Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What sort of regional qualities do you look for in an a proper embark site?  Pick up to four.

Evil
- 21 (3.5%)
Nuetral
- 37 (6.1%)
Good
- 19 (3.1%)
High Savagery
- 75 (12.3%)
Medium Savagery
- 13 (2.1%)
Low Savagery
- 3 (0.5%)
Tundra
- 5 (0.8%)
Deserts
- 15 (2.5%)
Forests
- 61 (10%)
Plains
- 8 (1.3%)
Mountains
- 25 (4.1%)
Wetlands
- 3 (0.5%)
Glaciers
- 5 (0.8%)
Caves
- 5 (0.8%)
Waterfalls
- 26 (4.3%)
Volcanos
- 58 (9.5%)
Nearby Towers
- 25 (4.1%)
Rivers or Streams
- 70 (11.5%)
The Intersection of Multiple Biomes
- 62 (10.2%)
Tropical
- 23 (3.8%)
Temperate
- 23 (3.8%)
Cold
- 8 (1.3%)
Other: Special Regional Features Not Mentioned Above
- 18 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What Are Your Favorite Biomes and Geographical Features to Embark To?  (Read 12692 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: What Are Your Favorite Biomes and Geographical Features to Embark To?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2014, 01:15:38 pm »

As I have yet to breach the circus, become a mountainhome, or even reach (I have a habit of starting over, see) a siege, I stick to aquifer-less calm forests and plains.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2014, 01:23:25 pm »

I avoid good biomes because bubble bulb is eye rape.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2014, 05:18:19 pm »

I'd love to find one with a hill smack in the middle, but can never seen to find one.

If anyone has a secret for finding or generating this sort of formation more frequently, I'd like to know about it. [....] I never land near a sizable hill in the center of the map.

[--- SNIP explanation of geographical feature size (huge) vs. embark tile size (small, in the scheme of things) ---]

Yeah, that's a really good point. I've never tried out isoworld, but it seems like a neat tool. Also, it does make sense topographically, because you don't usually see a lone hill in the middle of a flat plain. Still, I can dream, can't I? (-:

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2014, 05:19:14 pm »

Bubble bulbs don't appear on all good biomes. On the most recent half dozen I've embarked on there were no bubble bulbs. Maybe this is because they were hot/scorching good biomes, but I don't think that should make a difference (of course you could always mod the bubble bulb tiles characters too....)
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2014, 05:46:16 pm »

(of course you could always mod the bubble bulb tiles characters too....)

Ah, I love that about DF. Don't like something?  Mod it away!
Works 60% of the time with no repercussions. The other 40% is when it goes horribly wrong Fun and causes more problems or the case in point is actually more than a minor inconvenience, like a FB made of steel in your meeting hall, when you actually would need a miracle, but all you have is two copped picks, a wooden axe and 30 dwarves cowering in the corner watching a baby and a kitten fight a towering skinless caterpillar with 3 eyes.

TL; DR:Yes, that is only one sentence and entirely off topic. You may ignore it.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2014, 10:50:01 pm »

I'm surprised how little love caves have gotten in this poll. It's one of those quirky features that are quite neat but often unexplored. I figured they would be about as popular as waterfalls but it looks like very few people go out of there way to find them.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2014, 11:12:32 pm »

I like taigas near the foothills of mountains.  Preferably in a region with a river or stream that thaws for part of the year.

That's one of my usual picks of location...  I always seem to get a lot of Goblin towers near the mountains though.  CURSE THOSE GOBLINS!  Necromancers too (although they seem to prefer swamps...)

I like to center my embarks around an outcropping or a lonely mountain. Remove ramps, and you've got a ready-made archers' tower.

Where can I find one of THOSE?!  Please do share- I would love nothing more than to find a good isolated outcropping or mountain for a fortress (I find actual mountain ranges to not be very secure- as there are always higher elevations more towards the edge of the map, as I can't embark on a tile entirely within mountain terrain, limiting me to the foothills or edges...)  Since it takes a lot of work to remove the natural ramps to make a fortress ACTUALLY secure, it would also make it a lot easier for me to do that in a quick job if all I had to do was drag out a "Remove Ramp" box on the lowest level...

Regards,
Northstar
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2014, 11:38:23 pm »

For the past six months all of my embarks have been islands.  I shoot for ones small enough that the embark can be completely surrounded by water.  This has happened, once.  It was a scorching biome with no aquifer.  A flock of birds ate all the food.  A very short game.

Ideally I want a volcanic island completely surrounded by water in a tropical zone.

Apparently I want to let out my evil genius.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 04:42:19 am »

It really depends on what I want to do with my fort. If I want some specific creatures in my fort I'll look up where they are in the raws and I'll embark there.

For the last six or so forts I've been in temperate grasslands so that I could build a castle that leads into an underground fortress. I tend to have Fun before I can finish though.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2014, 12:19:56 pm »

I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any. Are there any tools out there that will make smaller points of interest such as monster lairs and tombs show up on the world map?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:11:15 pm by Melting Sky »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2014, 02:52:30 pm »

I have an ideal embark site that I've searched a long time for, but never found. It would have a volcano set in a tall, nearly sheer cliff with a mostly flat face. We're talking 30+ z, 60+ would be best. A wide river would flow across the plateau before falling to meet a lake at the bottom. The river would run a respectful distance from the volcano. Close enough that they could mingle if properly motivated, but far enough that, if anthropomorphized, they would consider each other good neighbors. The lake would take up most of one corner of the map, and be surrounded by a tropical forest with deep, rich soil that includes both sand and clay. The surroundings would be mostly untamed wilds, with the lake being joyous wilds and a sliver of terrifying cutting into the map somewhere. It would, of course, be teeming with mineral wealth. There would be three cavern layers, with ample spoiler deposits and a circus tent or two. If you stood atop the cliffs on a clear day, you would see two towers in the distance. Keas and animalmen would be conspicuously absent, having eradicated one another during world gen in the War of Annoyances.

vjek in this thread may be able to help you, if he's still around. It sounds like it'll require some reasonably extensive modding, though - deleting the entries for keas and animal people would be the first step.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:30:56 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Saladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2014, 03:31:48 pm »

I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any. Are there any tools out there that will make smaller points of interest such as monster lairs and tombs show up on the world map?

You can make caves show up when generating a new world by finding the setting in advanced parameters.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2014, 04:28:36 pm »

Bubble bulbs don't appear on all good biomes. On the most recent half dozen I've embarked on there were no bubble bulbs. Maybe this is because they were hot/scorching good biomes, but I don't think that should make a difference (of course you could always mod the bubble bulb tiles characters too....)
That's weird. They're actually I believe (tied for) THE most biome inclusive plant in the game. They are allowed on all freezing biomes in addition to mountains and tundras too.  Making glaciers the only single land biome they cannot appear on.

It must be a cap on the number of grass types you can have or something on a map, and other ones filled up the list before bulbs got on. This would be interesting science to conduct.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2014, 06:44:32 pm »

I just remembered. Kobold camps are one of my favorite embark sites.  If a huge pita to do on purpose.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2014, 01:10:55 pm »

I just remembered. Kobold camps are one of my favorite embark sites.  If a huge pita to do on purpose.

I'm not sure if you know this all already or not but here's a link to a thread on the topic. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107079.0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5