Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1250299 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 189 Fresh meat and Fresh mist
« Reply #6180 on: September 25, 2016, 12:19:44 pm »

((OK, got to do that deal with Ilium ASAP now. Because ATHATH. PMing Atomic Chicken and Beirus the details before we start, just so we can work any kinks out beforehand.))

((By the by, anyone who tries to kill ATHATH before the ritual completes gets a session with my yes/no and solid knowledge books. And he's basically trying to turn spawn into an inferno, so yeah.))
Shouldn't you be safe in the spawn hex and the tower, due to the antimagic wards of the former and the temperature regulation of the latter?

((Yes. But I don't really want any hex around here turned into solid star, and god only knows what you try after that.))
Eh, I'll probably stop at around twice the boiling point of water.

Also, I added an opposing offer to my previous post that you may not have seen.

((Even so.

As for the counter-offer, do you really expect people to believe that you'll follow through on that? Summoning an Efreet is not a piece of cake, and knowing you, I think you'd rather take a shorter path to power. They'd sooner get boiled for shards.

Beyond that, D&D is not law here, as you saw with the Uberdragon's inability to cast wish, and there's no telling how something that powerful could be nerfed.))
First, I still don't lie in this thread while I have an active character. Second, even if I can't summon an Efreet, I can still grant burning desires and so on. Third, yes, DG will probably nerf wishes, but he'll probably do it through the classic "exact words" and "be careful what you wish for" approaches, which can probably be worked around.

Worse case scenario, I'll give out earth and air elemental manservants as alternatives to wishes (if my clients so choose).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: September 25, 2016, 12:35:09 pm »

First, I still don't lie in this thread while I have an active character. Second, even if I can't summon an Efreet, I can still grant burning desires and so on. Third, yes, DG will probably nerf wishes, but he'll probably do it through the classic "exact words" and "be careful what you wish for" approaches, which can probably be worked around.

Worse case scenario, I'll give out earth and air elemental manservants as alternatives to wishes (if my clients so choose).

((You could be lying about lying, technically, but I'll leave it there. Little more to say on the matter.

As for burning desires- Now, I don't know your exact affinity, but do you remember what happened with music? And Skeliborn's rollerblades? Magic doesn't work that way.

Getting a truly magical wish is incredibly unlikely. See: Cuberac's blood elemental. I can definitely see DG doing something like that again, but the sort of nerfing you're expecting (IE technicalities) just doesn't seem like the sort of thing he'd allow. Too easy to work around, as you said.

Now, the elementals could work. But they'd become a huge vulnerability the moment you decide that you want some more shards, and not knowing your affinity, we have no idea whether you're correct about being able to summon them.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: September 25, 2016, 12:48:03 pm »

((You could be lying about lying, technically, but I'll leave it there. Little more to say on the matter.

As for burning desires- Now, I don't know your exact affinity, but do you remember what happened with music? And Skeliborn's rollerblades? Magic doesn't work that way.

Getting a truly magical wish is incredibly unlikely. See: Cuberac's blood elemental. I can definitely see DG doing something like that again, but the sort of nerfing you're expecting (IE technicalities) just doesn't seem like the sort of thing he'd allow. Too easy to work around, as you said.

Now, the elementals could work. But they'd become a huge vulnerability the moment you decide that you want some more shards, and not knowing your affinity, we have no idea whether you're correct about being able to summon them.))
If my affinity isn't close enough to grant me wishes, I'll just use my first efreeti-based wish to wish for the Orb of Many Paths.

In any case, my offer still stands. Whether mages choose it over yours remains to be seen...

By the way, mages who defend me while I'm casting the ritual will be allowed to have all of the shards of the mages that they kill, and those who gang up on me will likely get 1-2 shards each. Just throwing that out there.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:51:11 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: September 25, 2016, 01:14:53 pm »

((Totally silly and probably stupid affinity idea incoming.))
Spoiler: Silly affinity (click to show/hide)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: September 25, 2016, 01:22:03 pm »

Ok, a few things about this whole planning going on.

