Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Toady: Milk does a body good  (Read 4444 times)

Whiskey_Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toady: Milk does a body good
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

Listen, I respect the right all of you have to argue about milk, and digestibility, but I only have one contribution; a plea:

Toady, whatever you do, please let us keep milking Purring Maggots if you change the code at all.

That would be very nice.

(====:3)
(purring maggot)

he name says it all.

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

I don't want him to delete, only *add*.

Purring maggots + cows + goats + camels = multiple milk sources.

schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2007, 05:38:00 am »

Dwarf Milk Bars For All!!
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

We should be able to shave llamas for their hair. Llama hair makes really good fabric.

There's an episode of Dirty Jobs where they go over the whole process. Then they shave the camera man.  :confused:

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2007, 12:55:00 am »

True, milk is not bad for you if you can digest it.  However, being able to digest milk as an adult is due to a genetic mutation that is largely only present in northern Europeans.  Dwarves, being non-human, are not going to have a human mutation.

On the other hand, goat's milk is not as bad, due to lower lactose content, and Kumis is fantastic, due to lactose being turned into alcohol, which replaces a poison with a vital part of dwarf nutrition*.  I think you should be able to milk cows, goats, and horses.  You can drink goat milk, ferment horse milk, or add sugar to cow milk and ferment that.

* Presumably, the lower air-content of mines has lead to dwarves farther developing anaerobic respiration, so their bodies naturally produce alcohol.  This adaptation naturally leads to another one: a much more robust liver, which coincidentally means consuming alcohol from other sources has less adverse consequences.  Thus dwarves can safely get the nutritional benefits of alcohol, and, more importantly, don't need to drink water.  Water, of course, is very bad for men and dwarves alike without proper treatment.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2007, 01:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Koji:
<STRONG>We should be able to shave llamas for their hair. Llama hair makes really good fabric.

There's an episode of Dirty Jobs where they go over the whole process. Then they shave the camera man.   :) Iit was lol

The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »

Mare's milk is supposedly very sweet.  I haven't tried it myself, though.

Human milk, I've heard, is also quite sweet, almost like honeydew.  Again, I haven't tried it myself -- or at least, not within the years I can remember (I'd be even more messed up than I already am if I could remember those years).

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]