Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Second Wave of Migrants Fails to Arrive Along with First Caravan  (Read 3568 times)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is something going wrong with my current embark site. I received my first wave of migrants consisting of a handful of dwarves without any issues but all the scheduled events since then have failed to show up completely or didn't work correctly.

When it came time for my second wave of migrants the game paused and I received the message that the migrants had arrived but nobody showed up. The screen zoomed in on an empty region with a couple of peach faced birdmen in it and that was it. The migrants didn't appear on the map, in the units or stock menus, battle reports, dwarf therapist, etc. No bodies, no combat reports, nothing.

Then I waited through autumn and I hear nothing from the mountain home and its merchants. Winter arrived and the caravan failed to show up completely. The depot was accessible and the undead siege had been defeated long before the caravan was supposed to arrive. There is no apparent reason for them not to show up.

Looking at my civilizations screen it has some kobolds, some goblins and the dwarven civilization my 7 originated from and that's it. No humans or elves which is slightly odd but certainly not that uncommon. Does this mean the mountain home is dead or something?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:15:40 am by Melting Sky »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Second Wave of Migrants Fails to Arrive Along with First Caravan
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 03:20:57 am »

Yep, sounds like your civ is dead. Have fun keeping children alive instead of considering them little parasitic shits.
This is a blank sig.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 03:58:47 am »

Yep, sounds like your civ is dead. Have fun keeping children alive instead of considering them little parasitic shits.
Ouch, I think I bit off a bit more than I can chew. I'm not sure I'm up for my third fort being a hermit fortress with no trading partners and a dead civilization, next to a necro tower in an embark with both haunted and terrifying biomes. Plus there is no iron or coal on the map.  :o

Edit: My mistake there were two migrants that actually did show up and flew under the radar. I'm not sure how I missed them earlier. The caravan and liaison didn't come though. This is going to be brutal.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:13:16 am by Melting Sky »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 11:14:03 am »

Ouch, I think I bit off a bit more than I can chew. I'm not sure I'm up for my third fort being a hermit fortress with no trading partners and a dead civilization, next to a necro tower in an embark with both haunted and terrifying biomes. Plus there is no iron or coal on the map.  :o

Edit: My mistake there were two migrants that actually did show up and flew under the radar. I'm not sure how I missed them earlier. The caravan and liaison didn't come though. This is going to be brutal.
Yes, even if your civ is dead, you are guaranteed to get two migrant waves because the first two are always poofed out of thin air.  Presumably a dead civ doesn't actually send out migrants, these folks were diaspora living elsewhere who heard that you are re-establishing the civ.

Note that there will not be any migrant waves after the second.  Have Fun!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 11:51:17 am »

Too bad this isn't in the newest, yet to be released version, as you won't get any nobles other than those you can appoint yourself if you civ is truly dead in the version we get to play right now.  If I remember correctly, the next version to be released has the fixes that allow a new noble (baron/count/king) to be appointed if the current one dies.

On the other hand, you get the fun of the "my civ is dead, so all the dwarves are here" challenge! ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 02:04:56 pm »

Is there anyway to tell before embarking that your civ is dead? Had I known my civ was dead and I had no human or elf neighbors to ever trade with I would have embarked a little differently to say the least. I should have brought a wide variety of breeding pairs of animals with me since they could have covered a lot of the more dangerous guard and exploration duties that are going to be left unfilled due to a massive lack of dwarf power.

I wish I at least had some dogs. The turkeys, wagon horses and the single surviving cat aren't going to cut it. I guess I can breed some crazy army of turkeys and use them as guard beasts ect. I could mod the raws and make them war trainable. I normally avoid cheating but this is such an extreme case I think making turkeys trainable would be fair enough.

I think given that I have no human or elven neighbors as well as a dead civ. that my plan to massively run up the titan and mega beast numbers may have backfired on me with unexpected consequences.

Yes, even if your civ is dead, you are guaranteed to get two migrant waves because the first two are always poofed out of thin air.  Presumably a dead civ doesn't actually send out migrants, these folks were diaspora living elsewhere who heard that you are re-establishing the civ.

Note that there will not be any migrant waves after the second.  Have Fun!

I think in total I have 15 dwarves including a child after both waves. Just out of curiosity, when your civilization is dead are those first two hard coded migrant waves always so small?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:13:22 pm by Melting Sky »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 02:37:19 pm »

Is there anyway to tell before embarking that your civ is dead?
I think in total I have 15 dwarves including a child after both waves. Just out of curiosity, when your civilization is dead are those first two hard coded migrant waves always so small?
There no way that I'm aware of beyond the old "trial and error" approach to know if your civ is extinct, maybe checking the legends mode?
But about the two starting migrant waves... Well, they are hard coded, so they can be of any size, if you find gold while digging before the second wave, you will have a massive boost for the economy and they will be numerous. I already got second waves with as much as 29 dwarves.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 03:01:08 pm »

But about the two starting migrant waves... Well, they are hard coded, so they can be of any size, if you find gold while digging before the second wave, you will have a massive boost for the economy and they will be numerous. I already got second waves with as much as 29 dwarves.

