Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Delete retired adventurer  (Read 576 times)

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Delete retired adventurer
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:17:43 am »

I am running DF 0.34.11 on Ubuntu. I just put my fourth adventurer into retirement, and now the game crashes when I try to start a new adventure. This is I believe due to this bug. Since I don't hold out much hope for the bug being fixed in the near future, I'd like to modify my save files to delete one of my adventurers, or at least remove him from my list of retired adventurers so he can go on to live a quiet live as an NPC. Is there a straightforward way to modify the save files to do this? Is the character stored in one of the unit_*.dat files? Is there a way to determine which one? I could create a new world, but I rather like the world I was adventuring in and would like to keep adventuring there if I can. For one thing, I have the ruins of several mature fortresses to explore, and if you can avoid getting killed by ghosts or forgotten beasts, it is a great place to pick up masterwork steel weapons and armor for exploring the rest of the world.

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delete retired adventurer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:28:47 pm »

If anyone else has this problem, I was able to fix it by creating an adventurer from the first page, and then tracking down one of my saved adventurers and assassinating him.