Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37

Author Topic: 30 Days of Modding - Day 30 - Done!  (Read 69944 times)

jwpartain1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Days of Modding - Day 0
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 07:32:11 am »

Thank you for your hard work!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 07:49:04 am »

So far it looks good. Most of the times the civs only send thieves or snatchers, so the actual combat is very rare. Its really just 2 civs that might siege: Naga and Centauren, both of them rather easy enemies. I think I leave it as is, and do the kobold thieves tunnel to fit these races next.

Werewolves are crazed and Banshees opposed to life btw. Seemed fitting.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 07:52:45 am »

I feel like keeping the Haunts restricted to line of sight would probably be best.

Being one that tends to seal my dead away after they are placed in a coffin, having it be any corpse on the map might make them just annoying enough to be avoided entirely, instead of adding a bit of extra fun.

If you have them skulk in after normal ambush time there will probably be plenty of dead to cause an enjoyable ruckus.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 07:54:36 am »

Cult of the Carp God. ;) A secret civ that attacks you, and can only be blocked by specific reactions/castes.

Dwarf Chocolate uses CREATURE_VARIATION a lot. Most interactions are added by adding tags like "CREATURE_VARIATION:GUST_ATTACK" to the creature you want. I tried that out, but I rather write my own stuff.

I'm not sure if we're even talking about the same thing... I'm talking about the interaction_dwarfchocolate file inside the Masterwork raws.  Lots and lots of stuff there that isn't really being used (except for worldgen secrets I guess), nothing particularly interesting, but a huge variety of very simple spells with appropriate counter methods that could be easily added onto a magic-using creature.

I mean, sure, if you want to write new stuff then that's your choice, but why go through the trouble when it's part of the mod already :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 08:02:22 am »

We are talking about the same stuff. Seth Creiyd did add a lot of creature_variations to add the interactions easily. They are used in creatures_beasts_masterwork and creatures_magic_ff.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 08:58:40 am »

Dev Log - Day 1

- Updated GUI to new civs, and corrected all tags to fit.
 - Added new civs and creatures.
 - Nagas are unarmed, unarmored, slightly magical, venomous, amphibious snake people.
 - Werewolves are skulking, infectious, strong, raging werebeasts.
 - Banshees are either necromancers, or bad thought-inducers, or instant-death-on-touch, or sleep-gas-explosion-on-touch.
 - Centauren are fast, wood-armor, wood-weapon wielding easy invaders.
 - Elementalmen, Blind Cave Ogres and Spawn of the Holistic added to the caverns.

Most of the day way spend playtesting those. I wrote them a couple of days ago, but made the details today, with a few first ingame tests. Added items, graphics, interactions... Missing are the noble names for them, as well as further balancing. But it looks ok so far. They are far more harmless than I expected. Only the Naga are a bit strong, due to their poison.

I included them in the test version, all triggers set to early, so tester will get to see them. Warning: Kobold mode is broken in the test version. Tomorrow I will fix up the Kobold mode, fitting it to the new civs, and await player feedback about the balancing of the new races.

Here the V.5.08 - Alpha. For Testers only.

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Days of Modding - Day 1 - Wailing Banshees and infected Werewolves
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 11:40:58 am »

Not sure I like the idea of skulking werebeasts. Granted, they shouldn't be able to siege, but they are very strong combatants naturally and a few bites and your entire fortress can start coming down with lycanthropy. At least kobolds/goblins are naturally fairly weak creatures.

As far as invisible Banshees/Shades and whatnot... What else can reveal them? Not all Civs have access to Wards of Armok. Actually... only the one does.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2014, 12:33:24 pm »

v5.08 Alpha, post to be updated and edited for completeness.. as i find stuff =)

Warlock Mode
mefits don't spawn at embark, or with migrants.
adders cant be butchered. (man snakes are the most common animal or is it just me...)
Late Summer, Traders from the Warlock mountain home come bearing nothing to trade at all, their prisoner pack animals unloaded their clothing and it was marked as "mine" so i unforbade it so some of my ghouls would quit qqing about being naked

third set of migrants mid-spring, second year anniversary of fort. no hostiles. not even a thief yet

jesus more migrants, 10Female 6Male, 1 Vampire, 10 ghouls 24 skeletons

year 4, more migrants, only an ambush of elves so far nothing new , population around 80. net worth in the 10 million area
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:54:17 pm by Fairin »

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2014, 12:36:01 pm »

v5.08 Alpha, post to be updated and edited for completeness.. as i find stuff =)

Warlock Mode
adders cant be butchered. (man snakes are the most common animal or is it just me...)

just hit summer, hehe... lets see how much fun this gets into...