That's part of why I was asking. Never before has my second wave had under 20 dwarves and this time it was just 2 which is quite strange considering that I produced a lot more wealth than I did in the last fort where I had close to thirty beards show up. This fort was carved out of a layer of marble and thus everything in it was made of the stuff plus I had my metal industry up and running along with producing tens of thousands of dwarf bucks worth of spiked balls. I was expecting a very large wave of migrants which is why at first I thought nobody had showed up at all.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 03:08:15 pm »

The only way I know of is to check Legends mode before looking for an embark site.  If there was more than one Dwarf civ listed, it's possible one of the others is still around.  Other Dwarven civs will not send caravans unless you mod in the PROGRESS_TRIGGER tags present in Elves and Humans (and then only if they can reach you... no islands).  Not sure if that would break an existing game, so if you experiment be sure to do it with a backup.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 04:34:23 pm »

I don't have an exact answer, but if you pressed p to export the region info during world gen, then you should have a file named regionN-world_sites_and_pops.txt and another named regionN-world_history.txt.

When you select a civ (tab through the screens before embark), that civ's territory is highlighted in blue on one of the embark maps.  So, you should be able to check the blue area, get the names of the sites, and look them up in sites_and_pops.  Maybe.  I haven't actually done it at this level of detail before.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 10:06:05 pm »

I wish I at least had some dogs. The turkeys, wagon horses and the single surviving cat aren't going to cut it. I guess I can breed some crazy army of turkeys and use them as guard beasts ect. I could mod the raws and make them war trainable. I normally avoid cheating but this is such an extreme case I think making turkeys trainable would be fair enough.

Make an open entrance to the caverns lined with cage traps (sealable in case of forgotten beasts).  Cave crocodiles produce more eggs, more meat, more babies, are more valuable, are much more physically imposing, and are generally superior to turkeys in every possible way.  Elk birds aren't half bad either.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 12:13:09 pm »

Other Dwarven civs will not send caravans unless you mod in the PROGRESS_TRIGGER tags present in Elves and Humans (and then only if they can reach you... no islands).
won't work, as they are still considered by the game the same declaration of entity as your civ. just an other instance of it, and you have already a contact with your dead civ. easier to see if you add an entity with more then one races in it, you'll have contact only with one of those.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 03:47:06 pm »

Other Dwarven civs will not send caravans unless you mod in the PROGRESS_TRIGGER tags present in Elves and Humans (and then only if they can reach you... no islands).
won't work, as they are still considered by the game the same declaration of entity as your civ. just an other instance of it, and you have already a contact with your dead civ. easier to see if you add an entity with more then one races in it, you'll have contact only with one of those.
Thank you for that smack in the head correction.  The PROGRESS_TRIGGER fix is to get Dwarven caravans if you're playing as non-Dwarves.

For future reference (since it won't help poor Melting Sky), suppose I were to duplicate the MOUNTAIN entity with PROGRESS_TRIGGERs, a new name like ALCOHOLIC, and an active season of WINTER.  That would enable trade with the other Dwarves, right?  It might even allow for wars, though that'd be really unlikely given the identical ethics.
Just got back, updating:

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 05:01:04 pm »

What causes the civ to die? Like, what circumstances can I set up to make that maximally likely that at least one will be dead in a world? I would like to play something like this for purposes of hermit challenges and not being pestered by new dead bodies every season.

Tons of FBs and titans? Radically different ethics to every other civ? Lower population numbers allowed?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 05:19:05 pm »

@Dirst:
Yes the second entity with winter trigger will work, don't forget to take out the civ_contralable tag so you do not end up embarking with them, and so caravan only from them at winter and none from the original entity as no trigger set (i guess), that is also the way to double up goblin ambushes if that is what someone is looking for
And sorry for the "smack in the head" sometimes i explain too few and it gets a bit rude, other times too much and people then don't bother to read ... hard to dose.
@GavJ:
i think the easiest is to make your dwarf creature live like 2 years, or make them carnivore (if that still works), then they will die out (and can have a separate dwarf creature which survives for caravans, don't forget to change token names). Then you can re-normalize your dwarfs after world generation, (put max age back / take out carnivore, etc) and here you are, you can play with a died-out civilization.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: [1] 2 3