Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal training!  (Read 769 times)

Buel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal training!
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:07:40 pm »

I've consulted the wiki a little and I still have a question to make sure. I've captured a wild polar bear on my glacier and we made it semi trained. How do I continue to train the beast to domestication?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal training!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:23:07 pm »

You can't. But if you have a breeding pair of trained polar bears, their children can be domesticated.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 01:24:27 pm »

It's unlikely you can take a wild-caught beast all the way to Domesticated.  Usually it will max out at +Trained+ or so, but its offspring could become fully Domesticated (if you manage to acquire a breeding pair).

Once you get it to Semi-wild or better, you should let it out of its cage, by pasturing it.  The training will continue intermittently, to keep it from reverting to Wild, and to gradually improve its training state.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 03:04:13 pm »

You can continue training the bear until it dies of old age, but it will never be domesticated. Training has quality levels, up to masterful, like shop-made objects. You'll get better training results by pasturing it rather than cage training. You should wait until it's better that semi-wild, though. A polar bear going wild in your fort could be disastrous. Of note, if you train it and it goes wild outside of a cage, you'll never be able to train it again. When it becomes trained it picks up the trap avoid token, which doesn't go away if it reverts to a wild state, thus leaving it untrainable (even if it's chained!). Conversely, if it's a female it can only become impregnated outside of a cage, so that's a risk you'll have to take if you want cubs to domesticate. Luckily, animal training seems to be a pretty high priority job, so you probably won't have to worry about it going wild if you have a couple of animal trainers.

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 04:33:18 pm »

Trap avoid prevents training on its own? If the only issue is re caging it you could always Web a cage trap.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 04:56:33 pm »

Trap avoid prevents training on its own? If the only issue is re caging it you could always Web a cage trap.

You're right, the only issue is getting it back in a cage. A webbed trap would work, or a cave-in stun onto a cage trap. The latter might be more practical if you're already having trouble managing your wildlife. In any case, I suppose "never be able to train it again" was a poor choice of words on my part. I should have said "have to resort to extraordinary measures to train it again."

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:24:52 pm »

Generally it's best, except for training purposes, to butcher the beasts after you get a healthy stockpile of cubs that you've domesticated.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 07:22:32 am »

On a related and slightly urgent note, since this thread is already here, what happens when you train animals captured from sieges (i.e. mounts)? Will they remain hostile, or is that only if they've actually killed a dwarf? Please respond quickly, I've just been gifted a couple of "tamed" voracious cave crawlers from the recent goblin siege in Harvestcoast and I'd rather not have my guard animals eat my dwarf alive if at all possible.
くコ:彡

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:02:37 am »

They'll remain hostile towards your dwarfs, ergo kill them on sight even if you try taming them.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 09:09:01 am »

They'll remain hostile towards your dwarfs, ergo kill them on sight even if you try taming them.
Even if chained?
くコ:彡

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 05:22:18 am »

Even if chained?

Well, they're still hostile, they just can't do anything about it. They will attack non-fort friendlies, though (merchants, diplomats, etc.). If you keep 'em on a chain in an animal training zone deep in your fortress, they should be quite safe.