Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cannib..... Err New Food source  (Read 2780 times)

Chibi Autarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cannib..... Err New Food source
« on: June 19, 2014, 06:51:08 pm »

So um I would like to switch my main food source in my next fortress (if at all possible) to my main and only food source in rimworld that is raiders or slaves or colonists. So is it possible to mod it so I can butcher Dwarves (unwanted or former members of my Fortress), Elves, Humans etc? 
Slaughter All Who Oppose

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Cannib..... Err New Food source
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 06:55:19 pm »

I think it is possible by adding the appropriate tags, and editing some of the ethics tags on the entity type raws, but THAT WILL REQUIRE A NEW WORLD REGEN.

Dwarves have ethics tags that prohibit eating or butcheirng sentients. This includes animal men, elves, and of course, other dwarves. Elves have ethics tags that permit the eating of sentients, if you need examples.

So, yes, you can do this-- but it will require generating a new world afterwards. You cant change ethics tags after worldgen, if I recall correctly.

Chibi Autarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »

I planed on make a new world anyways, So then how would I go about doing this?
Slaughter All Who Oppose

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 07:09:28 pm »

Might be a good idea to move this to the modding section.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 07:15:25 pm »

In your Dwarf Fortress folder, there should be a folder called 'raw'.

Open that, and then open the folder called objects. Within the objects folder, find the text file called entity_default.txt.

This file contains all of the civilizations in an unmodded game. The first entity should be the dwarves.

Just scroll down to the ethics portion and find these two ethics:
Code: [Select]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]

Change 'UNTHINKABLE' to 'ACCEPTABLE'.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 07:39:20 pm »

I'm fairly certain this alternation also allows you to use dwarf bone. Dwarf bone for everything! Make bolts with the bones of dead soldiers so they can continue to maim gobs in dead! Decorate the bolts with dwarf bone!
The only problem is that you might mess up stockpiles if tombs are assigned or coffins are available for burial. You'll need to memorialize all dead dwarves, so if one of the bugs (I'm a bit hazy on the details) excludes a dead dwarf from the list of memorializable deceased, and you already butchered the corpse, there's no way to get rid of their ghost.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 11:08:01 pm »

I've never actually tried eating dwarves, but I'm not sure that the sapient ethics allow that. Hence "eat_sapient_other" emphasis on other.

But again, haven't tried it. It might only be outside your civilization, or no dwarves at all, or it might work just fine without issue. Don't bank on it until you test, is all.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 12:25:17 am »

I'm fairly certain Elves eat each other in worldgen. If everything works upon similar principles, you should be able to butcher and serve -dwarf biscuits- (5).
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 12:31:03 am »

Well I've been playing with eat sapients acceptable for a year or so and have never seen a dwarf biscuit show up or any butchering jobs on dwarves. Elves yes all the time, but not my own kind. So if it is possible, it requires some special motivation, or weird modding.

I think the elves eating each other in worldgen is not a result of "eat_sapient_other" but rather "eat_sapient_kill" which allows eating enemy combatants. If another elf is an enemy combatant, then it qualifies as edible under THAT ethic, but perhaps not otherwise.

So that would probably apply to enemy dwarves for us, but they won't siege you by default, you'd have to mod that too. POSSIBLY if you slay a berserker or something, maybe a caravan berserker, it could be butchered. But I feel like I've had those too and still not seen butchering occur, with both tags on acceptable.

I mean it's absolutely possible to mod. If nothing else you could do crazy things like make other dwarves pets, etc. and surely make it work somehow. But I believe it has to be more involved than just ethics.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:33:28 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Chibi Autarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 05:28:39 pm »

Alright so I want to say thanks to everyone that posted and I changed the ethics did a quick test, As GavJ posted I was unable to harvest the test subject for food but one of the kobold corpses went missing so for most part I believe its working. So thank you and sorry for wasting all of your time and now off I go to go settle on a thrall making evil forest near a Dark Fortress Fun here I come!
Slaughter All Who Oppose

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 06:02:44 pm »

It would be cool if dwarfs could defend against the undead by eating the animated corpses.

Military squads armed with forks and knives.  And bibs.  And BBQ sauce.  And lemon scented wet naps.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 06:44:35 pm »

Loud Whispers beat you to it with his zombie bacon experiments.

Fun fact! Zombification increases meat yeild by approximately 20%

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 07:49:06 pm »

The example interactions seem to increase the zombie's strength, which affects the amount of muscle on a creature. Assuming that the generated interactions are similar to the example, then it makes sense for zombies to yield more meat.

But I have my doubts about butchering any enemy invaders that are the same race as your civilization's. Mostly because the few dwarven invaders I had seen were treated similarly to my own fort dwarves. They could not be moved between or released from cages, and would be given a coffin if they died.

Though it's unlikely to see dwarven invaders in an unmodded game. The only examples I can think of would be a dwarf forced into another civ through being kidnapped or having another civ capture their town during a war. There's also the thought that an adventurer may also be able to show up depending on where they were retired, but I haven't heard of that happening before.

John D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 09:07:27 pm »

Just scroll down to the ethics portion and find these two ethics:
Code: [Select]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]

Change 'UNTHINKABLE' to 'ACCEPTABLE'.

To get my dwarves eating kobold meat biscuits and making soap from goblin tallow, I had to set EAT_SAPIENT_KILL to REQUIRED.

No signs of dwarves eating dwarves, yet.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 09:09:23 pm »

To get my dwarves eating kobold meat biscuits and making soap from goblin tallow, I had to set EAT_SAPIENT_KILL to REQUIRED.

No signs of dwarves eating dwarves, yet.

Did you generate a new world afterwards?

Entity changes are one of the types of changes that cannot be done on a running save.
Pages: [1] 2