Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problems and Solutions  (Read 1921 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Problems and Solutions
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:35:30 pm »

I don't have the latter. I need the latter to make the former go away.

Here's my problem:

I intend to vampirize my entire fort. The last fort in which I did this got every project completed within a very very short period of time, because I made dwarf blood carry a neutralizer for the vampiric sobriety issue. Therefore, everyone was always idle, and everyone made friends with everyone. One death sent the entire fort into a tantrum spiral. It's in the middle of that now and I can't bring myself to crack it open and watch it die.

How do I avoid that now? I don't want dwarves wandering around outside randomly when they have no job. I don't know of any project big enough or expansive enough to guarantee full employment for a lengthy period of time, and still be safe enough to avoid losing many lives. (Although, to be honest, that wouldn't be a big deal.) I'm trying to get people to hang out in their bedrooms, but that isn't working yet and/or I don't have enough bedrooms.

What do you suggest, people of the forums?

Also, in case people didn't notice, I'm back after a lengthy (2 month) hiatus. Hello.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Problems and Solutions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:40:35 pm »

Burrows? Military scheduling? Physical separation?

Offset negative thoughts with other stuff?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:47:37 pm »

As a people of the forums I suggest assigning individual statue gardens in everyone's bedroom, removing all professions from every dwarf, and letting them rot in those bedrooms until the desired effect is effected.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:53:17 pm »

Put everyone in sealed rooms by themselves with their job to do, and dump stuff down holes into a lower level where a small minority of hauler dwarves connect everybody up. The haulers may still tantrum together, but only 3 of them at a time or whatever you allowed in a sector.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 11:08:16 pm »

Quantum pile 50000 stones in a garbage dump and periodically move the dump across your fort and re dump the pile? You won't see any idlers for a while, for sure, but you'll need to micro other labors to get anything done.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 12:14:56 am »

I'm opting for a combination of dudlol's suggestion and megaprojects. I'm building a massive wall around a huge section of my fort, while excavating massive spaces underground, training a huge military, and building an intricate mass of traps and evil for sieges to get through. In their offtime, every dwarf gets to cycle seeds through three huge stockpiles of seeds, each taking from the previous.

Eventually I may find a better solution. Some of the above seem workable, although very very very difficult and time-consuming. Burrows drive me insane since there's no good way to copy/paste or fix them easily if you screw up.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 12:22:08 am »

Burrows drive me insane since there's no good way to copy/paste or fix them easily if you screw up.
You know you can both paint and erase the area designation, yes?

Copy/paste would be brilliant, though.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 12:55:29 am »

You may also build pumps or levers in their rooms.
I'm planning to build a dwarf gym and drop armored but unarmed goblins on them.
If they spend enough time playing with goblins, they will be hardened enough not to care about anything.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:17:55 am »

Burrows drive me insane since there's no good way to copy/paste or fix them easily if you screw up.

macros?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 02:34:56 am »

When I get a lot of idlers and don't really have any project to throw them at, I usually start building pump gyms.

They occupy idlers and also have a nice benefit of physically training them in the process.

So when they eventually tantrum, it will be so much more gruesome. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 08:24:58 am »

Pumps aren't really a good idea because they produce high-priority jobs. And I want a system that doesn't require much micro-management.

macros?
[/quote]

I do know I can paint and erase. It doesn't help a ton.

I know how to macro, but that doesn't help much either. The amount of micromanagement that would go into such a project renders it beyond the scope of my patience.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 05:38:08 pm »

Make a puppyfall in the dining room so they get used to death.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 05:47:58 pm »

Good plan. I'll implement that when I rebuild the fort. It's still dying a slow death; it'll be another year or so before everything has wound down and the survivors are clearly the survivors.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 06:06:00 pm »

AFAIK "witnessed death" is only generated when seeing _sentient_ creatures die.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119762.msg3845507#msg3845507

Thus, a puppyfall would be a project to keep a few dwarfs occupied for a while, nothing more. My experience is that a fort that can't handle one or three deaths isn't too tightly-knit, it's not pimped-out enough. Nice clothes and a garishly overdecorated meeting hall tend to put up a ridiculously comfortable buffer against bad thoughts.

If you insist on doing awful things to your bearded minions in order to build tragedy resistance, you could try to wound them repeatedly - "sustained minor/major injuries recently" counts as tragedy.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 09:59:18 pm »

So the solution there would be to cage-trap as many goblin invaders as possible, and then drop them from height instead of puppies or some such harmless, nonsentient critter. Am I right? Because that's perfectly practical.
Pages: [1] 2