Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Captured a Roc. What should I do with him?  (Read 2973 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Captured a Roc. What should I do with him?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 08:20:16 pm »

Sure but he only has one ;)

Agreed! May I suggest an enourmous Aviary-themed death arena? :3
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 08:45:35 pm »

yes I lean toward avian death arena too
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 10:28:01 pm »

1) Build two side rooms onto you trade depot that can be sealed with raising bridges.
2) Make the entrance to your trade depot sealable with a raising bridge.
3) Pasture your roc in one side room. Put cage traps in the other.
4) When elves come to trade, seal the depot and introduce them to winged death your new broker.
5) Marvel at your roc's shrewd business sense.

If you've already started training the roc this won't work until it goes wild again. And you'll almost certainly have to rebuild the depot afterwards, which can take a long time because you'll have to move all of the elves' junk first. So it might be a good idea to have an elves-only depot for showcasing your roc's haggling skills. It will take a bit of work, but I can't think of a better way to conduct commerce with elves.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:31:05 pm by m-logik »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 10:47:43 pm »

NEW PLAN, IN COLLABORATION WITH M-LOGIK

1) Build an enormous Aviary-themed death arena
2) Place an elves-only Trade Depot inside said arena.
3) Pasture your roc in a side room, preferably at the very top and center of your arena.
4) When elves come to trade, seal the depot and introduce them to winged death your new broker.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 11:46:31 pm »

NEW PLAN, IN COLLABORATION WITH M-LOGIK

1) Build an enormous Aviary-themed death arena
2) Place an elves-only Trade Depot inside said arena.
3) Pasture your roc in a side room, preferably at the very top and center of your arena.

The cut of your jib, I like it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 01:37:03 am »

Nothing could possibly please me more in this world than to see you create this thing, and post it here.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 02:13:29 am »

If the Roc is tame, either lock the elves in their til they go insane or initiate combat via a few crossbow bolts through a fortification.

I think both would work...

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 06:33:22 pm »

Ill post the results, may take a while however. He's one level below domesticated.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 06:34:46 pm »

I thought that it wasn't possible to train a wild animal to tame. You had to train them and then their kids would inherit the permanent training level?

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 07:19:39 pm »

I would advocate against training it all if you're going to use it to greet elven caravans. I've been trying to start a war with the elves in my current fort and have noticed that merchants will be considered noncombatants even if you've ordered one of them to be attacked. Your military will ignore the rest as they attempt to flee. I would assume that this applies to trained animals too. So, taking potshots from behind fortifications would only trigger combat with the one you shoot (if it survives). If you just wait for them to go insane (which takes a long time) it would only attack the ones that go berserk. The only surefire way to get it to slaughter elves indiscriminately would be to leave it wild or to entice an elf siege. Which is a hell of a lot harder than it should be. With some creative airlock use and tactical placement of artifact furniture you can let go wild and still keep it contained.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 08:58:00 pm »

If you can wait 20 years they grow to a size of 20 million (largest trainable land animal besides finding a 1000 year old dragon, and those can't properly reproduce by default.) Should be pretty formidable by then, I would think.

By 1 year they're at least the size of an elephant, but I don't know how their attack types (talon and beak, i.e. edged,) match up (to a foot or tusk,) or how any of that works. At least they don't starve.
No, since they don't have armor, they may take out one impressive enemy or two, but they accumulate wounds really quickly and then die. I mean I didn't check the one I caught with dfhack or pressure plates or anything for exact weight, but it came out of a decently long worldgen, so it should have been adult size. It killed a few trolls and a couple goblins or something then bled to death.

Dragons are pretty fragile, too, but that have better staying power, because their breath attacks are ranged, and so enemies don't close in as often to build up cuts and wounds on them.
It's still going to outlast any other renewable animal for its large blood volume.

Unless the enemies have shields. Dragons are best behind fortifications anyway.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 09:33:45 pm »

Wait for one of the opposite sex to roc up. Set up a Roc breeding plant.

how am I the first one to fix this
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 12:25:56 am »

I want to see this whole thing happen very badly.
Pages: 1 [2]