Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What sort of regional qualities do you look for in an a proper embark site?  Pick up to four.

Evil
- 21 (3.5%)
Nuetral
- 37 (6.1%)
Good
- 19 (3.1%)
High Savagery
- 75 (12.3%)
Medium Savagery
- 13 (2.1%)
Low Savagery
- 3 (0.5%)
Tundra
- 5 (0.8%)
Deserts
- 15 (2.5%)
Forests
- 61 (10%)
Plains
- 8 (1.3%)
Mountains
- 25 (4.1%)
Wetlands
- 3 (0.5%)
Glaciers
- 5 (0.8%)
Caves
- 5 (0.8%)
Waterfalls
- 26 (4.3%)
Volcanos
- 58 (9.5%)
Nearby Towers
- 25 (4.1%)
Rivers or Streams
- 70 (11.5%)
The Intersection of Multiple Biomes
- 62 (10.2%)
Tropical
- 23 (3.8%)
Temperate
- 23 (3.8%)
Cold
- 8 (1.3%)
Other: Special Regional Features Not Mentioned Above
- 18 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What Are Your Favorite Biomes and Geographical Features to Embark To?  (Read 12674 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: What Are Your Favorite Biomes and Geographical Features to Embark To?
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2014, 05:32:22 pm »

Volcanos at the intersection of biomes, one of which has flux and one with sand. No aquifers.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2014, 09:14:43 pm »

Bubble bulbs don't appear on all good biomes. On the most recent half dozen I've embarked on there were no bubble bulbs. Maybe this is because they were hot/scorching good biomes, but I don't think that should make a difference (of course you could always mod the bubble bulb tiles characters too....)
That's weird. They're actually I believe (tied for) THE most biome inclusive plant in the game. They are allowed on all freezing biomes in addition to mountains and tundras too.  Making glaciers the only single land biome they cannot appear on.

Yup that's why I said it shouldn't make a difference... they are very biome inclusive. Perhaps grasses with more specific requirements override grasses with more generic ones? It would be interesting to test.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 03:46:53 pm »

The poll results are interesting. Many of the most popular options are no surprise such as high savagery, rivers, volcanoes and biome intersections. I was a bit surprised to find neutral aligned and forested areas also rank near the top of the list.

The love of forests, although very elven, makes sense since its always nice to have an abundance of lumber and a wide variety of wildlife, but I am curious what made neutral biomes such a stand out choice? I had actually assumed evil was going to be the most popular option as far as alignment went, but it's far from it.

Is there a greater variety of wildlife and plants in neutral areas or perhaps some other unique feature I am missing that makes them so desirable and popular?

I'm guessing that quite a few of the "other" votes were due to people who like shorelines or aquifers which are both options I probably should have listed in the poll but I didn't think of them at the time. Another option I should have listed is islands and other isolated neighbor-less areas.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2014, 05:40:58 pm »

I am curious what made neutral biomes such a stand out choice?
Good and evil are tacky/gimmicky beyond all levels of sanity IMO. Can't stand them in any capacity.

Good = Annoying color scheme and less variety of plants and animals since not many are specific to good biomes, making it more predictable. And of course, less realistic. With no particular other exciting features, nor are the animals or plants very exciting. Oooh "this plant randomly is worth 30 billion dwarfbucks because it's in a good biome, with no other challenge to it" ... and unicorns. *shrug* Much prefer realism if there's nothing else in it for me. Feather wood is nice for building falling things sometimes, but it's not worth all the other junk. I can just mod in balsa wood in normal biomes.

