Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Game Features that used to excite you, but make you Groan now  (Read 21290 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Game Features that used to excite you, but make you Groan now
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2014, 03:19:19 am »

My enthusiasm for permadeath is inversely proportional to the length of a "game." Binding of Isaac or FTL, where the game's over in 20 minutes? Bring it on. ToME, which takes a few hours... yeah, okay, sure. Diablo franchise, where you've played  quite a bit into double-digits just to make your character competitive? Nope. Pass.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2014, 04:52:08 am »

For me, it's definitely those dreaded three letters...DLC.

Back when it was a new thing, it was exciting. "Ohhh! New things for a game I love!" but now it's "Why couldn't you release this all in the original game for one price?"...

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2014, 08:05:38 am »

Pixely and/or cutesy graphics. Think Realm of the Mad God or anything like that. Ugh, why. Used to be cool, now I feel oversaturated.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2014, 10:47:12 am »

Pixely and/or cutesy graphics. Think Realm of the Mad God or anything like that. Ugh, why. Used to be cool, now I feel oversaturated.
This happens with every single art-style which was in a popular game (ex. Minecraft for pixely graphics). It's cool and new for some time but then people repeat and repeat and repeat until you're vomiting. And then, after years of suffering under the waves of blandness, finally somebody gains enough guts to try something new. And then the cycle repeat again.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2014, 10:53:08 am »

This happens with every single art-style which was in a popular game (ex. Minecraft for pixely graphics). It's cool and new for some time but then people repeat and repeat and repeat until you're vomiting. And then, after years of suffering under the waves of blandness, finally somebody gains enough guts to try something new. And then the cycle repeat again.

My issue with pixil graphics is most of the time, they aren't very well made.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:56:47 am by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2014, 10:57:18 am »

Permadeath only works for me in games like BoI where what you get/what you do is so random it makes a restart almost appealing.

That describes few games with permadeath. I think DCSS is the only roguelike I can tolerate permadeath in. But ultimately, any game with permadeath is one I eventually want to see the end of, and nothing makes that more annoying than permadeath. I've never thought the sense of pride, or the elevated sense of importance impending death yields to everything, make up for the frustration.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2014, 11:01:57 am »

The problem with pernadeath can basically be summed up as "How does this enhance the game?"

Most of the time it is "To make the game harder" or "To make the game longer". So it just adds fake difficulty onto the game.

Games that do pernadeath right are usually shorter games where it is about learning how the play the game, where each death all contributes to the final resolution and all the skills are true. Yet even that needs to be more then predicting deaths in advance.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2014, 11:08:44 am »

What's funny is Realm of the Mad God is using a pixel art graphic pack that you can buy. I can't seem to find the website, as searching anything related to pixel art gives me TONS of tutorials. Not saying all their art is from that pack, however.

I want to know, though, what do you guys think of the Binding of Isaac remake switching to pixel art from the old flash art?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2014, 11:15:05 am »

It just depends if they can pull it off well and isn't an excuse not to try on the graphics.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:20:45 am by Neonivek »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2014, 12:05:40 pm »

I have mixed feelings about perma-death. On the one had I love the tension and changes in play-style it creates, but dislike the frustration. I enjoyed how it was done in the Fire Emblem series where you can lose party members along the way without ending the game. I did have high hopes for how Haven and Hearth was going to deal with it as well with previous characters working as your ancestors who you could worship for benefits.

What's funny is Realm of the Mad God is using a pixel art graphic pack that you can buy. I can't seem to find the website, as searching anything related to pixel art gives me TONS of tutorials. Not saying all their art is from that pack, however.
Only half true, the bulk of the graphics are from a free to use set made by Oryx over on the Tigsource forums as part of a game making competition. While searching for them to post here I found out that the RotMD people have since paid him to get more in the same style.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2014, 12:13:56 pm »

I love permadeath, as long as the game does incredibly well at avoiding unavoidable/stupid deaths. There is literally nothing worse than playing a permadeath game and dying through something out of your hands.

This is why I hate it when games advertise a 'hardcore permadeath mode' - it's just the same game with no saves, and the game hasn't been modified to work fairly with permadeath.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2014, 01:07:56 pm »

I love permadeath, as long as the game does incredibly well at avoiding unavoidable/stupid deaths. There is literally nothing worse than playing a permadeath game and dying through something out of your hands.

This, a lot. If I die and there's something I could have done differently to live (that's reasonably apparent) then I don't mind at all, can do better next time. If it's completely random "the dungeon collapses and you died" bullshit, count me out.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2014, 01:14:42 pm »

This!. you forgot to mention MMOs that use Permadeath in a fun brilliant and avoidable way.
to name a few who've twisted the term "permadeath" a bit into "dying is really bad for you",
Eve, Darkfall, Dark souls?, DAOC, Ultima, and so on. 

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2014, 01:36:02 pm »

twisted the term "permadeath" a bit into "dying is really bad for you",

I think the 'dying is really bad for you' is the very best way to deal with it. Not the whole torchlight/diablo 'lose a bit of xp or gold' thing, but something which really makes you take a hit (like dark souls). I really like the mechanic of The Forest (and a few other games) where you wake up in a different/bad place on low health with none of your stuff the when you 'die' (or when you die for the first time). It gives you a strong reason to avoid death (more so than the permadeath 'oh well that's over, guess i'll just turn it off') and gives you the chance of learning from your mistakes.

It's a struggle though, because a lot of people hate the idea of being punished by their entertainment - and I do get that - but little risk gives little reward and all that.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2014, 02:48:17 pm »

didn't read through every post but one "feature" I'm really hating these days is "stream-lining".  When it was first being used to describe upgrades to games it made some sense, like the combat shift from Morrowind to Oblivion was actual stream-lining, because it took the dicey roll mechanics out of the hit equation and made sense.  Now it's just a term that means "our player base is too dumb to figure this out, and we need to hold their hands at every turn."

Also a lot of "open world" games these days.  What's the point of the open world aspect if the questing itself becomes linear and and points you exactly where you need to go?  Like Fallout 3 was a prime example of this.  There wasn't any real choice with what you were doing, and the story railroaded you hardcore.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15