Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to get items in/out of a walled off area?  (Read 1091 times)

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get items in/out of a walled off area?
« on: June 23, 2014, 08:58:58 pm »

So, after my last fort suffered a tantrum spiral when I ignored one too many noble's complaints about the rooms their underlings had and they went insane, I've decided to see if I can wall off individual dwarves and build a fort that way. (Maybe with vampires, although that way lies vveerryy ssllooww ddwaarrvveess.) The problem becomes: how do I get items in/out of the cells in a manner that allows no other access? Sure, I can use burrows. But that way is tedious, and doesn't allow me to contain insane dwarves / invadors / etc.

Is there a compact minecart airlock design? Or a compact way to prevent items from being dropped on / shotgunned at people's heads? Or some other method of automatic item transportation that doesn't allow creatures to pass through?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get items in/out of a walled off area?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:56:17 pm »

There is an article about quantum teleporter on the wiki.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:03:45 pm »

To be specific, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Exploit#Dwarven_vacuum_cleaner.2Fquantum_teleporter
Keep in mind that this may not work if the items aren't in the same 16x16 block as the construction being removed.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:43:07 pm »

To be specific, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Exploit#Dwarven_vacuum_cleaner.2Fquantum_teleporter
Keep in mind that this may not work if the items aren't in the same 16x16 block as the construction being removed.
It should be noted very clearly that this is a bug and that a "default" DFHack installation will automatically fix it on Windows and Linux.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 11:47:49 pm »

It should be noted very clearly that this is a bug and that a "default" DFHack installation will automatically fix it on Windows and Linux.

I think you have to run "deconstruct-teleport", it's not automatic. Or at least the bug still happens with my 6-month old version of DFHack
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 12:01:45 am »

Dump zones. Just have a hole in the ceiling and drop stuff from the z-level above down. Cover it up with a lever linked bridge if you want the two areas COMPLETELY separate. Make sure there's another room[Preferably with a lockable door] that the dwarf can stand in so falling objects don't kill/maim them[Yes, those pancake rations CAN kill dwarves if you drop them on their heads. And this is why dwarves don't have pancake flipping contests. That and the batter gets stuck in their beards.]
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 03:09:08 am »

That's how I do it whenever I find a vampire; seal them off in a separate area (and give them all labors), have a hole in the ceiling to drop in supplies, and a hole in the floor to drop anything they might produce.
A door to the supply room you can lock should be enough to prevent them from getting brained by a pair of trousers.

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 11:52:43 am »

Yes, you could make an "airlock" out of a small chamber with a locked door on each side.  (or maybe many locked doors so all of the isolationists can access it at some point). Have dwarfs dump items in the chamber, lock the door behind them, then open a different door and have the item reclaimed.

You could also make a series of pits/cliffs for dwarfs to drop things onto lower Z levels where the next dwarf could pick it up.

Either way, it's going to take a bit of managing.

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 12:53:51 pm »

Thus far none of the suggestions are automatic. Drat. I'm not insane enough to think I could micromanage every set of items moving between dwarves.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 02:37:54 pm »

Hmmm... Perhaps use a couple of Z levels to prestage supplies.
1. Have a minecart route with stops dump supplies into a 1x1 room with a hatch cover as the floor.
2. Have the above mentioned hatch cover linked to a pressure plate in the room below where the confined dwarf is. That pressure plate is located somewhere in the room such that when the dwarf steps on it, he won't be underneath the hatch cover when it opens.

Main problem I see is having the confined dwarf get supplied with too much stuff since minecart stops tend to cause everything in the minecart to get dumped.

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 04:33:29 pm »

What's the maximum speed of a dwarf? One move every 4 ticks assuming maxed agility? In which case you'd need 25 (+ time for items to fall) tiles between the pressure plate and the drop to guarantee that the dwarf cannot get caught in the falling items.

My current thought is an item drop like you mentioned, with a pressure plate and two hatches connected to it - one that opens to block access to the item drop, one that allows the items in the item drop to fall. The biggest issue is that it may not trigger if the dwarf doesn't happen to walk across the pressure plate.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 04:47:26 pm »

Getting the dwarf to trigger the pressure plate is trivial. Just make certain that the dwarf has a bed at the end of a 1x2 corridor. And place the pressure plate on the other tile of the corridor.

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 06:53:56 pm »

Vampires don't eat, drink, or sleep, though, IIRC.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 07:53:42 pm »

I think you have to run "deconstruct-teleport", it's not automatic. Or at least the bug still happens with my 6-month old version of DFHack
DFHack comes with a "default settings" file called dfhack.init-example which includes most (if not all) of the binpatches; unfortunately, most people never rename it to "dfhack.init" to make it actually get used, so everybody misses out on those patches.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 08:04:28 pm »

Eh, it's a good thing it's not by default, personally. Some of the things in it can seriously change the game.

Although the best option in my opinion would be to have a first-run screen where it asked you if you wanted to enable said tweaks. Even just a reminder in the console until you edited dfhack.init would work.
Pages: [1] 2