Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: 30 Days of Modding - Day 30 - Done!  (Read 69949 times)

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Days of Modding - Day 0
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 02:33:27 am »

Wow!
I really like how all this is going  :o :D

Centauren: I know they should be a early easy threat, but will wooden arrows be even sufficient to puncture leather armor?
I would suggest giving them at least something like stone or bone tipped arrows and maybe a type of melee weapon like spears aswell.

Banshees: I haven't quite understood, does the "10% instakill on map" mean that any random creature on the map could be killed despite beeing in range/touch/line of sight?
About the insta kill on touch: maybe reduce it to 50% -> if it works, the undetected killing goes on, if it fails the one gets uncovered.
If they arrive in several ambushing squads consisting only of one member you will be never sure if its safe or not :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 02:51:47 am »

They have a 10% chance to kill a random dwarf that is on the map. Regardless of who and where.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 03:20:54 am »

PTW. Should be interesting.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 03:58:45 am »

I split the banshee in three creatures now. Banshee (10% random kill when on map), Shade (70% on touch kill), Will o the Wipst (might explode and put everyone around it to sleep for a while). Will do testing now.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 04:36:17 am »

Would it be possible for the Banshee to show up as a "sieger", and just kind of camp out at the edge of the map so you have to go kill it, while the shade sneaks into your fort like a kobold?

It would make the "random" deaths apparent in both cases, while still requiring thought while building a fort.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 04:42:46 am »

Or...keep the instant kill ability on the shade, and change the banshee to be a more mental thing.

"A banshees wails can be heard throughout the fort" -> causes unhappy thoughts and slightly increments insanity chance, and it happens periodically as long as a banshee is on the map

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 04:45:23 am »

Can the naga and banshee attacks be blocked by anti magic?  I'd like to see more use for those df chocolate spells that show up in the raws.

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 04:49:44 am »

I like the idea of banshees, but the invisibility thing does kind of get me. Maybe have the Armoks Ward expose hidden banshees within a certain radius, similar to the range of control pylons?
It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 04:51:43 am »

omniclasm: Mh, yeah, I could link the banshee wail to the siren script. It would cancel all breaks, wake all sleepers and add negative thoughts about not being safe. Fits perfectly. :D

The problem with siegers are, that large armies appear. 100 banshees would spam quite a bit. I prefer them as skulking units.

IndigoFenix: I hate to say this, but they are actually really, really badly balanced. I know that I am not that good at balancing either, but the dwarf chocolate stuff is the most unbalanced of all things in the mod. I actually tried that first, added 6 spells to the naga, but they had cooldown times of 30-60 ticks (what?) and affected everyone one the map... While the anti-magic is a nice idea, I would have to rewrite all other reactions in the mod for this as well.

burrito25man: Maybe? I dont know. It would certainly target them, but I dont think there is a unhide-effect.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 04:52:38 am »

Can the naga and banshee attacks be blocked by anti magic?  I'd like to see more use for those df chocolate spells that show up in the raws.

Oh, and make the banshees/shades drop materials that instill magic immunity when made into clothes/armor.

Sounding more and more interesting.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 04:55:06 am »

Magic immunity: Doesnt quite work. It can only protect against syndromes/interactions, not against material emissions. Most spells do use those, like fireballs, firebreath, anything that shots a projectile... all those would still hit.

I could potentially do a mass replace and add a syn_class to all interactions, and make this material protect against it. but it would also block the positive buffs in that case, like music/speakers podium and gnome gear and so forth.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 05:32:14 am »

Mh, I think I have something nice for the Nagas now. Testing now. :)

Edit: Doesnt work, sadly enough. I used spawnunit with -1 on it to spawn hostile units... a Naga appears, and drops (spawns) 3 random snakes, cobras, asps, boas... it works, but unfortunately the snakes are also hostile to the Naga. -.- Back to square one.

Banshees now come in 4 types:
 - banshee: screams and wakes sleepers, stops breaks and gives bad thoughts.
 - shades: touches might kill.
 - soul wisps: explode on contact, making everyone fall asleep for a while. Low chance to start a fire.
 - haunts: very slowly raise the dead on the map. only line-of-sight. (might make it "a random corpse on map")

I am thinking about a poltergeist, with buildingdestroyer... if they make it into your fort, they would topple the buildings while being invisible... :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:48:16 am by Meph »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 07:01:26 am »

Thank god you can disable the banshees. All that sounds horrifying.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 07:07:01 am »

IndigoFenix: I hate to say this, but they are actually really, really badly balanced. I know that I am not that good at balancing either, but the dwarf chocolate stuff is the most unbalanced of all things in the mod. I actually tried that first, added 6 spells to the naga, but they had cooldown times of 30-60 ticks (what?) and affected everyone one the map... While the anti-magic is a nice idea, I would have to rewrite all other reactions in the mod for this as well.

???

Cooldown and range aren't part of the interaction, they are defined in the place that the interaction is added.

The reason why I bring up dwarf chocolate is that it already has things like antimagic and exclusive effects.  I made foil hats (which block mind-altering spells) and antimagic helmets (which block most other spells) for the gnomes and it would be possible to make other similar devices, but aside from the floating brains very few creatures actually use blockable spells.

While this would not defend against material emissions, I think that a race, megabeast, or animal that likes to use non-material curses that can be blocked by using specific items or counter-spells would be a nice addition.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 07:17:52 am »

Cult of the Carp God. ;) A secret civ that attacks you, and can only be blocked by specific reactions/castes.

Dwarf Chocolate uses CREATURE_VARIATION a lot. Most interactions are added by adding tags like "CREATURE_VARIATION:GUST_ATTACK" to the creature you want. I tried that out, but I rather write my own stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37