Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37

Author Topic: 30 Days of Modding - Day 30 - Done!  (Read 70005 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

That leaves only 6 buildings to go. :D

I am uploading a new test version right now. Has everything I did since the last update and 3 test reactions in the still: one for licences, one for boulder/blocks, one for coins.

Here it is: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8735 (found a minor bug: the reactions for the elf treesinger have SEED instead of SEEDS, which can easily be fixed in reaction_human.txt if you want, its at the very bottom. 34 entries of those.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:35:40 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yay! this is bloody fantastic =D
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile

*downloads*

I'm sure you probably said this before, but where will we be getting licenses at final launch? Is it only from trading with caravans?
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Two ways: trade from caravans. Buy from the human merchant, he offers a "buy random licence", which is as the name implies random and a bit expensive, but a fallback last resort option, in case you cant get any caravans.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Dev Log - Day 21

Today was testing day. I played 2 forts for several years, noted down things I might adjust a bit, but overall I do like the balancing. I will continue with the last missing buildings tomorrow.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Days of Modding - Day 21 - Just testing... I like the balance as is.
« Reply #440 on: July 29, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »

Loving it. :)

Bug noticed in testing:

In the metal merchant stall, "sell copper bars" reaction is looking for gold bars, not copper.

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 29, 2014, 10:43:21 pm »

Hrm... so I just lost a fort to a school of undead tuna that decided to somehow come on land and start smacking down my people... I think I have a problem with fish, even if undead... able to come on land.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 29, 2014, 11:12:31 pm »

Hrm... so I just lost a fort to a school of undead tuna that decided to somehow come on land and start smacking down my people... I think I have a problem with fish, even if undead... able to come on land.

That's not really a bug or anything. Just imagine them flopping menacingly towards your dorfs/humans/whatever.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 30, 2014, 01:48:17 am »

That's not really a bug or anything. Just imagine them flopping menacingly towards your dorfs/humans/whatever.
Imagine the noises they must make!
*flop*
*flop*
WHAACK!
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #444 on: July 30, 2014, 02:36:04 am »

Undead fish dont need to breathe, so they usually can come on land, its a vanilla "feature" ;)

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 30, 2014, 08:10:29 am »

Tuna were pretty fast, easily running down people on land. They must be part flying fish with how accurate they were at hopping around.

Wacking people with their tails and biting them in half... I just thought it a little (VERY) stupid how they were able to move so well above ground.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 30, 2014, 08:44:35 am »

Heh. Those are the things I love about DF. The absurdity of it sometimes.

Even if you lose a fort like that, then you'll always remember the fort that was ravaged in the "Night of the Undead Tuna".

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #447 on: July 30, 2014, 09:14:29 am »

I got something new for today: Cannons.

Similar to dwarven turrets, but with more BAM! behind it. They are a immobile pet creature that you have to buy/construct. They shoot 85!!! tiles far, and the cannon ball explodes, instakilling anything it hits. But they have to be loaded manually, at an arsenal.

I added two workshops for this, the Arsenal E-W and the Arsenal N-S. They are 5x2 and 2x5, and should fit on top of your walls. The cannons can shoot through fortifications and across z levels, so thats fine.

Each arsenal can load multiple cannons, on the screenshot you see 2 on each. The cannons shoot up to 10 times for a period of 5000 ticks, which is about 1 ingame week, with 500 ticks delay between each shot. The shots shouldnt start any fires, but leave ashes and scorched earth where they hit. It shoots on wildlife as well, depending on type (I think benign creatures are fine, but in my test it shot at snakes.)

Loading the cannons when the enemy is right at your walls is difficult, because the civilian worker runs, but the setup on the screenshot works quite well. The work tile is in the center, while the fortifications are on the side, so if the worker gets to the arsenal, he will not see through the fortifications. You can also use raisable bridges to block Line-of-Sight.

Cannons are easily killed in melee, while surviving a few arrows, about 3-4, before they "die", leaving a damaged cannon. This can be repaired for a new cannon.

They are made at the Cannon Engineer, the final upgrade of the Engineers Guild. I havent written that part yet, but the cannons themselves work fine. :) You can build them yourself, or order them from caravans, or buy them at embark.

I might do different ammo types later, for example one that does start fires, or one with warpstone in it.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 30, 2014, 09:53:25 am »

Great thing, like it.

Small suggestion: An Arsenal is more of a storage facility for ammunition and weapons. Maybe calling the building "cannon battery" and making it obvious that you have to have cannons pastured on it would work better?

Also, not shooting at wildlife doesnt work as far as I know, they will bombard everything they see. Which is, again, fine, because you would probably only load the cannon when you have attackers approaching. Or if you want to annihilate some chinchillas....

And lastly: Instakilling? As in "boom, you are dead" or as in "boom, massive damage you are unlikely to survive"? Because looking at normal forts go, ammunition will not be rare, and having the solution to every attack (including megabeasts) be the press of a button seems... easy.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 30, 2014, 10:00:16 am »

I can already see a profile for the cannons: Sappers (I can't think of a better name.) With multiple cannons in tow on the way to a new castle or a frontline, an attack has left you without the draft animals to tow them and most of your supplies and munitions stolen. Unwilling to abandon these (very expensive) pieces of hardware regardless of how much ammo they've got, you've elected to set up shop here with what tools and supplies you've still got and hope a band of merchants happens upon you. Would mostly likely include three guards, two miners, and two engineers/carpenters.

And lastly: Instakilling? As in "boom, you are dead" or as in "boom, massive damage you are unlikely to survive"? Because looking at normal forts go, ammunition will not be rare, and having the solution to every attack (including megabeasts) be the press of a button seems... easy.

I agree if it's instant death, but I'm assuming it's more anything below a certain point (horse for example,) probably wouldn't survive the impact and possible loss of limbs and blood.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37