Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gear assembly not working  (Read 403 times)

Grip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Gear assembly not working
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:38:13 am »

I currently have a screw pump set up to clean muddy water, and I have already determined that the setup I've got works the way it's supposed to when pumped manually. Now I want to connect it to a lever so that the whole process is mostly automated, but without losing control over when it's active (to avoid flooding). Unfortunately, the gear assembly is giving me trouble. I have it placed one z level above my screw pump, and I channeled the tile as per the wiki's instructions. Even though I've got a windmill directly next to the assembly, though, it still says that it's inactive, even though the windmill is producing 40 power. It's like the windmill and gear assembly aren't recognizing each other, since the windmill says that the total power needed is zero. I know that the problem must be with the assembly, since placing the windmill directly above the channeled tile powers the pump. Is there something else I need to do?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Gear assembly not working
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:46:30 am »

I currently have a screw pump set up to clean muddy water, and I have already determined that the setup I've got works the way it's supposed to when pumped manually. Now I want to connect it to a lever so that the whole process is mostly automated, but without losing control over when it's active (to avoid flooding). Unfortunately, the gear assembly is giving me trouble. I have it placed one z level above my screw pump, and I channeled the tile as per the wiki's instructions. Even though I've got a windmill directly next to the assembly, though, it still says that it's inactive, even though the windmill is producing 40 power. It's like the windmill and gear assembly aren't recognizing each other, since the windmill says that the total power needed is zero. I know that the problem must be with the assembly, since placing the windmill directly above the channeled tile powers the pump. Is there something else I need to do?
A windmill sends its power to the tile directly beneath it.  It sounds like your gear assembly isn't quite lined up right, so you'll need another gear assembly to get the power from the windmill to the assembly you want to control with a lever.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Grip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: Gear assembly not working
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:53:40 am »

Haha, I knew it would be something simple. Thanks for the help, it's working now! :)