Asps are mine, so I'll agree to that. Might be that I'm usually in a savage wooded biome.

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2014, 02:11:08 pm »

Oh, my most recent 5.0.7 warlock fort had one of my starting ghouls die due to prolonged combat with a Boa. Granted, I'm fine with the boa winning... I guess (not really), but I do have cause when the boa somehow has poisonous bites... Boas aren't poisonous.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2014, 02:28:21 pm »

Some good stuff certainly. Would advise giving werewolves a large damage reduction to anything except silver or natural toughness and a large damage multiplier with silver. (also that one material that is effective against evil creatures, I forget it's name.)  Otherwise if silvers the only option it makes them essentially immune to anything that isn't a player controlled creature. Little too gamey really. Magic/fire should certainly have good effect.

The suggestion of banshees giving mapwide negative thoughts is a great one. Makes it a priority to deal with, first couple times can be absorbed by a typical fort but letting it live could easily tip the balance in favor of a tantrum spiral. Far more interesting than a roll of the dice to see if someone dies without any possibility of intervention. the other creatures you've added to the race are actually making them look like one of the most interesting additions. Will they go through walls like Ghosts do currently?

Also, poltergeists..RIP any fort relying on contraptions to keep back lava/water/caveins. Like the hardcore version of gremlins. they should pull levers too.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:39:01 pm by SIGVARDR »

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2014, 02:38:04 pm »

if werewolves are op without silver/fire/magic then we have a good first defense against other invaders/circus ;)

this is df still, i say weaponise it
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2014, 02:41:18 pm »

Not sure I like the idea of skulking werebeasts. Granted, they shouldn't be able to siege, but they are very strong combatants naturally and a few bites and your entire fortress can start coming down with lycanthropy. At least kobolds/goblins are naturally fairly weak creatures.

As far as invisible Banshees/Shades and whatnot... What else can reveal them? Not all Civs have access to Wards of Armok. Actually... only the one does.
Wards dont do anything either. You have to find them, all races its the same. These things are for people that are bored with the normal game, and want invisible enemies and infectious werebeasts running around. Its optional after all. :)

Warlock Mode
Late Summer, Traders from the Warlock mountain home come bearing nothing to trade at all, their prisoner pack animals unloaded their clothing and it was marked as "mine" so i unforbade it so some of my ghouls would quit qqing about being naked
Mephits removed on purpose. Adders too small for butchery. Warlocks shouldnt trade... maybe. Havent decided yet.

Boas aren't poisonous.
will be fixed.

Some good stuff certainly. Would advise giving werewolves a large damage reduction to anything except silver or natural toughness and a large damage multiplier with silver. (also that one material that is effective against evil creatures, I forget it's name.)  Otherwise if silvers the only option it makes them essentially immune to anything that isn't a player controlled creature. Little too gamey really. Magic/fire should certainly have good effect.

The suggestion of banshees giving mapwide negative thoughts is a great one. Makes it a priority to deal with, first couple times can be absorbed by a typical fort but letting it live could easily tip the balance in favor of a tantrum spiral. Far more interesting than a roll of the dice to see if someone dies without any possibility of intervention. the other creatures you've added to the race are actually making them look like one of the most interesting additions. Will they go through walls like Ghosts do currently?

Also, poltergeists..RIP any fort relying on contraptions to keep back lava/water/caveins. Like the hardcore version of gremlins. they should pull levers too.
They already have. 10000:1 damage reduction actually. Moonsilver is the one you are thinking of. And they do have kobold AI, they do run away. And cage traps, cave ins, water, magma, fire, wall ins, the usual suspects.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2014, 03:40:07 pm »

Moonsilver is the one you are thinking of

I was thinking of cold iron there... which is often used for meteorite, which we already have in the mod ;)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2014, 04:06:15 pm »

How about this idea for banshees: its cry 'marks' a target with a visible flashing symbol that flashes faster and faster over the course of a year, after which they die.  It's a little closer to the original banshee myth, less intense than instant death, and gives you a prime choice for any suicide missions that crop up over the course of the year.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37