bigger than original was.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:44:02 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 11:47:53 pm »

Rift is indeed free to play. If you like WoW, you might like Rift as well, but note- it does everything adequately. The game is adequate. There are no defining features except maybe that you can play most roles on any one class. The world is uninspiring, the story is not gripping, it's a theme-park MMO in every right. Nothing feels poor or shoddy, but nothing stands out.

It's wholly and entirely generic, but maybe that's all you need if you're looking for some bland, nourishing porrige of a multiplayer experience.

^This

Rift is basically what happens when a bunch of suits say "make something as close as possible to WoW without us getting sued".

Amusingly enough, the actual rifts that the game is based off, and which are the core of what plot the game has, are almost meaningless gameplay-wise. You will easily out-level a zone before you collect enough tokens from them to actually get any items (especially since all leveling zones are basically dead at this point), and endgame revolves around wow-style raids. Such a lost opportunity, really.

It's still decent though, if you like(ed) WoW you should at least give it a try.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 12:28:48 am »

I found Rift was...so boring.

Everything was...bland...

Rifts? Those are good...way better than GW2 lame ass dynamic system that people could put on timers. That was so stupid and nothing as they advertised. But one (well) two features does not make a game (for me). Rift events probably are timed, but at least they feel more random and so much more fun...GW2 events were boring as hell. And as soon as people started putting everything on timers *quit*.

Rift does Rifts great...the most bland world ever, with bland looking characters...but actually...class customization was cool. Thats a bonus for that. But overhaul, so boring...and not a longterm MMO at all.

There is however another solution that should be a definite win.

Play SWGEmu :D its pretty developed now...and you can play oldschool SWG :D...I haven't checked on it in a while. But, when I looked last year, it had progressed a lot and pretty fast.

The only sandbox MMO that isn't a lame deathmatch PvP clone. That and Ryzom, but Ryzom is not supported anymore (one update a year if lucky isn't really support).
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 12:37:33 am »

Neverwinter is free-to-play too, but is basically a sequence of zones containing quests of a similar level which are all "fetch x of y," "kill x of y," "kill x of y and retrieve a of b from their corpses," "travel to x and talk to (or kill) y," "proceed through dungeon killing things until you kill the final boss," along with pvp and pve skirmishes, etc, until you reach level 60, but I haven't done any of the level 60 expansion content so I don't know what that's all like.

Its one real redeeming factor is the Foundry, which is player-made campaigns and scenarios (and anyone can make them, but they're rated by folks who play them). Quality on these can be better than the standard quests.

Star Trek Online is by the same company, but the missions aren't so formulaic. It's actually a lot more interesting/fun, at least until you reach the "season" which just shows you around a sphere which contains missions you can do over and over forever (I really didn't see the point. Oh noes someone is "invading," forever, but not really, because they can't make any progress, and it's only a game anyways, and it's just a trick to make you spend all your time playing their game and hopefully spending some money on it).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:39:56 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 12:52:52 am »

No one even mentioned The Old Republic which is as free as these "Free-to-Play but we hope you pay" games get? It's pretty decent, for an MMO, too. Alternately, I thought the Secret World was fun too, especially if you do the investigation missions together when you do them for the first time. I had hours of fun trying to figure out some of those puzzles with a couple of friends.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 01:04:09 am »

Neverwinter is free-to-play too, but is basically a sequence of zones containing quests of a similar level which are all "fetch x of y," "kill x of y," "kill x of y and retrieve a of b from their corpses," "travel to x and talk to (or kill) y," "proceed through dungeon killing things until you kill the final boss," along with pvp and pve skirmishes, etc, until you reach level 60, but I haven't done any of the level 60 expansion content so I don't know what that's all like.

Its one real redeeming factor is the Foundry, which is player-made campaigns and scenarios (and anyone can make them, but they're rated by folks who play them). Quality on these can be better than the standard quests.

Star Trek Online is by the same company, but the missions aren't so formulaic. It's actually a lot more interesting/fun, at least until you reach the "season" which just shows you around a sphere which contains missions you can do over and over forever (I really didn't see the point. Oh noes someone is "invading," forever, but not really, because they can't make any progress, and it's only a game anyways, and it's just a trick to make you spend all your time playing their game and hopefully spending some money on it).

Neverwinter (and STO) is also a perfect world MMO.

If you've never played a perfect world MMO... that means they charge for everything and the costs are insane (it's like $7 or something for a single bag). Tradeskills exist only to get people to buy cash shop tradeskill stuff, etc.  You can technically get anything in the game via grinding astral diamonds but the grind is really crazy.

There were also some serious balance issues when I played (the tank class was totally worthless and unneeded for any content, GWF/and *control* wizard were superior DPS to the other DPS classes by quite a large degree) but those might have been fixed by now.

No one even mentioned The Old Republic which is as free as these "Free-to-Play but we hope you pay" games get? It's pretty decent, for an MMO, too. Alternately, I thought the Secret World was fun too, especially if you do the investigation missions together when you do them for the first time. I had hours of fun trying to figure out some of those puzzles with a couple of friends.

Someone mentioned secret world earlier in the thread. Excellent setting (though egypt really feels like a generic fantasy MMO) and interesting backstory/lore but boring combat (it's the worst of old-school 1 1 1 2 button mashing) and no real feeling of progression due to the way "leveling" works - if you know what you're doing you can have a 95% complete build (including max level blue gear bought cheap from the AH) around the time you're finishing the first (of 3, now 4 with tokyo) areas.

So you either skip through 2/3rds of the content and go right to endgame raiding, or you slog through the combat for the story making absolutely no character progression because nothing is an upgrade and you're only unlocking skills you won't really use.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:16:05 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 01:10:33 am »

DC Universe Online is a fun superhero MMORPG.
Pages: 1 [2]