Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1251920 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 121 Gathering and explorations
« Reply #3135 on: October 12, 2015, 02:50:06 am »

Shias the Druid
"Well then. Council chamber has been created. What is be the matter this council will discuss about?"

Placeholder action: Make 5 essences.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:33:19 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: October 12, 2015, 03:05:01 am »

"I think it would be the present and the future... As well as giving the potential deathmatch we all came along for a much less violent vibe."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:06:42 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: October 12, 2015, 03:31:04 am »

"Seems i need to add another chair, just in case, but i still need to prepare something other."

4 Electric Essences.
((You forgot my turn.))

4 Electric Essences. Again.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:39:20 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: October 12, 2015, 08:33:00 am »

Try to enhance my force shield with animate (-2). One force essence after.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 121 Trollnaping and real estate
« Reply #3139 on: October 12, 2015, 08:52:09 am »

((Considering this game's slow update time, I've decided to try to play it again, despite my life's circumstances. Posting enough to play this game shouldn't be too hard.))
((Good to see you again!))
((Thank you.))

Old King Coal stopped to catch his breath.

"What is this place? It's as though someone spliced several bubble universes together!"

Old King Coal sighed as he realized that he was extremely lacking in essences.

"It's been so long since I've had to cast under pressure..."

Old King Coal takes a cursory look around and makes 3 Bone essences.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: October 12, 2015, 02:52:07 pm »

You forgot my ring of +1 luck. The bush trimmer should be a chainsaw.

((You are doing too well anyways. But fix'd))

"Seems i need to add another chair, just in case, but i still need to prepare something other."

4 Electric Essences.
((You forgot my turn.))

4 Electric Essences. Again.

((Sorry about that. Added))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: October 12, 2015, 02:52:36 pm »

Mmmm.
3 more essences, I guess.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: October 12, 2015, 03:16:02 pm »

"Hey, you seem to have forgotten your...oh, he's gone. No matter, this may prove useful."

Pocket Xom's paradoxically ten-cornered cube and set off in search of the fortress library.
PM sent.
Create 4 essences.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: October 12, 2015, 03:31:51 pm »

"So are we starting this council or what?"

Make my way to my oak chair, and then craft 4 essences
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Trewque

• Bay Watcher
  • Revan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: October 12, 2015, 06:07:20 pm »

"Hmm... Now that I'm here, might as well have a seat."

Summon a chair. Then check whether it's safe to sit in. If it is safe, sit in it and join the council meeting.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: October 12, 2015, 10:53:52 pm »

Guys, I think I found an infinite loop.

Say, through extensive buffs or innately, you have a +7/+7 bonus to comp and pot. You create an essence, which is guaranteed to give at least a +3/+3 bonus. You use that essence to make another essence. The new essence has a bonus of +7+3-1/+7+3-1, making it guaranteed to be at least a +4/+4 essence. You use that essence to make another essence, and the process repeats potentially infinitely, eventually giving you a +nigh-infinity/+nigh-infinity essence. Next turn, you can use this essence to obliterate reality, ascend to godhood, become GM, whatever. The important point of this combo is that anyone with an affinity with access to the ability to cast in conditions that bring their pot and comp modifiers up to +7/+7, even just for one turn, and can remain unmolested for two turns (with one of them being the turn that they create the uber-essence) in a row can pull this combo off.

I propose a single rule to fix this issue with the current system:

An essence may not be used to power a spell in the turn it was created in.

That one rule causes this combo to take a nigh-infinite number of turns to complete and removes other bugs that DG might not be able to catch before they're a problem.

Should we vote to put this new rule into effect?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: October 12, 2015, 11:04:52 pm »

Say, through extensive buffs or innately, you have a +7/+7 bonus to comp and pot. You create an essence, which is guaranteed to give at least a +3/+3 bonus. You use that essence to make another essence. The new essence has a bonus of +7+3-1/+7+3-1, making it guaranteed to be at least a +4/+4 essence. You use that essence to make another essence, and the process repeats potentially infinitely, eventually giving you a +nigh-infinity/+nigh-infinity essence. Next turn, you can use this essence to obliterate reality, ascend to godhood, become GM, whatever. The important point of this combo is that anyone with an affinity with access to the ability to cast in conditions that bring their pot and comp modifiers up to +7/+7, even just for one turn, and can remain unmolested for two turns (with one of them being the turn that they create the uber-essence) in a row can pull this combo off.

That one rule causes this combo to take a nigh-infinite number of turns to complete and removes other bugs that DG might not be able to catch before they're a problem.

I think a much better rule would be that you can't use essences to make essences. I don't even know if that's possible now, though; nobody's had a reason to try. Also, essences do take time to create - albeit small, this time would prevent someone from getting a +10k/+10k essence and breaking the space-time continuum within the space of only two turns, if this combo was possible.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:08:43 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: October 12, 2015, 11:23:41 pm »

Even without any rule changes ATHATH's plan probably wouldn't work. 1/6 of the essences made would be a chaos essences which would cause a luck roll. A bad luck roll would break the chain.

There's also the rule that essences can't entirely save you from a bad roll. A natural 1 will still have some bad effects even if 1000 essences are used.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: October 13, 2015, 12:15:00 am »

((I could have sworn somewhere that DG said you need at least +10/+10 for a +3/+3 essence, and like +15/+15 for a +4/+4, or some sort of exponential growth thing. The other thing is that there is a cumulative -1/-1 malus for each consecutive cast. It would relatively quickly grow larger than any bonus you could hope to sustain from making essences. At worst, people with larger innate bonuses to CMP/POT would just be able to make essences in larger batches.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: October 13, 2015, 12:41:19 am »

I think a much better rule would be that you can't use essences to make essences. I don't even know if that's possible now, though; nobody's had a reason to try. Also, essences do take time to create - albeit small, this time would prevent someone from getting a +10k/+10k essence and breaking the space-time continuum within the space of only two turns, if this combo was possible.
I have already considered the patch you recommended, and still believe mine is better, due to your patch severely nerfing an item that I will find in my pm adventures. Plus, your patch doesn't stop someone from making a +2/+2 essence and using it on a spell that is cast immediately after the essence is created, thus gaining a net +1/+1 bonus for that spell.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 506