Evil = All the above complaints + even more garish colors and grass + usually something above ground that forces me to turtle as the only option, thus making evil area features simply render themselves redundant almost immediately. So it just becomes the same as any other map where I decided to play underground. Except lower FPS because of hordes of zombies on the surface I don't care about.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:43:02 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2014, 05:59:55 pm »

I'd like good biomes if there were more variety to them. More plants, more creatures, etc. Same with evil. Neutral I tend to have the most fun with. Yes, a lower case "f."
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2014, 08:59:04 pm »

Evil biome is more annoying than spooky. Tower is a better choice, somehow. Sneaky necromancers are entertaining.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2014, 03:14:53 am »

I'd like good biomes if there were more variety to them. More plants, more creatures, etc. Same with evil. Neutral I tend to have the most fun with. Yes, a lower case "f."

So neutral biomes do have better variety of plants and animals then?

I figured there had to be some reason people were seeking them out intentionally. I often end up with at least one neutral biome in my embarks and they do seem to have a good variety of critters but I've never actually sought them out specifically. I certainly have nothing against neutral nor any of the other alignment options for that matter. Apparently the good and evil biomes are a bit of an eye sore with some graphics options.

The reason I figured evil would be most popular is simply because it offers the most unique play altering features and challenges although I'm sure many do not like having their dwarves melt in the rain or their kitten skins coming back to life and strangling the butcher etc. (Personally, I find these sorts of things just plain awesome.) I also seriously overestimated how popular necromancer towers are. I figured they would be right up there with volcanoes. You see a lot of threads written about necromancer or evil biome embarks in the forums but it just goes to show you that the vocal few don't necessarily represent the majority.

It's been neat seeing what people look for when they embark and its actually given me some ideas for picking a location for my next fortress.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2014, 09:56:17 am »

I almost always embark on a brook or stream and preferably close to the mountain.  Not in a Scorching area, though I do embark in Freezing biomes occasionally. I don't like areas with multi-layer aquifers - I would just rather cave-in one layer and be done with it...

I always like high savagery and/or joyous areas. Evil biomes are nice too for a challenge.  I seem to have an affinity for "aligned" areas, if only for the flavour, and I especially like it when they intersect (if only for the grotesqueness and the legendary unicorn thralls)  I do wish, Good biomes were more different than neutral ones - especially since I like to think of those places as "enchanted" rather than "good" perse (I just mod in item-stealing fairies with dizzy spells...)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:15:59 am by samanato »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2014, 10:16:30 am »

The things I tend to look for are the two 's' letters in the description.  I want to see shallow metalS and deep metalS  :D

I prefer Savage Wilds as well, since neutral suits me for all the reasons previously discussed.  I like volcanoes and the ocean (omg the ocean is so hypnotic even in this game... I could watch the virtual surf almost as much as the real one, GJ Toady!)  If I am not at the shore, I tend to embark next to the river on any given landtile just to have a way to flood the whole damn fortress get access to fresh water.

I tend to turn Aquifers off, but if I have them turned on I need somewhere to dig to avoid them since I have still never managed to pierce one successfully.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2014, 10:42:39 am »

necromancer towers
You misspelled "lag." There's no N in it, nor any E's or C's.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2014, 10:42:59 pm »

necromancer towers
You misspelled "lag." There's no N in it, nor any E's or C's.
But there are Ñ's and Ñ's.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2014, 02:07:32 pm »

The things I tend to look for are the two 's' letters in the description.  I want to see shallow metalS and deep metalS  :D

I prefer Savage Wilds as well, since neutral suits me for all the reasons previously discussed.  I like volcanoes and the ocean (omg the ocean is so hypnotic even in this game... I could watch the virtual surf almost as much as the real one, GJ Toady!)  If I am not at the shore, I tend to embark next to the river on any given landtile just to have a way to flood the whole damn fortress get access to fresh water.

I tend to turn Aquifers off, but if I have them turned on I need somewhere to dig to avoid them since I have still never managed to pierce one successfully.

I love aquifers. Piercing them is tricky, but if you have clay or sand you can use that as a building material for a while.

My favorite part about them is their source-and-drain quality. So building a drowning trap is as easy as building a pump that pumps into a room with a drain on the far side. Dwarf pumps pump -> room is full of water. Dwarf stops->room drains, leaving behind damp goblinite.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]