Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan arrives, merchant gets hand bruised by wren, everybody leaves instantly  (Read 761 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The first two dwarven wagons came, then the incident happened and then they left. About 10 more wagons/animals appeared on the edge of the map as normally, only to dissappear almost immediately.

What the hell merchants? I remember other times when half the caravan got killed and they would still stubbornly attempt to reach the depot to trade.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've had caravans refuse to trade after just being scared by enemies. I don't think they took a single hit. Just seeing the enemy and fleeing from them was enough.

ScegfOd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've had caravans refuse to trade after just being scared by enemies. I don't think they took a single hit. Just seeing the enemy and fleeing from them was enough.
I once had an incoming merchant caravan get scared off by a single bird that never even got very close to them... the bird also ran away...
Why you kids feed troll?
We're just keeping it around so we can harvest its fur.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Had this happen with the first caravan to my current fort, with them being attacked by snakes at a time when I was really desperate for booze.
Made me go "Nooooh, hey, they killed the wagon pullers. Free goodies!"

Maybe it's somehow determined by whether or not there's a living guard between the merchant and the scary thing? Though in my experience it happens if a merchant is attacked directly. I've had them scatter before, but then trade as normal.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you sure no-one came to harm? In my experience, caravans flee when one of the "merchant" units gets killed - to wit, a trader, a pack animal or a wagon (dead guards don't matter). If a wagon-puller panicks and bolts, resulting in a broken wagon, that's already enough.

Urist McDworf

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute until proven guilty
    • View Profile

Had this happen with the first caravan to my current fort, with them being attacked by snakes at a time when I was really desperate for booze.
Made me go "Nooooh, hey, they killed the wagon pullers. Free goodies!"

Maybe it's somehow determined by whether or not there's a living guard between the merchant and the scary thing? Though in my experience it happens if a merchant is attacked directly. I've had them scatter before, but then trade as normal.

Is it really possible to take goods from the caravans if they break down/flee without their wagons?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, very much so. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just be aware that losing goods will anger the caravan civilization, regardless of whether or not it was your fault. They basically just keep track of profit. And if it's negative for too long they might become enemies.
i.e. two human caravans in a row being killed by goblins might lead to the humans attacking you.
If a wagon or pack animal has already fallen there's no reason not to take their stuff, though.