Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1246571 times)

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 134 Plots and Conflicts
« Reply #4095 on: December 14, 2015, 01:16:31 am »

((I've thought things over, and I feel like fighting should be more about quick actions and spellcasting, rather than "kabam I kill you" spells all over.

Combat penalties would help, but if the opponent is unable to stop your amazing buffed spell, he's doomed. Imagine getting laser blasted from across a hex or two, and a homing modifier. No chance. Laser. FAL (fast as light). Even worse, the mage who did that to you simply blasted it out of nowhere with a 100% success rate cause he dumped a lot of essences in, as if there was no nerf at all.

Essence caps could fix that last part, though it would prevent anyone from attempting any particularly powerful spells on their own; alliances would become much more important, and then we get locked in a Cold War-type scenario. Doesn't sound like much fun.

Finally, there's the ritual magic thing. I imagine the old essences could be ejected into the world as usable trinkets for the rituals (so they don't just poof into nothing). Any cross-the-map instakill spells would require both time and resources, giving any potential targets time to prepare and increase chances of survival - or to attempt to mess up the ritual. In fights, the mages would be left with smaller spells and their items, leading to more strategy- and luck-driven battles.

My final vote is for rituals.

(And by the way, has anyone heard of Avatar: The Last Airbender TV series? You basically HAD to be good at fighting to do any good fire/earthbending.)))
((For light-speed projectiles(or just really fast), add a DEX roll only on the attacker's side(or any other kind of roll that affects one's perception). That simulates if the attacker doesn't turn their face(or eyes) fast enough to see their target, the target sees through the attack and dodge it before the light-speed projectile fired.
As for the ritual, you just need to place yourself a unknown thing that lasts for several turns(2?) and then BAM, someone's dead without them knowing what happened.))
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: December 14, 2015, 02:14:05 am »

((Poketwo got banned, which is unfortunate because he just woke up for his fight against Kahel and I wanted to see how that went.))
((Welp. So much for an epic duel between cruel mage-hunter and eversleeping chaos sorcerer...))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: December 14, 2015, 05:51:27 am »

((Poketwo got banned, which is unfortunate because he just woke up for his fight against Kahel and I wanted to see how that went.))
((Welp. So much for an epic duel between cruel mage-hunter and eversleeping chaos sorcerer...))
((Also we may never see how he had planned to win the game))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: December 14, 2015, 09:51:46 am »

((I wantssss the font of magicssss in your foresssst ssssoooo badly....))
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: December 14, 2015, 10:13:01 am »

As for the ritual, you just need to place yourself a unknown thing that lasts for several turns(2?) and then BAM, someone's dead without them knowing what happened.))
((Thing is, you'd be spending multiple turns—more than 2, I'd imagine, assuming you want to hit someone from multiple tiles away—on a spell not even guaranteed to work; what if the target moves, or happens to go under cover? Personally, I'd be disinclined to burn several turns in hopes of maybe blasting a specific player.))

((Notably, more time spent on a stronger spell also means a higher chance of the target moving—that seems like a good balancer.))
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:16:12 am by Elephant Parade »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: December 14, 2015, 10:16:13 am »

((lets start smaller, lets conquer that forest first. we can enslave the ents))

((Another name onto the list. I should write those names down somewhere before I forget them

((BRING IT NATURE BOY!))
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: December 14, 2015, 10:54:02 am »

((Thing is, you'd be spending multiple turns—more than 2, I'd imagine, assuming you want to hit someone from multiple tiles away—on a spell not even guaranteed to work; what if the target moves, or happens to go under cover? Personally, I'd be disinclined to burn several turns in hopes of maybe blasting a specific player.))

((Notably, more time spent on a stronger spell also means a higher chance of the target moving—that seems like a good balancer.))
((Step 1: Go on a ritual for a touch-based instakill(pm it)
Step 2: Make the ritual go endless until someone disturbs
Step 3: Let the disturber touch you/touch them
You know what happens next.))
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: December 14, 2015, 11:05:36 am »

((Step 1: Go on a ritual for a touch-based instakill(pm it)
Step 2: Make the ritual go endless until someone disturbs
Step 3: Let the disturber touch you/touch them
You know what happens next.))
((Isn't this also possible with essences, though? You could enchant your hand with death, or something. Also, if someone disturbed your ritual with a ranged attack, you'd have wasted a bunch of turns.))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: December 14, 2015, 12:44:32 pm »

((What if we make rituals similar to channeled casting and make the essences into foci for the rituals. You could add up to a certain limit each turn to add to the CMP/POT of the ritual spell, along with other miscellaneous items that would add additional effects to the ritual or change the resulting spell in some way.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: December 14, 2015, 01:42:31 pm »

See, the problem with the ritual system is that it encourages killing people from across the map, instead of in glorious combat.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: December 14, 2015, 01:54:52 pm »

See, the problem with the ritual system is that it encourages killing people from across the map, instead of in glorious combat.
((And current system doesn't?))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: December 14, 2015, 02:24:20 pm »

((There hasn't been a single not face-to-face murder yet. It is ratherr surprising.))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: December 14, 2015, 02:42:59 pm »

Forgotten blaze and accelerator already?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: December 14, 2015, 03:19:52 pm »

((There hasn't been a single not face-to-face murder yet. It is ratherr surprising.))
((Not every mage would follow an unspoken duel codex. There are some that would rather exploit presumed concepts for their own gains. First examples, such as Dwen and Marcus, already tried - and barely failed.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: December 14, 2015, 04:35:45 pm »

What I meant was that the Ritual system wouldn't fix that.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 506