Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1247422 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 115 The plot thickens
« Reply #2835 on: September 13, 2015, 09:20:13 am »

((If you want to force combat a little, you could make more hostile encounters, or possibly even a successor for the dragon.))

((Also, what about some "negative" modifiers, which weaken your spell in some way, but provide a bonus to the roll instead of a malus? That would give people the option to make bigger/more interesting things, with various drawbacks acting as compensation.))

Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:23:12 am by Whisperling »

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: September 13, 2015, 09:26:03 am »

I just realized that for sword making I need a -1 mod for solidity, unless I happen to find a sword / sword parts which I don't need magic to craft together nessecarily.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: September 13, 2015, 09:58:39 am »

((I just realized that for sword making I need a -1 mod for solidity, unless I happen to find a sword / sword parts which I don't need magic to craft together necessarily.))
((There was a discussion on this exact phenomenon a while back, but the general gist is that you have to find the balance between overly specific (such as fire, which had a massive heap of problems) and overly general. This arises from the malus system, where getting more and more specific will continue to apply malus after malus until you're guaranteed to botch the spell. On the other hand, being too specific won't allow you to do anything, because your affinity wouldn't have enough leeway. I'd recommend trying to come up with 3 or 4 specific spells to cover the largest number of cases with the least maluses. If you can't figure out at least 3 varied cases, your affinity's probably a bit too specific, and if you're getting too many maluses, it's too general. Or it could be more of an action, like Etszu's Fleshwarping and James' Summoning affinities, but you could easily fall into problems with those as well.

Or, you could just come up with an affinity you find interesting or intriguing, which has been how I've chosen my affinities (Fleshwarping and Luck).

Anyway, you'd actually want summon, not solidity. Solidity is for if you tried to make a sword out of water or fire. "Summon a sword" would be just a static -1, which would couple with your natural +0 (from only 2 POT) to give you an overall -1 to your rolls. It'd be unpredictable at best, but it'd give you something.))
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: September 13, 2015, 10:29:12 am »

((If you want to force combat a little, you could make more hostile encounters, or possibly even a successor for the dragon.))

((Also, what about some "negative" modifiers, which weaken your spell in some way, but provide a bonus to the roll instead of a malus? That would give people the option to make bigger/more interesting things, with various drawbacks acting as compensation.))

Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)
I already asked DG about that in a pm, and he said that he'd consider it, but it won't be implemented yet.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: September 13, 2015, 11:49:25 am »

((I just realized that for sword making I need a -1 mod for solidity, unless I happen to find a sword / sword parts which I don't need magic to craft together necessarily.))
((There was a discussion on this exact phenomenon a while back, but the general gist is that you have to find the balance between overly specific (such as fire, which had a massive heap of problems) and overly general. This arises from the malus system, where getting more and more specific will continue to apply malus after malus until you're guaranteed to botch the spell. On the other hand, being too specific won't allow you to do anything, because your affinity wouldn't have enough leeway. I'd recommend trying to come up with 3 or 4 specific spells to cover the largest number of cases with the least maluses. If you can't figure out at least 3 varied cases, your affinity's probably a bit too specific, and if you're getting too many maluses, it's too general. Or it could be more of an action, like Etszu's Fleshwarping and James' Summoning affinities, but you could easily fall into problems with those as well.

Or, you could just come up with an affinity you find interesting or intriguing, which has been how I've chosen my affinities (Fleshwarping and Luck).

Anyway, you'd actually want summon, not solidity. Solidity is for if you tried to make a sword out of water or fire. "Summon a sword" would be just a static -1, which would couple with your natural +0 (from only 2 POT) to give you an overall -1 to your rolls. It'd be unpredictable at best, but it'd give you something.))

I want to make my sword out of any material available (Not including myself at this point). So yeah even a sword made out of dust would do so long as it was compressed enough so as to make it rock solid or better. (If anyone has any admantium or an admantium sword for sale, I will pay in shards or will offer to repair/buff an existing weapon you have)
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: September 13, 2015, 11:56:38 am »

(If anyone has any admantium or an admantium sword for sale, I will pay in shards or will offer to repair/buff an existing weapon you have)
Check lake's shores. I think there are still some salvagable parts of adamantium mech laying there, ignored by everymage.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: September 13, 2015, 12:03:26 pm »

((uh hello? metal mage right here!))
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: September 13, 2015, 12:06:55 pm »

((I have a huge pile of scrap adamantium, as well as some cancerous or necromantic metals and some ordinary steel and iron.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: September 13, 2015, 12:17:18 pm »

By the way where is the council being held? My goal was to join the game just in time to make it to council but in doing so I haven't had time to read the thread up present day. (I've reading like a madman all weekend trying to catch up)

I'm going to change my action to go to the lake where the obsidian lake died to collect obsidian for swords. (I will be sellling these to anyone who wants for shards and stuff."Special Edition Swords Made From Obsidian From Some Long Forgotten Wreck, Highest Quality For The Lowest Prices (Free for the triad because I know that I don't want to get on their badside.)")

*I apologize If I stole anyone's color scheme (White with red shadow). I am just using this one until GM assigns me a color scheme)*

Also sorry metal mage but I like cheap materials and the idea of creating a 20ft long obsidian sword sounds to good to be true.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: September 13, 2015, 12:22:04 pm »

((You pick your own colors, star wars. The council should happen at the portal as soon as Beirus makes his way there. That, or he does mass murder of unprecedented scale.))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: September 13, 2015, 12:23:25 pm »

((I think the council is in a couple turns.  Where will it be held? Will everyone be there, and will someone make a building for it to be held in?))

"James, do you think you could summon me some matches or a lighter, or something to light things on fire with?  I don't have much to give you so you don't need to spend too much effort on it."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:26:59 pm by fillipk »
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: September 13, 2015, 12:24:03 pm »

((I have a huge pile of scrap adamantium, as well as some cancerous or necromantic metals and some ordinary steel and iron.))

((...You know what? Come to think of it, I might be interested in messing around with the hazardous waste. Just some small chunks, enough to fit into part of a gun/gauntlet or something like that.))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: September 13, 2015, 12:26:16 pm »

"Fire? You are not going to burn plants, aren't you?"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: September 13, 2015, 12:41:30 pm »

I just realized that I borrowed the color scheme of one of the triad. Please accept my apologies oh mighty Triad.

Oh and once I get obsidian from the lake assuming I can move all of it in the form of a blade I can make a council building entirely out of weirdly shaped obsidian blades.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: September 13, 2015, 12:52:51 pm »

"Fire? You are not going to burn plants, aren't you?"
"No I promise not to burn any plants. Already got a forest of trents angry at me over a misunderstanding, don't want to actually do something to set them off."
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 506