Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Captured a Roc. What should I do with him?  (Read 2975 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Captured a Roc. What should I do with him?
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:07:29 am »

What it say's on the tin. The beast flew into my cage traps and much to my suprise, was actually detained. I have my beast master taming him but its a slow process. Anyone know how I can domesticate this thing before I have a godzilla sized bird of prey pecking my dorfs away?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Captured a Roc. What should I do with him?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:31:40 am »

1) Build an enormous underground aviary. This area should be at least 6z levels high and contain various small obstacles and cover. Release the untrained Roc inside, and devise a system whereas goblins can be introduced to the aviary without risk of letting the Roc out. Some kind of airlock system might be best. This is where all prisoners go to earn their freedom.

2) Eat it. Good eating on Roc.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:35:54 am »

I think the amount of gibs will warrant 8 kitchens working full-time to make all the meat into meals before it rots.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 12:42:01 am »

Or a stockpile. But really, the point is valid. Those things have like..... 300 meat on them or something like that.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 12:49:49 am »

Well Id rather not eat the bird when I have a thriving meat industry as it is haha. I was thinking of war training him and having him as the fortress guardian/mascot. I do like the idea of the massive aviary where he can brood over the fortress. Oh so many possibilities. Maybe if I can get a lady Roc for him and possibly make some Roc-lings.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 04:09:50 am »

War rocs die pretty quickly. Don't advise that, it is likely to be disappointingly anti climactic
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:00:08 am »

War rocs die pretty quickly. Don't advise that, it is likely to be disappointingly anti climactic
If you can wait 20 years they grow to a size of 20 million (largest trainable land animal besides finding a 1000 year old dragon, and those can't properly reproduce by default.) Should be pretty formidable by then, I would think.

By 1 year they're at least the size of an elephant, but I don't know how their attack types (talon and beak, i.e. edged,) match up (to a foot or tusk,) or how any of that works. At least they don't starve.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 05:07:35 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 05:16:05 am »

Wait for one of the opposite sex to rock up. Set up a Roc breeding plant.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 09:05:20 am »

Wait for one of the opposite sex to rock up. Set up a Roc breeding plant.

This, except make a duplicate file to check your legends and see if there's a second Roc
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 11:26:18 am »

If you can manage to catch a second Roc, then that is the best plan.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 01:39:32 pm »

If you can wait 20 years they grow to a size of 20 million (largest trainable land animal besides finding a 1000 year old dragon, and those can't properly reproduce by default.) Should be pretty formidable by then, I would think.

By 1 year they're at least the size of an elephant, but I don't know how their attack types (talon and beak, i.e. edged,) match up (to a foot or tusk,) or how any of that works. At least they don't starve.
No, since they don't have armor, they may take out one impressive enemy or two, but they accumulate wounds really quickly and then die. I mean I didn't check the one I caught with dfhack or pressure plates or anything for exact weight, but it came out of a decently long worldgen, so it should have been adult size. It killed a few trolls and a couple goblins or something then bled to death.

Dragons are pretty fragile, too, but that have better staying power, because their breath attacks are ranged, and so enemies don't close in as often to build up cuts and wounds on them.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

ribby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 04:04:52 pm »

Sorry, I know this is unrelated to the question but since you guys seem to know how animals grow in DF, I was wondering how large Giant animals are likely to grow (Giant Python) also vaguely how long one is likely to live.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 04:26:14 pm »

Sorry, I know this is unrelated to the question but since you guys seem to know how animals grow in DF, I was wondering how large Giant animals are likely to grow (Giant Python) also vaguely how long one is likely to live.
Go to your main DF folder, and navigate to "raw", then "objects" then do a search for the animal you are interested in to figure out which text file it is in. Let's say giant pandas. Which are in creature_large_temperate.txt. Then search for it in the file, you get this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

so the "change to body size" is 893, meaning it is 893% larger than a panda. Looking up panda shows you another set of text, amongst which is:
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:150] small!
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:65000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:130000]

The syntax is years:days:cubic centimers.   That means, at 0 years, 0 days, pandas are born at 150 cubic centimeters. They then increase linearly (IIRC) in size until 1 year, 0 days when they are 65,000 cubic centimeters. Then they continue to increase to two years when they are 130,000 cubic centimeters. Then they stop growing. I'm not sure why it defines two linear segments with the same slope in this case, but whatever.

For a giant panda, it's those numbers x 8.93

Individuals of some creatures can vary in size from the species average too, by some number of %, indicated by things like:
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
which outlines a range of values, in this case, they can go from 90% of average up to 110% of average. The numbers in between specify non-linear gradients (like a bell curve) if desired.

Also note:
[MAXAGE:20:30]
so pandas can start dying of old age at 20, and have some chance of dying every year until 30, at which time i believe it means that it is guaranteed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 06:37:16 pm »

No, since they don't have armor, they may take out one impressive enemy or two, but they accumulate wounds really quickly and then die. I mean I didn't check the one I caught with dfhack or pressure plates or anything for exact weight, but it came out of a decently long worldgen, so it should have been adult size. It killed a few trolls and a couple goblins or something then bled to death.

Dragons are pretty fragile, too, but that have better staying power, because their breath attacks are ranged, and so enemies don't close in as often to build up cuts and wounds on them.

This may be true, but they hatch in groups, and they are a renewable form of fortress guard. You lose nothing valuable when one dies. Tis' the glory of guard animals.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 07:41:15 pm »

Sure but he only has one ;)

Pages: [1] 2