Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Project Full of Hormones (Updates Infrequently :P)  (Read 3973 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Project Full of Hormones (Updates Infrequently :P)
« on: June 23, 2014, 01:01:13 am »

I'm now on hormones to make the transition to female, and I decided to do a little experiment as I go. I've started taking a picture a day and later on once I have a decent amount of pictures, I'll string them together into a gif. Why? I don't think I've seen many (if any at all) transitions that show every step of the process. This will be a very slow moving project, so I'll only be doing weekly updates.

If anyone has any suggestions for things to do in addition to a dead-on shot, let me know. I wouldn't be against a moving stop motion gif as I'm transitioning, which will be a pain, but it's a once in a lifetime chance to do it.

Lastly, if someone has any random questions about the process, let me know and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:34:26 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: A Project Full of Hormones (Weekly Updates)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:11:18 am »

I've seen pictures of Day Zero and Day Seven Hundred Ninty Three, but none of this sort of project. I feel it'll be very cool, especially if you do't forget to do it every day for at least a year. My advice is to have consistent environment--same pose, same lighting,  no need for same clothes/hair/background. If you mark down the position of a camera and where you stand you can practically ensure the gif will be smooth.

I think someone could make a script that composits a directory full of numbered pictures into one gif/video clip...Adobe Bridge might have that feature. It's obviously better if the picture is roughly the same every time. :v

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 02:19:34 am »

I think someone could make a script that composits a directory full of numbered pictures into one gif/video clip...Adobe Bridge might have that feature. It's obviously better if the picture is roughly the same every time. :v

GIMP can open images as layers. It should be very easy to make a gif of them, if they're timestamped so they sort nicely.

That said, go Fool! I hope you follow all the way through!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 05:41:09 am »

Best of luck!
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 07:32:27 am »

Woo! Go Inkwell :D

PTW.

Also, as a tiiiny tip. To save image resolution (but make it able to display in smaller sizes {and probably save us really bad net users from all the loading... ><}), try this.

[img height=x width=y] in place of [img]
Wherein x/y = pixels!
Like 640x400 for portrait and 400x800 for landscape and stuff.

I've seen pictures of Day Zero and Day Seven Hundred Ninty Three, but none of this sort of project. I feel it'll be very cool, especially if you do't forget to do it every day for at least a year. My advice is to have consistent environment--same pose, same lighting,  no need for same clothes/hair/background. If you mark down the position of a camera and where you stand you can practically ensure the gif will be smooth.

Also a tiny tip on this too. If you can, make the background monochromatic, or something that wouldn't change and would be easily controlled for that purpose if so.

If not, you could always go for the morning sunset and hope the light hits. ;D In the very least, you'll have hundreds of awesome sunset pics to look at.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 09:29:34 am »

Neat project.  :)

Lastly, if someone has any random questions about the process, let me know and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

After the process do you need to keep taking the hormones forever, or does it kind of stabilize?

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 12:29:49 pm »

After the process do you need to keep taking the hormones forever, or does it kind of stabilize?

The process never stops. Anyone biologically male will not produce enough estrogen to maintain it. It can even reverse overtime regardless of whether or not you're still on hormones just from age, but that isn't usually an issue til you've been on hormones for 10-20 years.

If you have surgery to stop testosterone production (full sex change or just disconnecting the hormone producer), you'd need hormones to basically stay alive. Within 8 weeks of stopping hormones after testosterone production is stopped, you'll get severe osteoporosis and your bones become extremely brittle. With that said the amount of estrogen you need is massively decreased, and it'd be the only medication you need (which is quite cheap, about $10 per month).

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 12:58:45 pm »

The process never stops. Anyone biologically male will not produce enough estrogen to maintain it. It can even reverse overtime regardless of whether or not you're still on hormones just from age, but that isn't usually an issue til you've been on hormones for 10-20 years.

If you have surgery to stop testosterone production (full sex change or just disconnecting the hormone producer), you'd need hormones to basically stay alive. Within 8 weeks of stopping hormones after testosterone production is stopped, you'll get severe osteoporosis and your bones become extremely brittle. With that said the amount of estrogen you need is massively decreased, and it'd be the only medication you need (which is quite cheap, about $10 per month).

Ah cool.  And heck, after 10-20 years they'd probably figure out a way around that as well. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 10:02:09 am »

Everything about that sounds terrifying, for the same reason people on CPAP make huge efforts to lose weight. :( GL

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 03:22:41 am »

I wonder if this thread would also be used as an educational note with respect to hormones and their functions as...a side note? o-o

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 06:11:26 pm »

I'm following this. Good luck :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 01:39:27 am »

This is... an awesome project. How long does it generally take for most of the physical changes to take place, or is it wildly different for different folks?

Hope everything goes well! Watching with interest.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 03:31:36 am »

This is... an awesome project. How long does it generally take for most of the physical changes to take place, or is it wildly different for different folks?

Hope everything goes well! Watching with interest.

There's a lot of different receptors in different systems, which can respond in different orders at work, so it probably varies.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 09:38:53 pm »

I don't want to sound ignorant, but... One thing that keeps nagging me is why? I don't mean to insult anyone either, but why do this in the first place? I just can't wrap my head around why someone would want to go through with something like this...
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 01:01:03 am »

It does indeed vary. Usually anywhere between 1-3 years for most changes to take place to my knowledge.

I don't want to sound ignorant, but... One thing that keeps nagging me is why? I don't mean to insult anyone either, but why do this in the first place? I just can't wrap my head around why someone would want to go through with something like this...

It's fair enough of a question, and I can't say that my answer will completely satisfy you, but I can try to explain.

I'm massively uncomfortable with being male in all aspects. I have a massive dislike of nearly all male clothes, and a massive jealousy of women's clothing (patterns and designs mostly). Not into 'topping' anyone, male or female. Not comfortable to even stand next to another guy at a urinal, even if I seriously need to go. Basically most situations in which I would be distinctly 'male' causes me mental distress. The reason I'm doing through the HRT (hormone replacement therapy) process is to relieve everyday stress by becoming something that I relate more to, a lady. Hopefully I explained myself well enough. :-\

I'm going to upload one picture as an update tomorrow. I don't want a gif with only 5-6 pictures. :P

Pages: [1] 2 3