Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37

Author Topic: 30 Days of Modding - Day 30 - Done!  (Read 70031 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: 30 Days of Modding - Day 8 - University and Manual Design
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2014, 02:09:23 am »

What was that about read rhymes with lead, but not with lead, and lead rhymes with read but not with read? :P

I have a neat system working for supply and demand. You get caravans selling "contracts", which have a random price depending on material they are made of, and you can rent out buildings to either merchants or workers for 1 season, which gives you 500 gold. You then have access to the merchants/workers reactions (which I havent done yet), until they leave again. Or you can kick them out any time.

Same thing applies to universities: You get a contract, hire a teacher, and humans pay for taking courses, which increases their skill by 1. After 1 season, the teacher leaves.

All the tests for this work, I just have to expand it to the... 33 workshop that are linked to it.  :D

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Three Blind Mice running on a keyboard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2014, 08:42:27 am »

What was that about read rhymes with lead, but not with lead, and lead rhymes with read but not with read? :P

Whether the weather is hot, or whether the weather is cold, we'll weather the weather whatever the weather whether we like it or not. :P
RegalDoom! The Little Warlock Who Could!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137494.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2014, 08:56:43 am »

Dev Log - Day 9

More human updates. I made a concept for an AoE buff like the dwarven tavern gives, just for race-specific workshop. Looks like this:
Another Idea: Stage (empty).
- Warlock   magic show      
 - Succubus   burlesque show      
 - Kobold   comedian      
 - Orc      show fight      
 - Drow      shadow play      
 - Goblin   troupe         
 - Human   bard         
 - Elf      singer         
 - Dwarf   storyteller      
 - Gnome   tech exhibition   

Each version would either affect anyone nearby, like the Dwarven Tavern, or only the worker.
Renting out the stage gives you gold.
Attending a show costs you gold.
Reactions/Buffs would be similar to Dwarven Tavern, giving buffs to attributes, adding tags or giving good thoughts.

I havent designed these workshop yet, first wanted to wait for feedback.

I did make a massive concept about guilds and a post about it here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139731.0. So far it gained positive feedback, so its very likely that I will add it into the mod as described. In short: 12 Guildhalls with 4 extensions each, making a clear, money-driven progression to unlock new industries. It will result in specialized castles, until you manage to build and upgrade all of them.

And I got something else done: The Council. Its four buildings you can switch between, calling migrants, allowing emigration, caravans, sieges and diplomats by other civs. Its the big brother of the dwarven embassy, so to speak.

Spoiler: Councils (click to show/hide)

Somehow the force event script triggers diplomat arrivals whenever a caravan is called, but never when I run "force diplomat race", so... one of the might get scrapped. Further testing needed. Or the diplomats only arrive after you become a barony, that might be it.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Days of Modding - Day 9 - Guilds and Council
« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2014, 09:31:08 am »

What does 'Ask For Public Opinion' do?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2014, 09:36:38 am »

Its already in Dwarf Mode, you can have a look yourself :P It gives you an announcement, telling you the most common negative thought in your fort. Its a script done by Putnam :)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2014, 09:37:55 am »

Huh. I'm waiting until the 30 Days of Modding is up before I start playing again.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2014, 09:39:01 am »

So you are waiting for manuals and humans?

IndigoFenix and Boltgun are working on the Gnomes and Succubi in the meantime, you can try them out. :) And I just released a Kobold update.

aldehyt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2014, 10:13:33 am »

If i can ask in this thread. Meph did you anticipate any balanced hardcore mode ?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2014, 10:17:56 am »

If i can ask in this thread. Meph did you anticipate any balanced hardcore mode ?
You can make one yourself, or I can include one the next update... yes. Just set invader triggers to low, raise their skills and set all seasons to active. Thats pretty hardcore. :P

aldehyt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2014, 11:03:12 am »

Ok this is fighting set up, but i thought about more economical challenges :]

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2014, 11:06:54 am »

Make suggestions. :)

I thought about more towers and earlier titan/megabeast attacks, and more likely tantrums as possible additions to the "harder something" settings. But what do you mean with economical? All you need is a large plump helmet farm, nothing changed on that ^^

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2014, 04:28:59 pm »

You mentioned a while back that the upgradebuilding script allowed you to make buildings like the dwarven guildhall rotatable, so the door would look right. Are there any plans for doing that, especially with building like the university? It's always bugged me when you have these big 11x11 buildings, and the dwarves just ignore the door and walk right through the wall because the building is reversed relative to them.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2014, 04:38:34 pm »

No.

While potentially possible, making buildings rotate would require 4 reactions, 4 inorganics and 3 new designs per building. It would make their job-menu longer as well. With 670 (somewhere around that number, including the dev version of human buildings(?)) of workshops at the moment, thats ~2500 building designs in total.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2014, 04:57:25 pm »

No.

While potentially possible, making buildings rotate would require 4 reactions, 4 inorganics and 3 new designs per building. It would make their job-menu longer as well. With 670 (somewhere around that number, including the dev version of human buildings(?)) of workshops at the moment, thats ~2500 building designs in total.
Is that the sort of thing that could be sourced to the community at large?

Sounds like a lot of copypasta and simple graphic stuff that would be suitable for trained monkeys, such as myself.

EDIT: Also, not that this matters compared to the sheer workload of doing this all, but if the reactions for rotation were at the bottom of the reaction menu it wouldn't impact much.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2014, 04:59:17 pm »

Anyone can do it, if they want to, but I dont know if its worth it for such a minor thing. There is no affect on gameplay at all.

I would rather have the community contribute to manual, wiki or ethnic differences of humans. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37