Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1246577 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 134 Plots and Conflicts
« Reply #4065 on: December 12, 2015, 05:59:50 pm »

((A +2+2 distraction could potentially make your opponent fumble a much larger spell. Once you're guaranteed the time to work, it's all about tactics and creativity- essentially, the art of stopping your opponent with as little power as possible.))
((But what if you don't have enough essences for even a +2/+2 spell? What if you were just in a fight, or you recently joined, or you just cast a huge spell? What if the other person struck from surprise? What's to stop me from instantly unleashing a +10/+10 curse on someone from across the map? Alternatively, I could feign diplomacy with someone, only to drop a +10/+10 deathspell on them from nowhere; speed penalties are meaningless if only one person is attacking. A conditional action might be able to take care of the second one, but adding "attack them if they attack me" to every action would get old fast.

I don't think you should be able to wield high-power, high-accuracy magic on a turn's notice, even if you go last within that turn.))

((If you use a +7/+7 doom spell in combat, you're basically going last. All it takes is one "ranged(-1) shatter(0 or -1) skull(-1)" to put an end to that doom spell. So yeah, what Whisperling said.))
((Or better yet, summon a sword ahead of time and stab stab.))
((One bad roll—out of two—will allow them to survive, though, and then you're dead for sure. The sword is similar: even if your affinity allows you to make decent gear, you're dead if you fail your attack roll.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: December 12, 2015, 06:10:13 pm »

Ah, but the SPD penalties encourage making alliances- if you try to kill one guy with a +10/+10 doomspell, his buddy kills you next turn (you just used all of your essences).

It might be interesting if the penalties persisted for a few turns (depending on severity), or if you lost spellcasting from that affinity for a few turns (essences used/4, perhaps?), so that the allies of whoever you killed could find you and kill you much easier.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: December 12, 2015, 06:33:53 pm »

But what if you don't have enough essences for even a +2/+2 spell?

((Well then, you should probably try breaking your opponent's nose and stuffing a gag into their mouth. The existence of spells doesn't prevent your from making full use of your fists.

In any case, a temporary lack of magical power is a perfectly reasonable trade-off for fighting or casting a large spell. It's basically what happens in real life, albeit with exhaustion of a more physical kind.))

((As for new players...

I know the first incarnation of gloomy had a pretty bad experience, but in all honesty, he had some terrible luck to match. Literally every moderately-established player in the game has gotten past that initial stage of weakness. That's ~18 now, plus many others who have died over the course of 134 turns.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: December 12, 2015, 06:46:09 pm »

I just want a system based on creativity rather than pure number management. And I want a simple elegant system rather than an increasing amount of rules patched onto a broken system.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: December 12, 2015, 07:23:10 pm »

I just want a system based on creativity rather than pure number management. And I want a simple elegant system rather than an increasing amount of rules patched onto a broken system.
This. I'd move my vote (number restriction) to the ritual system if possible. Althogh essences seem vital, it is possible to discard them...
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: December 12, 2015, 08:03:17 pm »

((Well then, you should probably try breaking your opponent's nose and stuffing a gag into their mouth. The existence of spells doesn't prevent your from making full use of your fists.))
((Try combining that with force-type spells, and now you could kill someone with only +2/+2 or less(well, actually because it has more roll, so it becomes pot+str/cmp+dex roll instead)))
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: December 12, 2015, 09:05:36 pm »

This. I'd move my vote (number restriction) to the ritual system if possible. Althogh essences seem vital, it is possible to discard them...

I think suggested an idea in the initial nerf round of having a duel system, 1being essence based for quick spells, and the other being ritual magic, a slower yet more powerful magic that takes time and preparation. So I will ask again now, is it necessary to debuff essence (quick spell) based magic and replace it when we could create other magical options.

Even if essences as we know it are removed I for one will continue to use them. (Albeit I may need to enchant an object to break any new essence rules)

Here is an example of how ritual and essence magics could blend. You draw a summoning circle. You place objects that will be sacrificed within the ritual in the correct location, then you use essences to power up the ritual. (The original creation of vortex bane is a proto-type example of this)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:10:50 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: December 12, 2015, 09:18:47 pm »

((Well then, you should probably try breaking your opponent's nose and stuffing a gag into their mouth. The existence of spells doesn't prevent your from making full use of your fists.))
((Try combining that with force-type spells, and now you could kill someone with only +2/+2 or less(well, actually because it has more roll, so it becomes pot+str/cmp+dex roll instead)))
((That doesn't change the fact that—if you flub *one* roll, and it's a roll you likely have penalties on—your opponent has a 100% chance to kill you. One-turn kills should require creativity and preparation, and no, essences don't count as preparation.))

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: December 12, 2015, 09:33:01 pm »

((That doesn't change the fact that—if you flub *one* roll, and it's a roll you likely have penalties on—your opponent has a 100% chance to kill you. One-turn kills should require creativity and preparati
on, and no, essences don't count as preparation.))
((Remember 'or less'? You could essentially insta-incapicate someone without using any essences at all.))
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: December 12, 2015, 09:35:45 pm »

I have thought it over some more and I hereby change my vote to ritual magic
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: December 12, 2015, 09:44:37 pm »

Keep in mind that one of the things I like about Roll to Magic is that combat is short and exciting, and doesn't drag on and on like the combat of other RTD's. Sure, it may take a while for a combat to happen, but that's part of why I joined F.E.C.E.S.- they help shake things up and make people spend essences before they can reach uber-do-everything levels of power.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: December 12, 2015, 10:02:22 pm »

((That doesn't change the fact that—if you flub *one* roll, and it's a roll you likely have penalties on—your opponent has a 100% chance to kill you. One-turn kills should require creativity and preparati
on, and no, essences don't count as preparation.))
((Remember 'or less'? You could essentially insta-incapicate someone without using any essences at all.))
((I'm aware. My point was that if you fail to interrupt them—which is extremely likely, if you just joined haven't pumped up STR—the other person can definitely kill you.))

Out of curiosity: DG, could you run the numbers on incapacitating/interrupting someone with an unarmed blow? Or, if that takes too much time, I'd like to know the minimum rolls required to interrupt someone with a punch.))
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:04:15 pm by Elephant Parade »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: December 12, 2015, 10:13:23 pm »

I'm guessing about 25% incapacitation. 50% chance to hit them, and 50% chance to stun or incapacitate if it hits. Of course it would also depend on stats and weapons/armour.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: December 12, 2015, 10:27:51 pm »

I'm guessing about 25% incapacitation. 50% chance to hit them, and 50% chance to stun or incapacitate if it hits. Of course it would also depend on stats and weapons/armour.
((The hit chance would be 100% if they're casting a deathspell, thanks to the absurd DEX penalty. Still, that's a 50/50 chance of dying in one turn.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: December 13, 2015, 06:24:54 am »

With no +/- on either side, stunning someone is 5/36 chance with unarmed blow.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 506