Unless "Burning desire" translates to "I want to be set on fire", fire affinity does not allow granting wishes.

Also, basic Efreeti I use come from HoMM, and do not grant wishes. Some more powerful ones might, but it is a real challenge to get to summon those.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: September 25, 2016, 01:23:11 pm »

If my affinity isn't close enough to grant me wishes, I'll just use my first efreeti-based wish to wish for the Orb of Many Paths.

In any case, my offer still stands. Whether mages choose it over yours remains to be seen...

By the way, mages who defend me while I'm casting the ritual will be allowed to have all of the shards of the mages that they kill. Just throwing that out there.

((ATHATH, be serious. 'Fire' isn't even remotely related to wishes. A 'burning desire' is nothing but a figure of speech in the English language where 'burning' denotes intensity; as you well know, it has absolutely nothing to do with combustion. Even if we were to imagine that one's desires could actually burn, I'd presume that a fire mage would, at most, be able to 'set them alight', not grant them.

Efreeti summoning might be possible, but it'd probably be nerfed by either making the creature incapable of granting wishes, or by having the spell require tons of power. As Whisperling said, you really should stop copy-pasting creatures and spells from D&D and expecting them to work in a game with entirely different base mechanics.

That being said, there's a ton of fun stuff to be done with the fire affinity that doesn't require breaching controversial waters. This terraforming business and fire-portal exploitation are good examples.

Oh, one other thing for everyone to keep in mind. Remember, ATHATH's character has just spawned and hasn't even begun casting yet. At this point, his presence should be known to only the mages right near him at the spawn hex. The hiring of mercenaries in the forum thread is impossible to translate neatly into the game without actual character interaction. Try not to act too meta. Whisperling's character, being an oracle figure, can be excused somewhat, but try not to push it too much.))

Edit: Ninja'd by DG.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:14:45 pm by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: September 25, 2016, 01:41:33 pm »

Summon big propellor blades
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: September 25, 2016, 01:48:49 pm »

Aw. I guess I'll replace the free wishes with elemental slaves, then.

Does "burning hate" work, though? What about passionate emotions in general, since they are often metaphorically connected to fire?

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: September 25, 2016, 02:01:43 pm »

Aw. I guess I'll replace the free wishes with elemental slaves, then.

Does "burning hate" work, though? What about passionate emotions in general, since they are often metaphorically connected to fire?

((...ATHATH, that's basically the same thing except with less power. Which is to say figure of speech =/= usable spell.))

Try not to act too meta. Whisperling's character, being an oracle figure, can be excused somewhat, but try not to push it too much.))

((Indeed. I really shouldn't be doing it this much as-is, but... measures must be taken. Just pretend the offer suddenly pops into everyone's minds, I guess.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: September 25, 2016, 02:32:29 pm »

((Does Seva in phoenix mode have a physical form, or is he just a mass of flame?))

He does have a physical form that is a mass of flame. To be less useless in answering, he can interact with and be harmed by physical, but in reduced capacity. His claws and beak are mostly entirely solid.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: September 25, 2016, 04:09:47 pm »

((ooh hay, inverse pie))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: September 25, 2016, 04:24:31 pm »

((ooh hay, inverse pie))
???

On a side note, is anyone interested in making a TV Tropes page for Roll to Magic? I think it's gotten big enough to deserve one, but I'm too lazy to make it.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: September 25, 2016, 04:25:05 pm »

Sorry gents, It seems that I have been trapped by the alure of the internet again. Update will go out tomorrow.

Why did new Emperor text to speech episode, had to go out the day I found a great quest?

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: September 25, 2016, 04:29:55 pm »

((Its chill with me- the wonders of the internet are numerous and exciting in equal measure  ;).))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: September 25, 2016, 04:50:43 pm »

((ooh hay, inverse pie))
???

On a side note, is anyone interested in making a TV Tropes page for Roll to Magic? I think it's gotten big enough to deserve one, but I'm too lazy to make it.
Considering I have motivation, but practically no time and long-term planning? Sorry, nope.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 506